My Situation

PDA

View Full Version : My Situation

MrGuitar123
05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure what to do. The Bandmates and I get along but theres one thing. I want to have a more metal sound, I'll even settle for Metalcore. But my bandmates want to sound like Comeback Kid and all of those Hardcore bands. I despise Comeback Kid, don't ask me why thats not important. They always change their mind on what band they want to sound like. I bring my riffs and the drummer throws them out and says there lead riffs not rhythm. So I come up with a rhythm just strummin' a few 5ths and he says "Be more Creative!"

So these guys can't make up their mind... Should I just quit or should I tell them I don't want to sound like Comeback Kid. I told the drummer I really didn't like Comeback Kid and he called me gay. So I'm thinkin' about quitting but I'd like some Light from the dudes at UG to shine on this situation. Any Help is appreciated.

thx in advance

stellardude531
05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
i say quite. for one, your a band that cant decide on what music to play. you mgiht as well nto be a band. and second, trying to soudn liek a specific band is lame.

theduke92
05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, if I were you, I'd tell the your bandmates to come up with their own style, instead of just trying to emulate someone else's. I wouldnt want to be in a band that didn't try to be unique.

Edit:

Oh, and the drummer sounds like a total dick. Next time he complains about your riffs, ask him if he can do better.

Unless he can, in which case you can ignore my advice.

rage6945
05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
wow..... this seems pretty simple..... you like one kind of music.... they like another..... you shouldnt be in a band with them. and it sounds like your drummer is a tool

newpurgatory
05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
its pretty gay that ur drummer is telling you what to write. you all need to be creative and while its important for the whole band to like what you play you cant have your band mates tossing out all of your riffs and stuff. try to settle for a style youll all like or at least let there be one song which u write which is more up your alley. im not an expert on this but thats how i would feel.

theduke92
05-28-2007, 07:15 PM
wow..... this seems pretty simple..... you like one kind of music.... they like another..... you shouldnt be in a band with them. and it sounds like your drummer is a tool

Actually, it would be stupid for him to quite just because they like different music.

Try to blend the styles, see how it comes out.

mickyd
05-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Actually, it would be stupid for him to quite just because they like different music.

+1

but also stop trying to set out to sound like your favourite band of the moment

get some originality

MrGuitar123
05-28-2007, 07:21 PM

I acctully have tried but I feel as though I'm sacrificing and getting nothing I want in return. If I sounded like a twat there I'm sorry.

My riffs that I make on my own are either 'to showoff' or 'doesn't set out to how they want to sound'

theduke92
05-28-2007, 07:25 PM
I acctully have tried but I feel as though I'm sacrificing and getting nothing I want in return. If I sounded like a twat there I'm sorry.

Well explain to them that you aren't getting enough musical freedom in the band. If they blow you off, tell em to go **** themselves and go rock out with some cooler people. Chances are if you look hard enough you'll find people who are nicer, more musically open, and more talented than they are.

mulletboy14
05-28-2007, 07:34 PM
You make the rest of the band sound like dicks, but i kinda know where your coming from. If you can't comprimise, and its not going anywhere, i would say quit. If you can't blend the sounds, or they won't even let you, don't just let it be that way, and be permenently pissed off.

whalepudding
05-30-2007, 04:19 AM
Quit.

myvaliantleap
06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
At least someone can spell the damn word correctly.

mr. riff
06-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I haven't had any problems with my drummer and he's a hardcore/punk too. Basically he focuses on his style and I focus on mine and we don't knock each other's styles, probably cuz we're like best friends. If your bandmates don't appriciate your style than you should leave. What's the point if you can't express yourself in your music?