OK, got this gig coming up...

PDA

View Full Version : OK, got this gig coming up...

webbtje
05-31-2007, 06:19 AM
... at my school on July 3rd. We've decided we're going to be the 'heavy' band. Here's the problem: no one in the school apart from us is into anything heavy. I need help picking. Here's the setlist so far, not heavy at all but the heaviest a load of these guys can bear:

lostprophets: Last train home
SOAD: Chop Suey
Foo fighters: All my life

Also, I thought about Ace of Spades, but not sure if my bassist and guitarist can keep up. Anybody got any suggestions?

jesusgonewrong
05-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Be careful here, as if it's a school talent show thing, metal will likely not be apreciated. I suggest you play "War pigs".

Edit: Don't worry, no metal on there. Have fun.

webbtje
05-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Yeah, we had War Pigs to start with, but no-one knows it or likes it when they hear it (trust me, I checked). Bit long too, but it's a goodie.

EDIT: Not a talent show, more of a rock show to the whole school with 3-4 bands.

UNIe
05-31-2007, 06:31 AM
Play LP's Numb, if you have the instruments, I think everybody knows it and it can seem like a heavy song if the vocals fit. Or you could try KoRn's Throw Me Away.

jesusgonewrong
05-31-2007, 06:32 AM
If it's a rock show, then definetly play Ace of spades. Your bassist and guitarist will just have to practise.

Dobro87
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
well i know from experiance that school shows suck, if its in the gym, u get nothing but echos, if its in the cafeteria, nothing but dull sounds, thats why i quit playing them, and who cares what the other kids in the school think, u should go for breakin the law buy judas priest or something along the likes of that, rock them the f.u.c.k out and MAKE them like metal

webbtje
05-31-2007, 06:47 AM
well i know from experiance that school shows suck, if its in the gym, u get nothing but echos, if its in the cafeteria, nothing but dull sounds, thats why i quit playing them, and who cares what the other kids in the school think, u should go for breakin the law buy judas priest or something along the likes of that, rock them the f.u.c.k out and MAKE them like metal

Well, it's outside. And much as I'd love to play some Machine Head, the crowd would not like. And someone else is already doing breaking the law :p:

webbtje
05-31-2007, 06:49 AM
Numb would ce cool, but we are in severe lack of keyboards and samples. We only have singer, 2 guitars, bass and drums.

Dobro87
05-31-2007, 06:52 AM
well if its outside it will be fine, thats accutly pretty bad ass, how about some def lep? its metal but its not too heavy, like photograph or something

jamiedonnelly93
05-31-2007, 06:56 AM
play the acoustic version of numb then,

the tabs on this site somewhere

webbtje
05-31-2007, 07:01 AM
play the acoustic version of numb then,

the tabs on this site somewhere

Not exactly rocky. If I wanted acoustic stuff I'd play Pinball Wizard. Not a huge fan of numb anyway.

webbtje
05-31-2007, 07:01 AM
well if its outside it will be fine, thats accutly pretty bad ass, how about some def lep? its metal but its not too heavy, like photograph or something

Don't know it, but I'll have a listen...

jamiedonnelly93
05-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Kickstart my heart by Motley Crues a winner

Dobro87
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
yeah man you got a month, if your band really pushes for it and your comfortable with all your other songs you should be able to give a pretty kick ass show.

oh yeah, and

agreed

jamiedonnelly93
05-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Teenage Kicks actually works well for an opener, and Sgt Peppers lonely hearts club band (reprise) for an ending

Jehuty
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Killing In The Name, the riffs are really sweet to play. I guess you could try Hangar 18 as well, if you're good enough.

pandora_grunt
05-31-2007, 04:06 PM

indeed... indeed... <3 it and so do most of teh people I know (even those not into rock :O)

Killing In The Name, the riffs are really sweet to play. I guess you could try Hangar 18 as well, if you're good enough.

Killing in the name, is a good choice, but I wouldnt try hangar 18. I knwo enough people in my surroundings that hate it :S and those people are into rock and metal and such, then again, I surround myself with idiots to make myself feel smart :P

Raz_Steroid
05-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Play what you want really. Somebody will like it, and those are the people that you want to like you. Do you really want to be known by the Fall Out Boy fans?

webbtje
05-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Play what you want really. Somebody will like it, and those are the people that you want to like you. Do you really want to be known by the Fall Out Boy fans?

:haha: Well I refuse to be known as a fall out boy fan. To above, killing in the name's a good idea, and we thought about it. However, this is the first gig of this kind to happen at our school. We wanna make it perfect, so maybe it'll become a yearly thing. In other words, '**** you I won't do what you tell me' 17 times would not bode well for a repeat concert. Good idea though; nice thought. Maybe next year, when it's my last year ;) Also, I love Hangar 18 but my 2nd guitar isn't the shredder type at all, and a 4 minute dual shred solo song would be cool but we couldn't pull it off. Cheers for the suggestions though, keep 'em coming.

Ryioku
05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
You should play Time Takes Us All... or Cloned Insanity... By Kalmah...

Those song's are pretty heavy....

:)

krymson
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
If want to get people into heavy stuff try songs like Crazy Train, Enter Sandman.
Immigrant song is a good rocker too.

TheUnholy
05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Never Again, Animals or How You Remind Me - Nickelback
Survival of the Sickest (lots of swearing mind) or Rock and Roll Revolution by Saliva
Enter Sandman or I Disappear by Metallica
Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi
Livin' on a Prayer or It's My Life by Bon Jovi

I can think of more, but if you list too many, people never consider them all :p: Those are all accessible, but still metal or metal-ish.

webbtje
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Livin' on a prayer seems the best one if the singer can get the chorus spot on. Otherwise, Enter Sandman's a possibility, as we can all play it (easy)