[GP5.2/GP4/MIDI] Post-Rock/Instrumental

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5.2/GP4/MIDI] Post-Rock/Instrumental

SGxMastodonxSG
06-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey guys. I'm working on a little project (called Captain! We Have Ghosts). Making some Post-Rock songs, a genre which I have absolutely fallen in love with (Explosions in the Sky being my new favorite band, and having more favorites like A Silver Mt. Zion, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono, and many more). This song is very Explosions influenced as you can probably tell.

Overall, I'm happy with it, but feel it could be a lot better. Some transitions just don't sound right. Well that's where you guys come in. I'd love your critique. I'm not a master at the crescendo like Explosions, but hey. :P

If you listen to the GuitarPro file you should turn RSE off. I'm using GP5.2 without RSE, so I don't really know what it would sound like with it (I'm not a fan of the RSE anyway). Just a note. You can listen to it with RSE if you like though, I don't think it would sound too different. Volumes would probably need adjusting.

PS: Snuck another song I'm starting in there. It's just a beginning but I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it.
Ok, enough rambling. :P

ctb
06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
They are absolutely brilliant.

gallagher2006
06-03-2007, 09:06 AM
The Eath is Falling is quite good, but I thikn a little bit of panning will go a long way. Aside from a few of the riffs being overused, it was enjoyable.

gonzaw
06-03-2007, 05:14 PM
The one of Shooting Birds was interesting....I think that it would be better if at bar 33 and so on you strummed the chord simultaneously.....but that intro sounded good, well, it may be a little long for an intro but I guess some piano or bass would keep it more interesting :)

In the Falling Earth one was good......maybe you could add a little bassline in the beggining..
The riff was great.....but I loved it more at 12, that was brilliant.
I liked the chorus....however, I think the drums or some of the guitars are louder than they should....so it doesn't sound as great.....although I liked it. I also liked the chromatic slide at the end of the chorus.
I think you should add more stuff to the bass....
At times it was kind of boring :p: , I think you should follow a more rythmic way or sort of....ah, I can't explain it very well.........I think that if you listen closely you will notice :)
I also liked the part at 204, but maybe you shouldn't make everything so......so....boxed (or something like that), maybe you should have a lead in that part to play a kind of solo so as to make it more interesting. What I'm saying is that it seems that every measure goes by the same melody and rythm.....try changing thing up a bit....

Apart from that it was pretty good :)

Can you crit one of mine? (in sig below......on of the last 3 at the bottom if you can :) )

SGxMastodonxSG
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, that is kinda the point in Minimalist music. It's basically repetition with some slight variations. I see what you mean with the bassline. I was unsure with what to do with the bass at time, so I just did root notes. I'll try to give it more of a melody. Also, I suggest turning off RSE when listening. The volumes are different in the RSE and I made the song in MIDI, so yeah. If you had it off and some instruments still sounded overpowering...I agree with you. :P For some reason, like the first 4 bars of the "chorus" (bad name for that part :P) the non-panned guitar is getting owned.

Thanks a bunch for the crits guys, they are appreciated. :)

SGxMastodonxSG
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I absolutely love getting 3 replies out of 61 views. :)
Your critique and suggestions would be much appreciated, guys. ;)

9_11_4
06-04-2007, 01:36 AM
The earth is falling is very nice.. It sounds kinda ethnic, like chinese or something, It's relaxing. I'm just listening to it in the midi format because i don't have gp4. What would be really cool if you got around to recording it at some stage would be to add some ambient chords into the background around the 3 :40 minute mark. Another thought would be some gongs.. That would sound amazing. Your making me feel bad about my 'skills' by the way..But honestly a sensational piece. Wish i wrote it

Now i'm listening to the 2nd one.. its wonderful. you have a great style. Would these have vocals on them? i don't know whether i can picture that.. But i am in love with your work.,. Can i ask you some questions now? WHat program do you use to creat the midi files? and now im curious, what explosions in the sky album should i check out?

Peace. Ash

SGxMastodonxSG
06-04-2007, 01:48 AM
No vocals. I'm hoping to record these at some point because my best friend could do drums for it. For the MIDI I just exported from GuitarPro. It's a one-click thing. Thanks for the suggestions I'll keep them in mind and I'm really glad you like them.

My favorite Explosions in the Sky (also a purely instrumental band) album is The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place. Songs like "Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean" and "Your Hand in Mine" got me into them. Another good album besides that one is Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever. Both are amazing albums.

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback, keep 'em coming, I really appreciate it.

Grovermans
06-04-2007, 02:12 AM
"the earth is falling" seems like a somewhat
darker version of explosions in the sky,
and my only real complaint with it is that
sometimes it feels a bit... mechanical?
i don't really know how to explain it.
it's just... explosions in the sky's music
is so beautifully flowing, as is most post-rock,
and i feel like this could have just sounded
just a bit more natural at times, with less
mechanical chords i guess? i can't really explain it,
but i hope you kind of understand what i mean.

"shooting doves" is much more natural sounding.
i feel like it could really evolve into something powerful.

both songs were very good.
and i congratulate you on attempting
some post-rock. i find it very difficult to write.

SGxMastodonxSG
06-04-2007, 02:15 AM
I know exactly what you mean about The Earth is Falling. That's exactly how I felt about it. Some transitions were a little forced and there's basically three parts to the song. 3 soft parts and 3 climaxes. I hope I can get a more flowing sound from Shooting Doves.

Again, as always, your crits are greatly appreciated.

gonzaw
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
"the earth is falling" seems like a somewhat
darker version of explosions in the sky,
and my only real complaint with it is that
sometimes it feels a bit... mechanical?
i don't really know how to explain it.
it's just... explosions in the sky's music
is so beautifully flowing, as is most post-rock,
and i feel like this could have just sounded
just a bit more natural at times, with less
mechanical chords i guess? i can't really explain it,
but i hope you kind of understand what i mean.

"shooting doves" is much more natural sounding.
i feel like it could really evolve into something powerful.

both songs were very good.
and i congratulate you on attempting
some post-rock. i find it very difficult to write.

When I first started reading this post I thought those were the lyrics for the song! :haha

arcains_valor
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Not bad. The earth is falling one is very repetitive and the birds one is pretty boring. You need more going on in that song. At least some kind of drum beat it doesn't have to be very fast, it can be quarter notes, just some kind of continually moving, driving beat that keeps the otherwise dead song moving foward.

Drewski2113
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
you need to put vocals on that (good vocals), because otherwise its an explosions knock off, which is pretty good because explosions are amazing, but id like you to experement a little more with it and make it your own. defiantly would sound better recorded and with a delay pedal but, you should definatly think about vocals. Other than that I really liked them. keep up the good work.

drew

JimmyPage97
06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Your songs are almost minimalist, taking ideas and redeveloping them. I really loved The Earth is Falling. It's really ... eerie and relaxing kinda of. 8.5/10 for that.

I didn't really like Shooting Doves to Pass the Time, it was ... anti-climatic, no rise no fall really. It could use some action. 6/10, i liked the idea forever.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602608 C4C?

hendo123456789
06-08-2007, 02:28 PM
The earth is falling is brilliant. The guitar is just creepy at the start. ;) Liked the introduction of the drums and then the solo was brill. Liked the tis glorious bit as well. It gothppier afte that :D Wasnt tooo keen on the lead part in tis blissful. The mais texture bit souded a lot better. Then when it kicked back in it sounded good too. The full explosion part was really good. Got to say hat i didnt like the ending after the fade out. Disappointed me a little :( Anyhow it was still a brilliant song 8.5/10
C4C????? pefferably the bottom one in my sig :peace:

SGxMastodonxSG
06-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Your songs are almost minimalist, taking ideas and redeveloping them. I really loved The Earth is Falling. It's really ... eerie and relaxing kinda of. 8.5/10 for that.

I didn't really like Shooting Doves to Pass the Time, it was ... anti-climatic, no rise no fall really. It could use some action. 6/10, i liked the idea forever.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602608 C4C?

Remember, Shooting Doves is just a beginning. I'm not nearly done with the song.

hendo: yeah, I really need to change that ending. However, it's gotta somehow segue into Pt. 2 which I'm still brainstorming for. :P

drewski: if I could sing, I'd be on it, but alas, I'm horrible. Haha. Yeah, it's very similar to Explosions. I'm still fairly new to post-rock and haven't really found my own voice. I'll keep experimenting and hope good results come from it.

I'll get to the crit4crit's right now.
Thank you guys for checking this out.

mattyp90
06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I've just glimpsed at these other reviews and can't believe that they aren't all highly praising - those two tunes are fucking amazing.
This is the kind of stuff I like to write, only yours is a lot better if I may say so.
Shooting Doves to Pass the Time By is a pretty good intro to a track, especially if it builds up and explodes into something glorious or blissful ;) like the first song.
Now, speaking of the first song, that, my friend is how multitracking should be done. Each guitar compliments the other with harmonies and fitting melodies, as the bass takes the very same melodies and gives them a different feel as the root note changes, with some pretty epic drums to boot.
My favourite bit has to be the building up and crescendo of "'Tis Glorious", and what a fitting title.
I don't think I'm that easy to please, although it may seem like it, and I haven't been giving other tabs I've seen a rating but The Earth Is Falling (Part I) is 10/10 for me, and be sure to put up Part II asap.
Really great job mate. :cheers:

Drewski2113
06-09-2007, 02:35 PM
maybe you could find someone who could sing and possibly start a band?

SGxMastodonxSG
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
maybe you could find someone who could sing and possibly start a band?
Already in a band with a singer. :) But we don't play music like this, if only.

And thanks a bunch Matty. That was a confidence booster, lol.

Donaldguitar
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
That was unbelieveably beautiful. Can't tell you much to improve cause it's better than what i can write. I loved both of them. I think with the shorter one you could fade it out and make it a short post-rock piece but maybe not. Make The Earth is Falling part 2 if you can cause that song was amazing.

10/10 No doubt

Codims
10-15-2007, 02:01 AM
They are great, the Shooting Doves tune really sounds like it should be accompanying a movie. I honestly love what you're doing. I'm kind of working on similar stuff, so yeah, PM me if you want to chat or anything.

duncang
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Good to see another post-rock writer on here :cheers:

The Earth Is Falling Part I: I thought that was great, very well put together, lovely atmosphere. Didn't care too much for the 'Tis Glorious section, and I think the drums coming in after that were a little too Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place :p: However, the same applies to Explosions in general, it's not the kind of post rock I can connect to on an emotive level, it's all a little too comfortable for me. Not criticising your execution of it (as this would actually make a damn good EitS song) at all though. I loved the 'Tis Blissful section where the bass and drums came in, however the buildup goes nowhere which is what frustrates me about this. The ending also had a few off notes (bar 217 and corresponding bars), the low C# on one of the guitars is out of key, totally ruins the atmosphere of that ending. Great job though.

Shooting Doves to Pass the Time: To be frank, this one bored me. Very interesting use of that chord using three tone intervals though. I know it's not complete but it was just dull. I think given a good bit more building up and a little less repetition it could be quite good but I didn't enjoy that too much.

Perhaps you'd like to check out some of my post rock pieces (seeing as there were two slipped into this one...)? They're not in the same vein as yours, but I hope you appreciate them all the same :cheers:

Birth (more ambient, different instrumentation to the rest of my Floorboards project, but I love it) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10429849#post10429849)

Floorboards (title track and centrepiece of this project, and in my opinion the best thing I have ever written) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610825)