Which genre should i go?

PDA

View Full Version : Which genre should i go?

hippyguitardude
05-27-2007, 11:00 PM
well i recently quit my band since my bassist and drummer didn't give a sh*t about the music they played and i just put them in the band in the first place cause they're my friends (yes i did it, made a band w/ buddies). But now i'm forming a new band w/ a kid i sort of know who on bass and a to be decided drummer. My problem is i think i should narrow down what genres of music i write for, but i really love a lot of types of music so it's really tough. My question is what has the most marketability (or soemthing like that).

1. Loud Zeppelin style blues/rock stuff.
2. Early Phish style half improvisational stuff w/ long drawn out instrumentals.
3. Rush style progressive rock.

or i might just do all of them. They seem to go OK together. I'm still undecided

B2daR2daA2daD
05-27-2007, 11:09 PM
seriously i dont think marketablility is the main point, u should do music u really love, and have a passion for, beacuse then the listener can understand what you really want to tell...

might sound kinda cheesy but yeah..

hippyguitardude
05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
seriously i dont think marketablility is the main point, u should do music u really love, and have a passion for, beacuse then the listener can understand what you really want to tell...

thats wat i do do... i don't care at all about if i get famous or anything.... but the thing is i love all 3 of those genres. I listen to a huge variety of music and those just happen to be my 3 favorite genres. I really don't think any of them are very marketable in today's music scene. But w/e. I'll probably just end up doing a bit of a blend of the 3

yawn
05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Why impose a limit on yourself?

Anyways, option 1 has the most marketability. Wolfmother is a clear example of that.

malashea_GTRST
05-27-2007, 11:12 PM

i agree.it shouldnt be about what will get you the biggest profit but what you WANT to play

hippyguitardude
05-27-2007, 11:15 PM
OK... ijust thought that out more and decided to just do w/e.... i'll just write and see wat i get... and again, it wasn't that i just wanted money or anything... it was that i love all 3 genres too much to choose one myself... which is y i'm just gonna do w/e... this thread was sort of pointless

dookie_dude_
05-27-2007, 11:16 PM
yes the fact is that your probably never going to get big just because our music industry of today is so ****ed and confused, its unbelievable. even if your a great great band youll be just another band to them. its not about getting big, its about gigging at places and just having a good time. and i believe that the music industry hates led zeppelin 80s type. the key is to find what other people like and make it into something that sounds better and different to catch there eye.
or i might not know what im talking about...
but to answer you question, i Would go with Option 1 with 2's effects and screw #3
or dont define yourself in a certain genre..

rage6945
05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
you should do all three, but add in your own style into it, to make it yours. this way you can do all three but still be recognizable

rage6945
05-27-2007, 11:24 PM
its not about getting big, its about gigging at places and just having a good time.its about what ever you want it to be about

justin_fraser
05-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Jazz. Jazz is the way to go my friend. But if you dont want to do jazz, do all 3 of them.

whalepudding
05-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Don't limit yourself. Just write whatever comes out. Don't decide you're going to play exclusively blues/rock, cos what if you come up with a kickass prog riff? Just play whatever comes natural to you, even if that means making a big mash-up of those three styles.

ElectricMammal
06-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I would try mixing led zep and the doors...imagine a jimmy page solo to go along with a steady manazark keyboard rythem