Randy Rhoads Setup

PDA

View Full Version : Randy Rhoads Setup

Horty40
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
What set up did RR use? I know it was a jackson guitar but what type specifically and what amp did he use? I want to get that heavy yet high whine metal sound that he made so please help me out here!

sammcl-15
05-31-2007, 05:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Randy_Rhoads

You could try his sig model?

Sixpack5001
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
check out www.guitargeek.com it has a whole mess of setups

bluescat013
05-31-2007, 05:44 PM
he also used a gibson les paul and his polka flying v wasn't a jackson it was custom made fro haim not sure what it was though my friend in the ozzy tribute band uses a marshal tube preamp and vox tone lab for the randy sound and it sounds pretty good

Campbell_x50
05-31-2007, 05:54 PM
it was Karl Sandov that made the polka dot V for him, He deffinatly used a MXR Distortion +, his PU's were (in the Polka dot V) : B: Dimizero Super Distortion, N: Dimizero PAF 103.

PS sorry for the spelling

voxdude26
05-31-2007, 06:04 PM
rhoads used a overdriven like hell 70's plexi with i think 3 overdrive pedals and massive noise gate.

wylde_guy
05-31-2007, 06:12 PM
my guitar teacher did a ****load of research on it and gave it to me...lemme go find it...okay here it is:

randy used 3 main guitars with ozzy. his main guitar was a creme colored 1974 gibson les paul with the stock pickups that was purchased for Randy by the members of Quiet Riot during the recording of Quiet Riot II. the second guitar is his famed Karl Sandoval polka dot flying V. This guitar was made by Karl Sandoval in 1979 for Randy and was equipped with Dimarzio PAF pickups. his third main guitar was his custom made prototype Jackson RR shark fin guitar. This guitar was outfitted with Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup and Seymour Duncan distortion pickups.

randy used 2 1970 JMP 100 watt super lead marshall heads and a 1979 100 watt white anniversary super lead head. these heads were never modded and had no master volume on them and were very bright sounding. to get more distortion out of the heads he used the MXR distortion plus pedal. even though his heads were bright to begin with, randy pushed the envelope even further by using an MXR 10 band graphic equalizer with the mids and highs pushed almost all the way up. Randy's wah pedal of choice was the VOX V846 which he used very sparingly. the two other effects he used were an MXR stereo flanger and an MXR stereo chorus. randy used marshall 4x12 speaker cabinets with 100 watt altec 417-8h speakers. randy used medium picks and his guitars were strung with medium guage strings 9-42.

whew that was a lot of typing! hope that helps!

-Kyle

RG_FANMAN
05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
He used a Gibson Les Paul and Jackson RR V prototype into a Marshall Plexi Head. I believe he used a Dunlop Distortion pedal as a boost to drive the Marshall harder. He also had a couple EQ pedals, and a delay, chorus and wah (i believe).

Can't give you models or anything. but check guitargeek.com

woodenbandman
05-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Marshall Stack-> Variac to run at about 88 v, to a pedal board through the FX loop. He used a 'paul, some Jacksons, and a custom V.

Csquared1001
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
my guitar teacher did a ****load of research on it and gave it to me...lemme go find it...okay here it is:

randy used 3 main guitars with ozzy. his main guitar was a creme colored 1974 gibson les paul with the stock pickups that was purchased for Randy by the members of Quiet Riot during the recording of Quiet Riot II. the second guitar is his famed Karl Sandoval polka dot flying V. This guitar was made by Karl Sandoval in 1979 for Randy and was equipped with Dimarzio PAF pickups. his third main guitar was his custom made prototype Jackson RR shark fin guitar. This guitar was outfitted with Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup and Seymour Duncan distortion pickups.

randy used 2 1970 JMP 100 watt super lead marshall heads and a 1979 100 watt white anniversary super lead head. these heads were never modded and had no master volume on them and were very bright sounding. to get more distortion out of the heads he used the MXR distortion plus pedal. even though his heads were bright to begin with, randy pushed the envelope even further by using an MXR 10 band graphic equalizer with the mids and highs pushed almost all the way up. Randy's wah pedal of choice was the VOX V846 which he used very sparingly. the two other effects he used were an MXR stereo flanger and an MXR stereo chorus. randy used marshall 4x12 speaker cabinets with 100 watt altec 417-8h speakers. randy used medium picks and his guitars were strung with medium guage strings 9-42.

-Kyle

actually randy rhoads used heavy strings (11's) according to rudy sarzo on the 20th anniversery thing that used to be on youtube

Les Paul Ell
06-10-2007, 03:47 PM

-Kyle

Pretty much spot on there! He used the Les Paul most though, almost the entire set lists were played on the Les Paul, only not if he needed a trem like for Suicide Solution or needed to be in a lower tuning like Over The Mountain.

Gabel
06-10-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/rreq.htm
http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/rrtone.htm

Nieper
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
It was definately an MXR Distortion +... look it up at guitar center and preview it... sounds just like randy

gregs1020
04-02-2010, 08:46 PM
he only played the white custom lp and polka dod V when i saw him...

blues n cues
04-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Pretty much spot on there! He used the Les Paul most though, almost the entire set lists were played on the Les Paul, only not if he needed a trem like for Suicide Solution or needed to be in a lower tuning like Over The Mountain.

the white prototype jackson "v" was usually tuned down 1/2 step for cuts off of diary of a madman. the polkadot sandoval v was used for mr.crowley & suicide solution-@ least when i saw him in february of 1982.

the main marshalls were model 1959 100wt plexis w/ a cascade mod on channel 2.
the documentary should be out soon.
http://www.myspace.com/randyrhoadsdocumentary08

HellBoy9393
04-03-2010, 08:10 AM
It was definately an MXR Distortion +... look it up at guitar center and preview it... sounds just like randy

Way to bump a nearly 3-year old thread...

jorlitta
04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Didn't Randy use Ernie Ball strings? I had seen a list of equipment for the Blizzard of Ozz and it lists his strings as Picatos, which I don't think are available in the U.S.

RIPRandy14
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
he used ghs strings

bubb_tubbs
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Necroed thread. :facepalm:

333maxwell
04-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I saw Rhodes a few times live.. I left the last show early because to be honest, his live tone, when you were there in the middle of it, compared to todays standards, was pretty painful and piercing and biting. I never thought of him as much of a tone guy.. he could carry himself with his playing ability, but his tone.. well.. I wonder how much it would have changed over the years had he of been afforded the opportunity.

Contrast it to Van Halen in the same time frame.. it was just as loud, but didn't hurt the ears... Randy had a very piercing live tone that doesn't seem to be picked up like it actually was in the videos.

bubb_tubbs
04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
^ That's because the engineering they had for the Ozzy albums with Rhoads really sucked.

His live tone was far better.