Letting Band Use Solo Songs

PDA

View Full Version : Letting Band Use Solo Songs

sumguy67
06-01-2007, 11:14 PM
So me and some friends just started a band that are gonna get together this week to jam and work on some songs for it. The other members have heard the instrumental stuff that I do for my solo project and they want to take my songs and use them for our band but add lyrics to them. Is it a good idea to let them use my songs for the band or should I keep the band and my solo stuff seperate?

ak Gitaroo Man
06-01-2007, 11:18 PM
It's up to you and how much you feel attached to YOUR music.

Kid_Thorazine
06-01-2007, 11:19 PM
It's up to you, but personally I would never do that.

whitebluesboy
06-01-2007, 11:23 PM
No because if things go ****ty with your band then you won't be able to play YOUR songs anymore.

3l3phant
06-01-2007, 11:25 PM
theres obviously a difference between an instrumental piece and, say, a riff, or section of a song. adding lyrics to riffs and **** is alot of fun i think, but if it is an instrumental as you say it is, then no words are necessary.

Dutch_Apples
06-02-2007, 02:24 AM
From a legal stand point, if the music hasn't been released (or published) yet, they have to ask you if they can perform it. If you sign anything you can state that their lyrics are a "deriviative" work and should not constitute as co-writing.

From a business stand point, I saw let them use it as long as they give you credit on the CD if they record it. If you are trying to persue being a songwriter, you need to have your songs performed as much as possible by whoever. Also if they record it, you can still release your version of it since it's YOUR song.

jamiedonnelly93
06-02-2007, 06:06 AM
No because if things go ****ty with your band then you won't be able to play YOUR songs anymore.

+1

whitehouseffect
06-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, unless it's something you know is gonna work and is gonna be your main focus, don't do it.

If its just a once off then maybe, but not if you're gonna take it further.

sTx
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
From a legal stand point, if the music hasn't been released (or published) yet, they have to ask you if they can perform it. If you sign anything you can state that their lyrics are a "deriviative" work and should not constitute as co-writing.

From a business stand point, I saw let them use it as long as they give you credit on the CD if they record it. If you are trying to persue being a songwriter, you need to have your songs performed as much as possible by whoever. Also if they record it, you can still release your version of it since it's YOUR song.

Apples speaks the truth. :liplick: