Skill: How much does it matter?

PDA

View Full Version : Skill: How much does it matter?

Thebiz
05-31-2007, 01:24 AM
This is going to be blatantly to the point, and many people will think I'm an idiot for saying this, but...how much does instrumental/singing skill matter? I know for a fact that it matters to at least some degree, because you know you would not want to hear a train wreck at a concert. However, different people like different things, and some bands are trying way too hard to be good at their preferred musical areas and not trying hard enough on delivering either good rhythms, catchy tunes, etc., while other bands perform very easy songs that gain much attention and praise.

I'm prepared to be flamed by the guitar gods of this forum.

Spydr
05-31-2007, 01:28 AM
In my opinion, skill is important if you want to be around for more than one or two songs. Bands that people listen to for years and years are usually more skillful than bands that are around for a few and then nobody ever hears about again.

zackyG
05-31-2007, 01:30 AM
In my opinion, skill is important if you want to be around for more than one or two songs. Bands that people listen to for years and years are usually more skillful than bands that are around for a few and then nobody ever hears about again.
green day. blink 182. you get the point?

CODE
05-31-2007, 01:31 AM
You don't have to be perfect, as long as you have some showmanship. People would rather watch a band jumping around all crazy with some mistakes than a perfect band just standing there.
As for the skill, people need to have some musical talent.

Cobalt Blue
05-31-2007, 01:34 AM
unfortunately you can have all the skill in the world and it might not matter. if you can write catchy tunes and you have enough skill to make your simple songs sound good then you can go somewhere with a little luck.

Heyfredyourhat
05-31-2007, 01:36 AM
IMO skill is important for credibility and longevity. I know loads of people who can sing well, but play (guitar) horrible and vice versa, they are great to listen to when u are sitting around having a few drinks. But then throw a recorder in front of them and the sh1t hits the fan.

I used to think that mediocre skill and good recording equipment would make an amazing album until i went to see slowhand and john mayer, and then i realized there was no substitute for skill, and maybe passion and feeling.

Sapient
05-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Talent and musical knowledge lead to diversity in your music, and greater respect from musicians. Even someone without a trained ear can hear the difference between Fall Out Boy and Dream Theater. Really, it all depends on the type of music, so that isn't all that fair of a comparison, but still. Talent lets you not sound like a Fray concert.

cris9288
05-31-2007, 01:37 AM
well you can't suck, cuz that's no fun, so ur right when you say it matters to some degree, but you def have to be able to entertain and get people's attention...it's a balance of both really look at bands like ACDC for example, their music is incredibly simple but it's very catchy, on top of that angus young is a very talented musician as are the rest of the band so i think it has to be balanced...that's why, IMO, people like steve vai and musicians like that don't hit the mainstream because they try to hard to be guitar god virtuosos (and even though i'm not a steve vai fan, i have to admit that they succeed) and i don't mean mainstream like corporate sellouts, i mean like mass appeal, don't misinterpret me here

Leper Affinity
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
I think you need a lot of skill and talent. You don't need to be a shredder or know every chord, but you need to be good at what you do. It is no use trying to be a metal musician if you only know a few power chords and your singer can't sing in key and can't scream without tasting blood, and you can't be a good blues man if ALL you know is 12 bar blues when there is so much more to it.

But does skill or talent bring success? Nope. I think it is success that is not needed. You can have a really good band with many good songs without success, so I think success is the only part that is not important.

brodo_boosh
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
By skill do you mean musial skill, or skilled at your instrument.
I listen to lots of differant genres of music, from folk to doom metal to shred to glam rock. You dont need to be able to let out a three minute, insanae solo to be a good musician, maybe to be a great at your instrument.
If you write great songs and only play an instrument to acopany your brilliant lyrics, then your still a great musician.
Take Devendra Banhart as a example, how many of you have heard of him? Not many I would assume. He's not a brilliant gutar player, in interviews he has admited to sucking at guitar, but he writes brilliant songs.
But then, again, how many of you have heard of him? You can't use green day and blink182 for al the examples, there just pop bands basically, so are aimed to be simple and popualer.

batman123
06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Well I think there is ALOT of skill in writing catchy songs (awesome hooks, groovy rythms, etc...). You will need some musical talent as well otherwise those songs aren't going to happen. Like blink 182, they have tons of catchy stuff and it is for the most part pretty simple, but they're obviously making more money that shred metal band down the street.

adambc
06-02-2007, 06:08 PM
skill isnt nearly as important as knowledge.

I have no idea if Tom Delonge (blink182) can actually play the guitar really well, but he has enough knowledge to write good music that people want to listen too.

Even people like Clapton have really simple songs that take little skill to play, but are great songs. As long as you can write quality, appealing music that is within your talent range, you'll be appreciated.

I used to be in a band, where I would write the music and the lead guitar, but often it was out of my playing ability, so id make them on powertab and send it over to the other guitarist. I had the knowledge and ability to write the music, and he had the skill to play it. Who was the more valuable member of the band?

phraject
06-18-2007, 06:28 AM
green day. blink 182. you get the point?

What? You think these guys don't have skill just because they play easy songs?
Haha.

MadassAlex
06-18-2007, 07:57 AM
What? You think these guys don't have skill just because they play easy songs?
Haha.

It'd be good to see some use of their "skill" since if they have it, why not use any of it in a song?
I know they're trying to be "punk" after just so many punk bands sign to major labels, it kind of loses the attitude and thus playing simple songs for the sake of it becomes pointless.

Pretty much, skill is important if you want to actually play wicked ****.

adambc
06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
another point to add,

youll notice a stark differance in the crowd at a one of these so called "talentless" bands like blink or greenday or fall out boy, compared to a "real" band.

one is supported by know nothing 12 year olds, the other is supported by those little girls parents.

the_triangle
06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
wtf kind of question is that? is skill important. thats pathetic.

bassplayerric
06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
This is going to be blatantly to the point, and many people will think I'm an idiot for saying this, but...how much does instrumental/singing skill matter? I know for a fact that it matters to at least some degree, because you know you would not want to hear a train wreck at a concert. However, different people like different things, and some bands are trying way too hard to be good at their preferred musical areas and not trying hard enough on delivering either good rhythms, catchy tunes, etc., while other bands perform very easy songs that gain much attention and praise.

I'm prepared to be flamed by the guitar gods of this forum.

It all really depends on what you want to do musically.

Do you want to do only Ramones covers, or do you want to be able to play side one of Rush's "Moving Pictures"?

I can tell you that if you work hard and develop the skill to play "Moving Pictures", the Ramones covers will be pretty easy.

The more you challenge yourself, the harder and more you work, the better your playing and the greater your versatility becomes.

The greater the skill you possess, the more opportunities you can take advantage of.

That's been my outlook since I bought my first bass for $100 in 1984 and put "The Number of the Beast" in the tape deck, plugged in, and got on with it.