Two Bassist Band

PDA

View Full Version : Two Bassist Band

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Haha, yep. Me and my friend decided yesterday we would work on a project (i.e., a band) experimenting with the idea of utilizing two bassist (me and him). But... there are a couple of issues with this.

1) The guy who was around while we were talking about it... I think he's assumed he's in as well. Don't get me wrong, he's a ****en awesome guitarist, but his persona isn't what.. Shall we say, it isn't exactly immediately likable. His jokes aren't funny, and he knows he's good (which is bad), but he's had some rough times recently, and I wanna let him know he's not involved with this new project, without hurting him (Force knows why I care - he kicked me out of his other band and replaced me with someone else without notice)....

2) The oher bassist has around four more years experience than me (I've only got, say, 9 months), and I'm kinda worried about that ability gap, am I gonna be able to keep up with him, am I gonna be able to come up with and play decent rhythms and tunes that are on par with him? He's a great mate, though, so I don't think there'll be that much of a problem.

Anyquestions comments on how we're gonna try and pull this one off? It seems a good idea, and I wanna see it get big.

NickRaciti
05-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Listen to Lightning Bolt.

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Excuse me? What does that mean?

Deathcore Dude
05-30-2007, 05:21 AM
2 bassists seems as pointless as having 4 guitarists..these days you barely hear the bass in albums, let alone 2...gluck with that..especially having both basses heard.

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Right. I can see you are unappreciative of the directions we're going in... Well, we're only gonna have one guitarist anyways, so the basses would be clearly audible... I think it would be pretty obvious who is playing which bassline, we have two completely different sounds.

Deathcore Dude
05-30-2007, 05:34 AM
all i can say is go for it...wanna try something diff ...unless their is already a 2 bassist band ive never heard off...just try it see if it works...the worse that can happen is a producer/label saying no to the idea.

kaptink
05-30-2007, 08:44 AM
A lot of dance bands like CSS and LCD soundsystem use two bassists.

NickRaciti
05-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I thought that you were a band with only 2 bassists. Your idea sucks.

lolmnt
05-30-2007, 12:28 PM
it could work but whats the point. why dont one of the bass players play guitar? Playing bass really helped me with playing guitar.

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
And be like everyone else? No thanks. Besides, if we wanted two guitarists, we happen to know two guitarists who are perfect for the job, and we'd have had them. As it is, we are deciding which guitarist to ask, and we are replacing the standard 'rhythm' guitar, with bass. That's the sound we're going for.

NickRaciti - it's worth a try. Why does the idea suck, I'd be interested to know? It's interesting and new. For the kinda stuff we're playing, anyway.

Kaptink - I wasn't aware dance bands had bassists or drummers. I thought the rhythm section was computerized (due to a lack of musicians who can stand that stuff LMAO j/k), but meh.

Y'know, it strikes me how negative these responses have been. If you like the idea, thanks for the support, if you don't, you're only making us as a collective more determined tp make it big. I'm not saying we WILL make it, but we will fight tooth and nail for it.

However, I thank Deathcore Dude for his support.

dalanhilton
05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow. Just... wow.

I think your idea is a good one. Push the envelope, explore new directions, have fun with it!

1) When y'all rehearse, just don't tell that guitarist about it, plain and simple. That's his bad for inviting himself along where he wasn't truly invited.

2) You two are obviously going to have your different strengths and weaknesses, and you'll just have to learn to work together. Sure, he may be a much better musician than you, but that should do nothing but elevate and improve your playing. Perhaps something you could do is keep the beat while he solos, and maybe have both basses playing the same notes in parts, so that the song doesn't sound like there is a huge discrepancy between you two.

Keep at it, and don't listen to all these silly people telling you its pointless or to add guitarists.

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, man. I really appreciate that. Yeah, I was talking to him (t'other bassist) this afternoon, and we figured out that I tended toward the softer, more rhythmic stuff (i.e. Rush), and he did the technical, fast and (being honest) mostly more difficult stuff (i.e. GNR, RATM, Anthrax, Megadeth). Well, Anthrax and Megadeth maybe not so much difficult ( I don't actually know - Metallica > Megadeth and I've never attempted to learn any Anthrax :P). So we can work out our respective parts. Like, we could incorporate call-and-response style bass lines... That'd be cool. We'd have to see where we got.

