Is it worth sticking around?(v.possible rant)

PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth sticking around?(v.possible rant)

DagMX
06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm seriously confused whether i should stick around with my band or not..So I really need advice from you guys..
points to consider for leaving the band:

1)I'm the only guy in the band who doesn't smoke or drink but the other guys do it heavily and every practice session they spend more time smoking than playing. I let them smoke a bit or they start get annoying but when I say lets go practice its always just 'one more cigarette'..

2)When we finally do get to practice everyone apart from the guitarists(me and another guy) doesn't know their parts properly. The bassist keeps messing up the notes he plays and in the end I have to teach him the parts. The drummer is a show-off-in-denial and keeps putting in extra drum rolls etc... which throw him off tempo and the singer can't learn the lyrics even when we give him a week...even with the lyrics on a sheet he can't remember the timing to songs he listens to often.

3)They really don't respect me at all and they expect me to take everything in good humor. They call me a kiddie because I'm polite to people and i don't smoke or drink.(So what if I'm a nice guy?) and they're always just generally mocking me..I know its in jest but after spending an entire day hearing them it gets seriously annoying.

4)There is no real direction in terms of music. Me and the lead guitarist are thrash and metal guitarists. The bassist is into blues and funk. The vocalist is into stuff like Lamb of God and the drummer will listen to whatever you tell him is good. Overall we're a thrash band but its just weird.The drummer also tries to write lyrics but they just aren't for our style of music and are very unmusical in nature but he insists we use them.

5)The vocalist has a very high pitched voice but thats not really a biggie..the biggie though is he screams in every song plus its through a guitar amp thats clipping his voice making it sound more gruff. Thats fine and all but when we go on stage we can't really rely on a tiny 5W amp for his voice. But I'm doing backup vocals and my voice is much deeper than his so that should cover up a lot.

Reasons for possibly staying:
1)They are my friends and I can't just ditch my friends just like that...
2)When we do get to work and know our parts we work very well.
3)They're willing to become more serious if I don't leave(I don't know whether anything will happen though)
4)We've got a gig opening for one of the countries biggest bands, the thing though is it is by no talent of ours...they just liked how my lead guitarist played and his guitar so gave us the gig.
5)They are ambitious and hard workers when I force them to work..

Also if they all have copies of songs I've written(That includes the basslines, riffs and lyrics as well as some solo bits), so if I leave, how do I make sure they don't use my stuff?

Thanks guys...sorry if this sounds really lame, but its hard to leave something you started and its hard to know if your making the right decision.

Soul Vomitor
06-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I think you need to just need to work out a better routine as a band perhaps, you could just make sure everyone is learning their parts outside of when you guys rehearse together so when you get together you're not wasting too much time learning parts. And just try convince them to not smoke during rehearsals, if they really are commited they should be able to accomplish this.

DagMX
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I think you need to just need to work out a better routine as a band perhaps, you could just make sure everyone is learning their parts outside of when you guys rehearse together so when you get together you're not wasting too much time learning parts. And just try convince them to not smoke during rehearsals, if they really are commited they should be able to accomplish this.
they are learning their parts...they just don't learn them properly..
and yeah, im gonna try and get them to cut back on the smoking...but these are guys who smoke 15 in an hour without being satisfied...oh well..i got my work cutout either way..