What effect does Jack White use in Icky Thump's Solo?

PDA

View Full Version : What effect does Jack White use in Icky Thump's Solo?

MakoSG
05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
I've been checking everywhere but I can't figure it out! It's the solo for the white stripe's new song "Icky Thump". It sounds like there is absolutely no sustain at all, and it sounds like the distorted guitar sound is struggling to come out. It sounds really dirty and I love it but I have no idea how he does it. Wolfmother has used it in songs like "Joker and the Thief" and "Apple Tree"

If anyone could tell me what effect this is that would be awesome, or if its a pedal what type. Thanks!

HelloPorkPieHat
05-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for thanking me in advance.

Kartman
05-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Digitech Whammy Pedal, presumably set up two octaves.

AndrewtheHoople
05-31-2007, 11:30 PM
I've been checking everywhere but I can't figure it out! It's the solo for the white stripe's new song "Icky Thump". It sounds like there is absolutely no sustain at all, and it sounds like the distorted guitar sound is struggling to come out. It sounds really dirty and I love it but I have no idea how he does it. Wolfmother has used it in songs like "Joker and the Thief" and "Apple Tree"

If anyone could tell me what effect this is that would be awesome, or if its a pedal what type. Thanks!

5th paragraph down (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41892-white-stripes-reveal-iicky-thumpi-tracklist)

MakoSG
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't think it's a digitech whammy pedal. My friend has one and 2 octaves up makes it sound too much like some solo's from Rage against the machine, not these solos without any sustain. It almost sounds like the solo is being done with a kill switch but I know it's not.

JimmyPage97
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM
It's not a Digitech Whammy pedal. Well, he does use that in the solo, he couples it with something else, but that's not what he uses for the absolute no-sustain. It sounds like a killswitch, but it isn't.

I've seen him play live with that, it was Death Letter on Conan, and it sounded AWESOME! It was on his Red double-jet Grestch. I know you can't mod a guitar to the point where you can hit your footswitch to turn it to so much distortion through the guitar that the sound stops, because his guitar was ringing also in the preformance, so it's definatley an amp effect/pedal. I'd love to know if anyone knows as well.

^_^d

HaKattack
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM
It's not a digitech. I read in his interview in Guitar World he uses and Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator.

JimmyPage97
05-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks for thanking me in advance.
Thanks for all the info and making the world a better place. You know, people like you really make me sick! YOU REALLY MAKE ME WANT TO PUKE! I REALLY HATE YOU!

I HATE YOU!

MakoSG
05-31-2007, 11:54 PM
yeah that guy is a douche bag.

JimmyPage97
05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
totally.

JimmyPage97
05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
So yeah, anyone know about the NO-SUSTAIN feature? Because me or Mako don't want to know about the stupid octave setting, we already know how he does that.

AndrewtheHoople
06-01-2007, 12:09 AM
5th paragraph down (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41892-white-stripes-reveal-iicky-thumpi-tracklist)

ahh, nevermind.

the solo of the song. i've had so many people ask what effect it was, talking about the "bagpipe" sound.

MakoSG
06-01-2007, 12:13 AM
No I know what the bagpipe sound was, and it's not guitar. I'm talking about the guitar solo.

AndrewtheHoople
06-01-2007, 12:16 AM
No I know what the bagpipe sound was, and it's not guitar. I'm talking about the guitar solo.

i know.

i just said that. it was a case of misunderstanding.

MakoSG
06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
So no one knows?

GLP_Arclite
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
its not a bagpipe sound, its a synthesise/piano/organ type thingy

http://www.livemusicblog.com/video/07/05/24/white-stripes-new-tour-dates-icky-thump-video.php

HaKattack
06-01-2007, 11:45 AM
So no one knows?

I gave you an answer last night

It's not a digitech. I read in his interview in Guitar World he uses an Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator.

:cheers:

MakoSG
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I looked the Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator up and it doesn't say anything about completely cutting off the sustain making it almost like a killswitch. The Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator seems to just be a more expensive digitech whammy pedal that can make a guitar sound like an organ.

Just because he said he uses Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator doesn't mean that he's using it for Icky Thump's solo.... Unless he flat out said, "this is how I made the solo to Icky Thump"...

deluxity
06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I looked the Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator up and it doesn't say anything about completely cutting off the sustain making it almost like a killswitch. The Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator seems to just be a more expensive digitech whammy pedal that can make a guitar sound like an organ.