As for the unwanted guitarist...Yeah. You're right. Lol.

Mr.Loomis_shred
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM
O_o...from what i know rush has way hard bass than megadeth, anthrax and especially GnR...imo actually the bass lines are easy in those bands and arent very...well groovy as i like bass to be.

seems like a good enough idea, however i cant see it being big in any sense at all. Bass orientated bands tend not to get to the same level as well...guitar driven ones if you see what im saying, except among bassists. I dont believe in writing music for to become big anyways...its expression and i think if youve got that you dont need to become big at all( it is nice though:p: )

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah, you have a point.

The GnR thing is just my warped sense of simplicity. Lol

phillyguitar
05-30-2007, 02:16 PM
i agree with some of the above users' comments.

I think having two bass players is pointless because: the bass player and the drummer rely on each other to create a solid rythm section. With two bass players, unless you have a phenominal drum player, it will be extremly difficult for the drummer to decide who to rely on to keep rythmic stability.

If one of you wants to play melody, I think you should pick up a guitar. Why? Because the ears naturally pick up the lowest and highest sounds they hear first. So if two guys are playing bass, one of them is going to get lost in translation unless a seasoned musician listens to your records or someone invests a lot of time into listening for the extra bass parts.

View Spinal Tap, in one song all of the guitar players play bass!. You can just see how silly it would be, even if you had two bass players.

That being said, don't stop from doing it if you feel you really want to try it. However the reason I say DON"T DO IT! is because its impracticle.

BassistGal
05-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I see alot of the people don't like the idea of two bassists.
My reply to that attitude is this:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7179726751961627284&q=victor+wooten
Two bassists and a drummer, unbelivably amazing sound! (Skip the beginning music its not as half as good as the rest).
Real songs starts at around:
3:05. - A Chick From Corea
13:45 - Bangcock Blues
23:00 - Stan The Man

Just to show it all that this idea is not only innovative and doable, but also makes great music.

IndieJedi
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
BassistGal, LMAO at your first line in your siggy. With regards to the video, those bassists ROCK!!!

PhillyGuitar....

First off, if the drummer can't decide who to follow, then the drummer has ****ed up. Since we'll be playing call-and-response basslines (not forgetting we're likely to have guitar and vocals), the drummer would only nedd to play a beat that wouldn't clash with what we were doing, or follow both of us. And for the time that we aren't calling and responding, we'll be playing the same basslines, just that one will be a couple o' octaves higher than the other. Gives it more texture. So I feel.

We chose two bassists because as bassists were sick of all the guitarists getting the Oohs and Aahs. For example, everybody says "Oh, I feel sorry for Alex Lifeson, playing YYZ." NO. Geddy Lee is the real hero there.

As a last note, we play for our enjoyment, not the listeners. As someone famous once said (James Hetfield?), "If they like us, we welcome them. If not, **** 'em."

sergio_valente
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't mean to shoot you down, and I'm sure it can be done, and there are bands that have done it, but it is really hard. I went down that road and it didn't really work out.

Mixing and making sure both basses occupy different ends of the sonic spectrum and sound distinct is really important.

DarTHie
05-31-2007, 05:18 AM
Try it, it can't harm you.
Did you practiced with 2 bass yet?

IndieJedi
05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't think mixing would be a problem...

Yeah, we had a practice today. It was really cool, I completely dug it. We came up with two completely differnt riffs, arsed about with them, and amalgamted them inot one song. And now, so begins the growth and evelopment of said song. I really think we should record our jamming sessions because we both come up with random stuff while thinking or taking a short break.

Someone said before about one of us playing melody... We are working to come up with melodic basslines. So, we like, play melodies, but they double up as the bassline, but for the main time we provide the melody. The guitar would provide accents, and just generally wander about, possibly doubling/adding over what the basses are playing.... Depending on the type of material.

Ramblin'_Man
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I think the hardest part will get making sure the drummer knows who to follow and is following said bassist. Also make sure you give the guitarist solos occasionally(if he likes them) so he stays happy an has fun as well.

IndieJedi
05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
You speak wisdom... We'll make sure from the off that we are almost never playing both basses at once, so as to make life easy for the drummer. As for what we do with the guitarist. Well, that depends on who we get...

Raz_Steroid
05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
If your going to have the other bassist be a false-lead guitarist, get him some effects. It would allow you to be more creative and abstract, and would get rid of the boring normality of the instruments. also, about wether to have an actual guitar, imo, don't do it. I say that as a guitarist. I think that if you have a good idea, stick with it. Hell, try to grab some other strange instruments if you can, your band seems like an awesome idea. I just wish that my bandmates were more willing to do things like this... I don't know, my dillema.

If you feel like it, pm me a link to some of your music if you make any and put it on the net, I'd really like to hear it!

Heavens_To_Hell
05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
2 bassists seems as pointless as having 4 guitarists..these days you barely hear the bass in albums, let alone 2...gluck with that..especially having both basses heard.

It's not the same. It'd be more like having to guitarists, as long as one bass plays like lead and another plays rhythm? that would also solve the ability gap...kinda. I've thought about this but getting a drummers been hard enough...but enough from me! :D

elementwood89
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
There was a song from either the late 70's or 80's that was real popular and it featured stand-up bass playing against overdubbed electric bass and the two harmonized with each other... I really wish I could remember the name of that song...

But anyways go for it, I think it'd be cool for some stuff (depending on your style of music). I would focus on making harmonies, or play the same thing in different octaves... you could probably get some pretty cool sounds. Another cool idea maybe would be one bass setting a rhythm and the other doing like a slap solo or something.

I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with!

NickRaciti
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
NickRaciti - Why does the idea suck
Because its a mediocre attempt at being different.

Raz_Steroid
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Because its a mediocre attempt at being different.
So what have you done lately?

IndieJedi
05-31-2007, 04:26 PM
NickRaciti - Well. It's an attempt. Which is more than can be said for you. What would your idea of being different be? Having black and white make-up on stage and having a huge tongue.... BTW, that's not a dig against KISS, or Gene Simmons..

The rest of you, thank you for your support.

Elementwood89, we had pretty much those same ideas today... Yeah the other bassist really likes to slap, and I admit it's very cool 'n' funky...

Heavens To Hell, I generally have trouble finding a drummer who I don't hate or who isn't totally unreliable... Lol.

Raz Steroid, we are working some material, getting it ready to put on the interweb, 'cos I was talking to someone who knows Clive Davis (a big record company guy) on MySpace, and he's interested in that. ^_^ Also, we were toying with the idea of introducing keyboards, sax, or even maybe a harmonica (aka mouth organ)!!

Yooper
05-31-2007, 05:07 PM
I think it sounds like a cool idea. My band does something similar. I and a fellow bassist will either switch between singing lead or playing bass or we will do both. 2 bassists are awesome to listen to in a band. Good luck with it.

I dont think the ability gap is a major problem just dont try to jump up to his level. Let him play the harder things and you play things not as complicated.

Doolittle
05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
this can turn out really nice. Mike Watt has a band that is only two basses called Dos, and his wife isn't as great as him and they go to together perfectly. Check that out. Also, don't worry about the gap. You play something easy and your friend could play something harder, it can sound good, but remember it can also sound bad.

The Message
06-01-2007, 01:20 AM
i would like 2 here it go 4 it

the_poison125
06-01-2007, 01:37 AM
NickRaciti -Also, we were toying with the idea of introducing keyboards, sax, or even maybe a harmonica (aka mouth organ)!!

sounds cool id like to see how the diferent instruments will all sound together

IndieJedi
06-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Should sound good. I'm really hyped up about it.

I was thinking earlier, and I thought that the real talent lay in being able to make something simple sound good and complicated, rather than just playing something complicated.

Ramblin'_Man
06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
its funny like the day before you posted this i was talking to two of my friends who both play bass about this idea. haha well, i cant wait to hear it post a link whenever you record some music.

Metal_Rich
06-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Ace idea dude, you have to record some stuff.

kaptink
06-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Kaptink - I wasn't aware dance bands had bassists or drummers. I thought the rhythm section was computerized (due to a lack of musicians who can stand that stuff LMAO j/k), but meh.

:haha when i say dance bands I stress emphasis on "bands" not the tripe made by some nerd with a laptop.

IndieJedi
06-03-2007, 06:49 AM
LMAO yeah. I hate that stuff.

The other bassist has a mic on his comp, so we may get something online today for ya'll. :D