Last Light Fades [Metal, Midi GP]

PDA

View Full Version : Last Light Fades [Metal, Midi GP]

ch715dallat
06-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I was bored today playing my acoustic and thought id throw something together. its just a quick wee song its pretty slow and more of a ballady kinda song, but i like it, if i can get reason ill try record it next week ;)

Gimme any ideas you have for improvement or anything you really hate in it and ill try fix it up. The solo could probably do with a bit of work, its not supposed to be anything extravagant just a little bit of emotion :haha

:cheers:

C4C

buckethead_jr
06-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Acoustic intro was excellent, really liked that, but i wasn't really a fan of the drums, i thought it was my metronome thing at first, it was just a bit annoying.
Good use of synths there.

Distortion part was cool.

Acoustic re-entry was aswell, but i felt the acoustics entered to high, there was too big an interval gap between bars 25-26.

The interlude was alright, albeit it's been done many times before, but that's hardly in issue.

Build up - Meh. Didn't really like that tbh, there were quite a few clashing notes in there.

The solo was great, bit overuse of the B note at the start :p:
Bars 81-87, the rhythm guitar isn't changing chords enough to make this sound fresh and interesting.
Some of those long sustained notes sound better with a bit of vibrato IMO.

The Piano part was cool, just went along with the guitar, but it works.

What? is that it?
I take it it's not finished yet then? Ach well, i'll hear you're recorded version soon ;)

Any chance you could take another look at my Wintersun-like one in the sig?
I know you've already critted it but I need more crits about what needs to be changed before it gets recorded.

ch715dallat
06-03-2007, 03:13 PM
yeah i was just bored and just started messing about with stuff i just did it in about half an hour :haha just a bit of fun. and ill get to yours now ;)

What do you mean the acoustic came in to high on the reentry? i dunno what you mean but id like to sort it :confused:

buckethead_jr
06-03-2007, 03:18 PM
yeah i was just bored and just started messing about with stuff i just did it in about half an hour :haha just a bit of fun. and ill get to yours now ;)

What do you mean the acoustic came in to high on the reentry? i dunno what you mean but id like to sort it :confused:
i do the same, but i don't upload them here, they're too bad for that. :haha

Right, what i mean is there is too big an interval gap between the likes of bars 25-26, but bar 26 sounds perfect as is, so to fix that you'd need to lower the notes in bar 25.
Woah, i can't really explain it better, i'm very tired at the moment:haha

domiel
06-03-2007, 03:23 PM
in the acostic ending, i would simply stop the the drums to give a more dramatic ending.
the solo was nice and all but its doesnt have any power to it.

ch715dallat
06-03-2007, 03:29 PM
meh, i'll try add a few extra things in when im recording it like some improv or something and see what happens :haha its not a piece that im really fussed about like the other song im working on at the moment.

ch715dallat
06-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey guys i just changed the solo up a bit there. im thinkin of putting some work into this and adding alot more complexity in the form of a better acoustic riff for throughout the song. but only if people think its worth sticking at? its just supposed to be a sad emotional song so thats why theres no heavy fast riffs ;)

leo_p8
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I think this song works... it needs tweeking, like someone above me said: plenty of off-notes in the build-up and a few licks here and there could use a good tune-up.

All the acoustic sections were nice, but flow is the main drag... they sounds a little off when you go HIGH to LOW too fast... you might want to use some harmonic taps to get the same notes to sound warmer when you record.

I'd like to hear a few variations or just plain different chord progressions at some point... it got a little old near the middle.

Your solo was great, it fit perfectly into the song. Some of your licks could be improved on through some more dynamic phrasing, though... it sounds a little common at parts. Oh, and add a second guitar over the "riff thing" in the solo... that would definitly spice it up.

Either it isn't done or you couldn't bother to fade out the piano and/or write in the last resolving chord... which is it?

Overall, excellent, great ambiance and feel... much to improve, but... it's like you have a gold mine... now you just got to dig into it and get the shiny yellow stuff out!

gonzaw
06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I like the acoustic intro....although it gets repetitive with time....
Yes....drums aren't that good in the beggining....maybe you should stick with a rythmic pattern till the disto comes....
The disto part was pretty good....nice feel to the song.
I love the next part with the acoustic and the strings....it fits perfectly.......maybe you could improve the drums a bit...but they don't matter that much....
I like how the interlude keeps you in suspence till the build up (but I think you shouldn't repeat the interlude....so as to have the song flow better.
Maybe in that next part you could use a different pattern of rythm too (in the second guitar thats it)...cause those are 8ths notes repeated and makes that part kind of boring...
I liked the solo....specially the rythm guitar and how it flowed...
That next riff was great too...I liked it a lot (may use a little variation though)....
The whole solo is great....maybe there is some stuff that is missing but for now it sounds great....
The after solo and ending is kind of repetitive and boring....you should use more variation in the acoustic riff maybe.....or have the solo wrap up everything don't you think.....it would be like a 2 minute kickass solo :p: :)
Great song...if you work it out...it would become such a huge thing

I don't know if you already critted mine.....maybe you could my newest one? (the last one...the yukitiyimium or something :p: )

ch715dallat
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
lol nice analogy, yeah i just got the bones of it down but i want to maybe scrap that main acoustic bit and completely rewrite the intro and main part and then sort out the buildup then get it recorded and i suppose i could harmonise the riif thing in the solo ;)

also i thought i had faded out the piano? :(

anyhoo i tried to crit yours earlier man but you posted it on some download site and it wouldnt load the page, just attach it to your thread ;)

Edit: that was to LEo ;)

ch715dallat
06-04-2007, 09:18 PM
yup ill get to it now Gonzaw, and yeah thanks for your input. ill get to work on this tomorrow and acaully put a bit of effort into making an interesting acoustic riff thats alot more complicated and that i can carry throughout the song. i really just posted this to get impressions of the theme of teh song to see if it was worth working on and recording.

Also i got 2 other songs in the makng at the minute :haha so theyre keeping me busy. a death metal and a metalcore song.

leo_p8
06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I already did that.

:D

Hmm... how to avoid spamming...

Good song... ?

ch715dallat
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
cool ill go look at it now if i can find the thread ;)

you should really post your thread address after your post so you can get your crits ;)

but ill go search it now :haha

ch715dallat
06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
k, i just updated it with a different riff in there ;) check it out see if its an improvement? is it powerful enough emotionally. as i want it to be kind of like a rememberance song.