Just because he said he uses Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator doesn't mean that he's using it for Icky Thump's solo.... Unless he flat out said, "this is how I made the solo to Icky Thump"...

the EHX pog, adds octaves which means you can sound like your playing a 12 or a 18 string guitar, or sound like your pla ying a hammond organ, unlike the digitech whammy which is only a pitch shifter, it doesn't add octaves like the pog, it just changes the pitch

BrianApocalypse
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I had a try out a few weeks ago, and the pedal is absolutely immense.

Can't remember anything about sustain though.

duggyrocks
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the real question here is...

... would you do meg?

Hmmm... yeah I would, definately

BrianApocalypse
06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the real question here is...

... would you do meg?

Hmmm... yeah I would, definately

I really would, I'd even let her brown carl me.

MakoSG
06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
"the EHX pog, adds octaves which means you can sound like your playing a 12 or a 18 string guitar, or sound like your pla ying a hammond organ, unlike the digitech whammy which is only a pitch shifter, it doesn't add octaves like the pog, it just changes the pitch"

That's great, but it doesn't answer my question. Apparently no one will ever know the answer to my question >.>

And yeah, I would do the crap outta Meg.

flambe chicken
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
are we sure he doesn't just mute the string after he plays the note?

and on meg: yes.

hamish5178
06-01-2007, 03:38 PM
It's not a digitech. I read in his interview in Guitar World he uses and Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator.

Since "Blue Orchid"

Prior to that it was the Digitech though.

xr280xr
02-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I know this is way old but I watched The Other Guys today and it got me wondering too. To me it sounds like just a grungy distortion with the tone cut (similar to when you select only the top pickup or leave a crybaby on in one position). An electric guitar doesn't really have much sustain or reverb unless you give it some, but maybe a noise suppressor?

JackWhiteIsButts
02-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I think he's using an old Boss Butts pedal on that particular section.

adamgur96
02-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I know this is way old but I watched The Other Guys today and it got me wondering too. To me it sounds like just a grungy distortion with the tone cut (similar to when you select only the top pickup or leave a crybaby on in one position). An electric guitar doesn't really have much sustain or reverb unless you give it some, but maybe a noise suppressor?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/waystin2/NecroBumpBatman.jpg

Holy Katana
02-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Holy shit, this thread is ancient.

There are fuzz pedals that have a gated sound. The way he describes the tone makes me think maybe that's what he used. A really sputtering, choked kinda fuzz.

MinterMan22
02-23-2013, 11:46 PM
:clap:

Saint78
02-23-2013, 11:47 PM

i was hoping you hadn't posted in here, so i could call him butts first ):<

JackWhiteIsButts
02-23-2013, 11:51 PM
i was hoping you hadn't posted in here, so i could call him butts first ):<
You're letting your ego cloud your mind. It doesn't matter who calls him butts, the important thing is that his buttness is brought into the consciousness of the world.

zomgguitarz1234
02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
He used a keyboard in the video I think.

Saint78
02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
my bad. you're right.

i don't even know how it's possible to be this butts.
http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2010/03/jack_white-2.jpg

Thrashtastic15
02-24-2013, 12:01 AM
i would edit that picture out saint, this is a family site

Holy Katana
Why does he look exactly like Michael Cera with long black hair in that picture? D:

Saint78
i won't be censored. the world needs to know of his butt-ness.

b/c michael cera is butts too

JackWhiteIsButts
02-24-2013, 12:04 AM
i won't be censored. the world needs to know of his butt-ness.

b/c michael cera is butts too
I'm Jack White Is Butts and I support this message.

Thrashtastic15
02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
you dont deserve the name. if we ignore him he might go away

JackWhiteIsButts
02-24-2013, 12:07 AM
He's butts, Jon. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Thrashtastic15
02-24-2013, 12:17 AM
i did not deny that. im just saying its grossly obscene to expose small children to such horrendous butts. plus if we forget he exists maybe we can move on with our lives and veb happy

Saint78
02-24-2013, 12:18 AM
the world cannot be happy as long as there is jack white polluting the planet with his butt-ness. the small children need to be aware the problem as soon as possible, so that they are not tricked and tempted by the butt-ness.

JackWhiteIsButts
02-24-2013, 12:22 AM
I can't remember the last time I truly vebbed happy.

crazysam23_Atax
02-24-2013, 12:47 AM
I support the campaign to make the world aware of Jack's butt-ness!