Small room, Big sound :(

PDA

View Full Version : Small room, Big sound :(

Ur all $h1t
06-05-2007, 09:19 AM
So my band and I, we practice in a very small room. Our drummer however, while being an excellent drummer, is fairly loud, through no fault of his, he just can't play any quieter without it harming his drumming. This of course means that the rest of us have to turn up a little louder, no problem for the guitars. The problem is that we can't hear our (female) singer very well when this happens. Hell, our PA has caught fire twice trying to keep up :o.

So the point of this thread is: does anybody know a way that we could fix this problem, anything we could do to the room? The drums have been stuffed but could we face them any particular way or something?

webbtje
06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
get a bigger room seems the only way forward, that or a better PA

fruit lover
06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
get these for your drummer http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProMark-Lightning-Rod-Sticks?sku=443402

MetzBlaze
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
This will sound REALLY stupid, but before you flame me, try it and it will work. Use ear plugs. You know the expandable orange foam ones. What it does is cuts all of the upper level noise out but you can still hear lower sound levels, Ex: I used to work on a construction site and with the plugs in and saws, Nail guns, ect., running You could still hear the radio playing in the background.

KavaticaMetal
06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
It's true, using ear plugs helps...plus in 3 years your ears will still work. ;)

Deathcore Dude
06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
ear plugs aint gonnna stop the singer from getting drowned out....just find a diff studio and rend the biggest rooms....small rooms suck....

bluewilliams
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
get these for your drummer http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProMark-Lightning-Rod-Sticks?sku=443402
Yeah, thats just what I was gonna suggest. Theyre the way forward.

skater dan0
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
seiously get a better PA if its burning out at practice levels it'll be f*cked for gigging

Ur all $h1t
06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
seiously get a better PA if its burning out at practice levels it'll be f*cked for gigging

We rent a much bigger one when gigging

Thanks for everything. I'll be especially looking into those drumsticks.

mastodonovan
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
or get a power amp for your PA and better monitors/mains.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EuroPower-EP2500-Power-Amp?sku=480697

HuskerDu
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Our drummer however, while being an excellent drummer, is fairly loud, through no fault of his, he just can't play any quieter without it harming his drumming.

I'm sorry, but if your drummer can't even control dynamics then by no means is he 'excellent', dynamics are vital for any drummer.

unconstrained60
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
You should use ear plugs regardless

Everyone in my band (except the drummer) uses those High-Fidelity Hear-os.

The drummer just uses the ones he stole from marching band.

METSOAD
06-05-2007, 05:55 PM
So my band and I, we practice in a very small room. Our drummer however, while being an excellent drummer, is fairly loud, through no fault of his, he just can't play any quieter without it harming his drumming. This of course means that the rest of us have to turn up a little louder, no problem for the guitars. The problem is that we can't hear our (female) singer very well when this happens. Hell, our PA has caught fire twice trying to keep up :o.

Your PA has caught fire????????????? why didnt you just get a bigger one

Ur all $h1t
06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry, but if your drummer can't even control dynamics then by no means is he 'excellent', dynamics are vital for any drummer.
Theres a difference between controlling ones dynamics and playing as low as the size of the room would require. Put it this way, other drummers from the locality pay for lessons from him.

Your PA has caught fire????????????? why didnt you just get a bigger one
Lack of funds.

You should use ear plugs regardless

Everyone in my band (except the drummer) uses those High-Fidelity Hear-os.

The drummer just uses the ones he stole from marching band.

I often use earplugs, although I do sometimes forget.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Horebane
06-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Get a new drummer.

No.
But how can he not quieten down to the point where your singer with a ****ing mic can't be heard.
He obviously doesn't want to do it because whacking the drums with all your might is fun. If he isn't a bad drummer who has no sense of dynamic whatsoever, then he's just a dickhead who fooled your entire band into believing that the drummer cannot reduce the volume until a singer with a MIC can be heard.
Come on, are you guys that stupid? Or is he just that bad?

Unless she doesn't have a mic? In which case, that is a problem in itself, get her a mic.

RedFez64
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah was gonna say. Sure that singers miked up?

Failing that get your rooms sorted

zer0monkey
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
well considering most choices are going to cost money, I think the best bet would be to just get a bigger/better PA system. It will save money in the long run (so you don't have to keep renting them for gigs) and it's less of a fire hazard. Plus, your problem is theoretically solved

Dumpweedrock
06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
you could try getting one of those sound screen things they use in studios . you know what i mean, you see them in front of the drums sometimes during live performances, i think it supposed to be like a portable isolation booth but in screen form. im not 100% sure ut i think thats what it does, that might help you out. here's just a random vid i remembered in which the drummer is using one. so check this out and maybe it'll work for ya.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vq58NwU9bOM

6DgOfInTb
06-10-2007, 05:52 PM
earplugs definately, or play in the garage maybe?

Unforgivable
06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Have the drummer outside and shout at him through a window