Esp Vs Jackson

PDA

View Full Version : Esp Vs Jackson

breakstuff
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Im in love with V models and would love to buy one.

What are the best V models you recommend from ESP and Jackson?
Please describe the pros and cons of each and which you wold find better.

I play Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Iced Earth, COB.

Thanks

brodo_boosh
06-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Personal preferance

Dr.Tomahawk
06-02-2007, 01:01 PM
You mean the RR Shark Tail design?

Metallica708
06-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Pros for ESP:

ESP = Pwn (if you pay enough)

Cons for ESP:

You either have to get a Sig, an LTD or a custom for V shapes

breakstuff
06-02-2007, 01:09 PM
any V with a proper whammy bar

~Andrea-Angel~
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Cons for ESP:

You either have to get a Sig, an LTD or a custom for V shapes

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/nv-std/images/nv-std_sw.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/v-std/images/v-std_blk.jpg

both ESP Standard Series. Like i've mentioned many times, those you see at espguitars.com is just the tip of the iceberg.

SupremeACL
06-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Jackson has the RRs... And King Vs are pretty tight. I'd go with Jackson personally (or maybe even a Gibby/Epi if you have the money).

mr kipling
06-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Where did you find those?

~Andrea-Angel~
06-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Jackson has the RRs...

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/sv/images/sv-std_white.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/esporiginal/sv/images/sv-nt.jpg

:p:
one thing i like about certain ESP neckthru guitars, like the above SV, it has an unfinished maple neck, so it doesnt feel sticky, very similar to KH2 NTB or MII NTB

hot4teacher
06-02-2007, 01:26 PM
just go to their website

Dr.Tomahawk
06-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Well whatever, ill asume your talking about the RR design and not a standard V

Jackson RR1: IMO Jackson made the original RR's so they will always be the best. The RR1 comes with all the bells and whistles and is the best one they do, unless you want a custom. You can get it in either Floyd Rose bridge or String-through. A variety of fancy paintjobs to go with. It usually costs just under 2000 or $4000.

Jackson RR5: Next model down. I own this model. It comes in Ivory White with Black Pinstripes and Gold Hardware (im a sucker for gold hardware) or it comes in Black with Gold Hardware (also looks fancy IMO). It costs just under 900 or $2800.

Jackson RR24: Also in the 'Pro Series' like the RR5. This one is designed for Metal with its 24 frets, Floyd Rose Bridge and EMG 81 pickup in the bridge. Probably not very versitile because of these traits but ive not tried it so i wouldn't know. Comes in a variety of (IMO) questionable paint schemes. I think it costs about the same as the RR5

The Jacksons go down in quality and price from then on all the way down the the JS30RR

The ESP's i dont know as much about so dont quote me but here goes...

ESP Alexi Laiho: As far as i can see this is very similar to the Jackson RR24 in both looks and quality. It has a single EMG HZ H-4 in the bridge. Floyd Rose bridge and 24 frets. Costs around 1500 or $3000 so as far as i can see you are just paying for the name, but i could be wrong

The rest of the Alexi Laiho series are LTD's and go down in price and quality accordingly. You mentioned you were a fan of COB though so they could be right up your street.

As far as i can see from the website ESP dont do any other RR style guitars but do make other standard V design guitars from LTD.

EDIT: apparently they do other RR style guitars from the pictures above but i dont think they are on the site.

sk8boardbob2
06-02-2007, 01:37 PM
^ Wrong prices buddy
RR1-~$2000
RR5-~$1100

Dr.Tomahawk
06-02-2007, 01:43 PM
^ Wrong prices buddy
RR1-~$2000
RR5-~$1100

Well they're obiovusly cheaper in America. My bad.

[I Buy Peace]
06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
ESP do other RR style guitars but they are rare if you live in the UK like me.

The ESP/LTD alexi is a great guitar, original floyd, 24 frets, ebony fingerboard, good quality. The pickup is ok but most people will expect better for the price paid

The Jackson RR24 also had original floyd, 24 fets, ebony fingerboard and is good quality. But imo you get a much better pickup in the RR24 and I have to say it is much more handsome. The guitar that alexi actually plays is nice but on his standard signature model the lower wing is too long. It looks like it can't decide wether to be a king V or a rhodes

I prefer the RR24 but the esp alexi is still a great competetor to it witch some may prefer. One of the main things to bear in mind is that the jackson has a slightly thinner neck than the ESP. So it depends on wether you prefer thinner or fatter necks

Metallica708
06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/nv-std/images/nv-std_sw.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/v-std/images/v-std_blk.jpg

both ESP Standard Series. Like i've mentioned many times, those you see at espguitars.com is just the tip of the iceberg.

Whoa. After checking the website you got that pic from, I've discovered that most of the signature guitars are actually just ESP standards with an artist's name on the headstock. For example:

Jeff Hanneman sig = M-II urban Camo (though the JH has different inlays + a kahler trem instead of an FR)

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/mirage/images/m-ii_uc.jpg
http://espguitars.com/images/guitars/Jeff_UC.jpg

Alexi Laiho sig = SV STD (Though the Alexi Laiho only has 1 pickup, and it's a cheap version of the one in the SV STd)

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/sv/images/sv-std_white.jpg
http://espguitars.com/images/guitars/alexi_WHT.jpg

I'd also like to point out that the sigs are more expensive than the models they are copies of.

I hate it when sigs are just normal guitars but with inflated price tag and a signature.

sk8boardbob2
06-02-2007, 04:19 PM
^ Well you picked two pretty bad examples. The Kahler on the JH makes it special and way different the the FR M-II. The Alexi and SV have different body shapes, pickups, and electronics. Both of them also have custom inlays. I understand what you mean though. Like for example, the only difference between an M-II and a Kirk Hammett sig is the inlays. That and the $1000 price difference.

Teh Forest King
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I am all for the Jacksons. They are amazing, fast necked, and have great voices. You just cant go wrong. ESP's can be good if you get the right model. The sigs are good most of the time too (my friend has the Jeff Hanneman sig) But, if you have the money, get the Jackson, I'd say go for a used KV2 or RR1, new if you can afford it.

sylent
06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
try and get the TRUE ESP SV STANDARD. FORGET CHILDREN OF BODOM stupid gutiarist the RR is becoming famouse of this guitarist where ppl dont even kno who actually started the RR brand. Dont get his sig try get a sv standard its worth it. if not the RR1 for sho'

JMan2423
06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm gonna go with Jackson Guitars.

Dave Mustaine, who leads Megadeth and played in Metallica, brought that sharp V shape to both Jackson and ESP (and now Dean). The pickups are very similar, because the only difference between the JB/Jazz set and the Mustaines LiveWires is that the LiveWires are active. I like the feel of both those V shapes, but when I played the Jackson, I loved that I had a Floyd Rose to wail upon. I've also tried out the RR5 from Jackson, and that is one smooth playing guitar. Plus, it's looks very good in white with pinstripes.

My suggestion is that if you get a Rhoads shaped V, then try them (ESP and Jackson models) out to see what sees best for you. But if you go with that Sharp V shape, then get the Jackson KV2.

azn_guitarist25
06-03-2007, 09:33 AM
alrights lets get this straightened out.

1) you live in america the only V's from ESP are Ammot's (only in black), alexi (stupid long lower horn) and those ltd models
2) kahler tremmed esp flying v (known as NV) is currently the most expensive standard series esp possible
3) the 4th esp posted from top of the thread is in fact an Original Series and is therefore very expensive and runs around 5000aud
4) alexi sig (non us) have the proper lower horn
5) the reason for some of the alexi sig models being more expensive is that they are CUSTOM SIGNATURE MODELS, no not your normal run of the mill sig models these are the real **** and aren't built in big numbers

Madzuhk Guitar
05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I go all to Jackson's. I have a King V Std. I thing that if you have good mics, everything's just fine. :D I must say that (even if I'm not sure about what model it is exactly) ESP's are really good cuz' Padge uses ESP and Bullet is my fav band. ;)
PS: My KV looks like Padge's ESP on 'Scream Aim Fire' ^^

-Madzuhk

fatboythin
05-04-2008, 03:24 PM
^ Dude, this thread is almost a year old. Why on earth did you bring it back up?

cobraopts
11-21-2009, 10:11 AM
the one with a kahler is 2,500 dollars that is bull shit i could get a jackson demmelition king v with emgs seymour duncans and a origonal floyd rose for 1,259 dollars and the other v cost 400 but its basswood i could get a jackson js30 made of alder for 300 allesp doe is copy jackson it obvious which brand is better

azn_guitarist25
11-21-2009, 10:16 AM
the one with a kahler is 2,500 dollars that is bull shit i could get a jackson demmelition king v with emgs seymour duncans and a origonal floyd rose for 1,259 dollars and the other v cost 400 but its basswood i could get a jackson js30 made of alder for 300 allesp doe is copy jackson it obvious which brand is better

Wow you must feel so proud of yourself posting some what old and useless information in an old and no longer active thread. Good job cobraopts.

ChemicalFire
11-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Tho I love how ESP's look, when playing them I have found them a bit lacking. I personally prefer Jacksons for playability

Dawnwalker
11-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Jackson JS series=suck.