Help

PDA

View Full Version : Help

the memory
05-30-2007, 02:34 PM
i need advice VERY quickly here so any helpful responses are greatly appreciated.

i am having a number of problems with my band just now.
a couple of months ago...3 members of the group set up a bank account WITHOUT asking me or our bass player. They then chose to text us demanding that we put 10 a month. I felt this was unfair and refused to pay and they dropped it.

But now they have changed the name of the band. At no point was I asked or even told they were thinking about changing it. I didn't find out from them, but from a friend of mine who the rest of them actually never speak to. Their excuse for me not being told/asked is because i don't go out with them on friday nights.

This is among a variety of other things, but anyway.
Suposedly we are set to record songs on monday...and i am at the point of wanting to quit. I know if i quit now our singer is going to actually explode, so are there any suggestions are to how i should quit? such as speaking to just one person, or the whole band at once?

thanks in advance.

BHC zoley
05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
shove your bass up your least favourite members ass.........body of the guitar first :)

812many
05-30-2007, 02:43 PM
dont tell them that you quit. Then when they find out, say you didnt tell them because you were never with them on friday nights. hahahaha.

Joycey
05-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Personally i would wait. I remember when i quit my first band i just told them all straight on a night out saying other commitments etc, to be honest it was because the other guitarist was a complete control freak but whatever. If you tell them all together then you might find people asking you to stay and it could be a misunderstanding.

Alsoif you've already paid for the studio time then you should do that because then when you do leave you've got examples of you playing to show anyone who expresses an interest in you.

The bank account thing is probably just an idea that went wrong, i mean if you can't afford to put the money in then that's fair enough and they should have consulted you.

It sounds like you're leaving mostly because you feel like you're out of the decision making process e.g. changing the name, bank account etc. I'd start off by bringing this up with them and you'll either get a "Sorry" or it'll come out that they're actually trying to get rid of you, in which case you can leave and not feel bad about it.

Again i would stress that you stay with the band for the recording because it's expensive if you're prepaid for it and you also get a sample of your playing, plus you never know things might actually sort themselves and you won't want to leave afterwards. If you're sure you want to leave just be honest and whatever you do don't get angry, so long as you're polite and honest they can get as pissy as they want but you've got legitimate reasons to be upset with them and if they don't respect that then that's their problem!

Good luck!

matttt
05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
This singer, is he any close friend of yours, or friend at all?
Cos the way theyve been treating you isnt acceptable, I would say leave, or at least record with them so that they dont have to worry about that, but thats only if you want to be nice.

the memory
05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
dont tell them that you quit. Then when they find out, say you didnt tell them because you were never with them on friday nights. hahahaha.
i like that ;)
haha

i've already tried bringing up the not telling me stuff thing already and it didn't really work.
i just got sort of ignored :/

Icarus Lives
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I say do the recording and then leave right away. That kind of behaviour is unacceptable in a band, I've been in that very same situation before, get out and tell them exactly why.

the memory
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
This singer, is he any close friend of yours, or friend at all?
Cos the way theyve been treating you isnt acceptable, I would say leave, or at least record with them so that they dont have to worry about that, but thats only if you want to be nice.

the singer isn't a particularly close friend, no.
it also infuriates me when he tries to take over the sort of....guitar riff writing.

but yeah, i think i'll wait until the recordings done and THEN let them find someone else.

Dutch_Apples
06-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Am I the only one who is getting the impression that if they did those things to you, they wanted you to quit instead of firing you?

Freunleven
06-01-2007, 08:31 AM
How is the bass player taking all this? If you're in the same boat, and have the same viewpoint on the matter at hand, ditch these wankers, find a drummer, maybe a vocalist (if none of are inclined to sing), and move on.

Oh, and if you've written any of the songs, make sure that you get some sort of copyright protection on them as soon as you can. From the sound of things, these guys might try to steal your work on top of it all.

The recording thing, well, if you're nice enough to sit in on the recording session, play your parts as well as you can, and then tell them that you're quitting for the reasons you've stated here, you won't have burned your bridges behind you. That is to say, you might be invited back into the band if their situation changes in the future.

:satan: