The Gaffi Sticks

PDA

View Full Version : The Gaffi Sticks

dethskar0
06-04-2007, 12:03 AM
My band just played our first show, and I hate to admit it, but we weren't that great. I mean our sound was fine and everything, but we didn't do anything to get the crowd into it and stuff. Everyone just kind of sat around even for our jumpiest songs. As the frontman, I feel i should be the one mainly getting the crowd into it, but I really have no idea how. Especially on a pretty low budget. Any ideas?

Necronomicon
06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
budget? its about the energy your band gives off but if the crowd isn't getting into it yeah it is really hard to keep the energy up. if your songs can do it, get someone clapping a beat and then the audience usually picks up and does that and gets energy going

vIsIbleNoIsE
06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
practice stage moves or something

dethskar0
06-04-2007, 02:23 AM
what do you mean stage moves?

greendayguitar
06-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I agree. It's extremely hard to get into it, if you crowd isn't getting into it, either. But also, they aren't getting into it if you're not. It's a catch 22, really.

But it was only your first gig. The first couple are just kind of nerve controlled shows. You'll loosen up, no worries.

dethskar0
06-05-2007, 01:35 AM
ok. well thanks. i guess ill get a little more used to it and put on better shows later. we also didnt have a lot of time to prepare for this show, so maybe that was part of it. i scheduled it without really even consulting anyone except my drummer and we only had one song prepared when i scheduled it. i guess i rushed the rest of the band...

Ur all $h1t
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
ok. well thanks. i guess ill get a little more used to it and put on better shows later. we also didnt have a lot of time to prepare for this show, so maybe that was part of it. i scheduled it without really even consulting anyone except my drummer and we only had one song prepared when i scheduled it. i guess i rushed the rest of the band...

Ya, the main thing is that you are all ready and confident of your songs.

The one thing my band has going for it is the fact that we can really get the crowd into it, we don't even play that many moshable songs but the crowd always comes right up front when we play and get really into it.
It's all about confidence and energy, your band has to give it off by the truck load, which is why the songs have to become second nature to you. Most of all you have to have fun, and look like your having fun. Interact with your band, it'll improve your sound if nothing else. Interact with your crowd, don't stare at the neck of your guitar look out into the crowd. Walk to the edge of the stage, bend down to them.
Your the frontman right? Don't leave the mic on the stand for the whole gig (I'm assuming that you don't also play guitar) Take it in your hands, walk around, jump around, go crazy. During the bridges make the crowd clap their hands. During slower songs encourage them to sing along.

KavaticaMetal
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Give it time bro. let loose, headbang, jump around, get naked...just kidding bought that last one. i think it depends on what kind of music you play too. go to a few shows around your area and see what the popular bands of your genre are doing....don't try and be them of course but i'm sure you can learn a thing or two by watching them.

dethskar0
06-05-2007, 04:32 PM
actually i do also play guitar lol. but not for every song. in the songs that i dont play guitar, i do move around and stuff. but its kind of hard in the ones that i do play.

Mack56
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
The main thing i can say for the songs where you're playing guitar is, act totally confident about the song you're playing. It also helps to goof off every once in a while. make a kind of silly face will playing or something. strike a pose.

dethskar0
06-05-2007, 11:30 PM
lol ok. only problem with that is if i make a goofy face, no one's close enough to see it. there were only like 2 people that were actually pretty close to the stage. everyone else was sitting down in the back...

Ur all $h1t
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
lol ok. only problem with that is if i make a goofy face, no one's close enough to see it. there were only like 2 people that were actually pretty close to the stage. everyone else was sitting down in the back...

If the people don't come up front make an effort to bring them up.

Also, if you play moshable songs you might want to consider starting a wall of death, it's a good way to get the crowd involved and it starts pits.

Helloween_rox
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Also, if you play moshable songs you might want to consider starting a wall of death, it's a good way to get the crowd involved and it starts pits.

I see someone else is a Lamb of God fan. :headbang:

Basically, just try not to stay still like a bump on the log the whole time you're up there.

Echelon
06-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Depends on the venue

Most places for that kinda music has seats round the edges but a large standing part in front of the stage if there is one, which youd kinda hope.

But yeah, stage moves and that always work, and loads and loads of energy. Jump the **** up, and make sure the crowd are standing. I wouldnt wanna be the first to stand up in a bar fulla people sitting down.

Dunjma
06-08-2007, 04:24 AM
/\ +1