Multi-Instrumentalism

PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Instrumentalism

UMadeMeRealise
05-29-2007, 02:17 PM
For a musician, the benefits of multi-instrumentalism have been well documented. If you take up another instrument or two in addition to your guitar, you will improve exponentially in a relatively short amount of time. Do realise that you are NOT hindering your progress at guitar by learning another instrument. Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Hlaen, Buckethead and Billy Corgan are all fine guitarists who also play piano. Kirk Hammett, George Harrison and Dan Donegan play the sitar. There are days when you may not want to go near a guitar. Having a keyboard and mandolin around, in my own personal experience, is a good way to stay productive on those days.
I would like to do a series of columns on some of the instruments I play, and how they can help you on guitar. I'd lke to cover keyboard, mandolin and bass. If anyone's interested, let me know.

BassTalk
06-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Yes, I have to agree: multi-instrumentalism is a great concept. Not only it lets you cover a lot of ground in terms of instruments, but it takes you closer to being a composer. I'm a guitarist at heart, but I learn the bass, violin and drums simultaneously. This gives me a wider compositional talent, since I can figure out where and when to put a catchy bassline or drum fill. But I believe it isn't applicable for everyone, since not every guitarist can get used to learning a lotta different instruments at the same time.

thecameronator
06-04-2007, 03:39 AM
i play guitar, bass, drums and piano, and it just learning other instruments helped me understand "music" itself a lot quicker

aznwarlord
06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't think playing Guitar and Bass counts as 2 different instruments. But I would like to learn how to play piano. It make writing songs a lot easier.

hurlyz
06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I can play a bit of keyboard/piano aswell as a few simple drum beats! :)

I'll keep playing piano/keyboard more and more though... I wanna get better at it!

I wish I had a bass to learn it aswell! But I love my guitars! :)

SlackerBabbath
06-21-2007, 04:49 AM
I don't think playing Guitar and Bass counts as 2 different instruments. But I would like to learn how to play piano. It make writing songs a lot easier.
I think Bass and Guitar should be classed as two different instruments. Although they are both string instruments, they are played in very different ways, same as a mandolin, a banjo, a violin or a sitar.
Personaly I sing, play bass guitar, lead guitar, harmonica, ocarina, a bit of keyboards and I can hold a steady beat on a drum kit (just enough to get away with it. ;) ) and it's true, since I started learning all these other instruments, it seems to have opened up whole new fields of music to me that I wouldn't have thought of before.

TheShred201
06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
I can sing, play guitar/bass, drums, piano, trumpet, french horn, didgeridoo, recorder, flutephone, irish penny whistle, and some other stuff.

SlackerBabbath
06-22-2007, 05:36 AM
I can sing, play guitar/bass, drums, piano, trumpet, french horn, didgeridoo, recorder, flutephone, irish penny whistle, and some other stuff.
I'm experimenting with didgeridoo at the moment. I've got the circular breathing sorted but I'm just having a bit of a problem putting that together with blowing a rasberry down a tube and making it sound like one continuous note.
Any secrets? Or is it just a matter of perseverence?

GiBsOn_PuRe
06-22-2007, 11:22 PM
I find that taking up a classical instrument, or being regularly involved in an orchestra, helps immensely with learning theory.

I myself, know how to play, besides guitar and bass, mandolin, banjo, cello, piano, tinwhistle (only a couple jigs and reels), harmonica, and can keep a fairly good beat on drums.

poochy
06-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Bass, Guitar, Piano, Viola, drums, French horn, Baritone horn, trumpet, tuba, Clarinet.

Everything past drums, I'm okay at. I'm pretty good at everything up to the drums. If you get what I'm saying.

If you want some advice, let me know.

amisuary
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah I agree with you. I play the drums, guitar and violin, but I'm actually a drummer at heart. I've always wanted to be a composer and stuff but I still prefer to be behind the drumset because that's what I do best.

Nihil
06-29-2007, 11:02 AM
i just picked up a violin yesterday after almost a year of rigorous guitar practice and i love it, i've found that even switching from acoustic to electric to bass or something really gets your brain working, i also play drums, mandolin, piano, and a little bit of flute, tin whistle, and harmonica