GP5 song- Maelstrom - instrumental, reminiscent of Dream Theater or LTE

PDA

View Full Version : GP5 song- Maelstrom - instrumental, reminiscent of Dream Theater or LTE

IMcrazy369
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Tell me what you think, it definitely isnt finished though. I have some stuff to work out, especially towards the end.

DarkTom666
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Crit as I listen:

Bell intro is pretty cool, nice bass there... When the drums come in, they sound really nice
the little intro solo is really cool too, really liked it.
Resounding Panic part sounded real nice, the tempo change was great, just like DT!
I didnt like The Calm Before The Storm, didnt really fit the song I thought
Escalating Trepidation was very cool I thought, that clean part was awesome!
The outro sounded very good too! Flowed very well with the end of Trepidation...

overall: I really liked it, very DTish I thought, worth a 8.5/10 ;)! Good job!

Crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598550

kevinm4435
06-06-2007, 11:34 AM
The song to me felt like a bunch of random parts thrown together to make it seem epic. Structurally it really could've used some kind of repeating motif rather than having abrupt changes between a few different ones.

ch715dallat
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
i love that kinda style of writing i do that in my head, like think of a theme and then right what it feels like ;),

i like all the stuff up to escalating i didnt like that riff with the rests, it was quite irritating and the rhythm just didnt go. and the last section also wasnt my cup of tea but meh , it all depends on wht comes after that bit ;)

:cheers:

leo_p8
06-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Man... if you are going to compare this to Dream Theater and... no... you don't do that, ok? Let your song speak for itself... self adulation is never appretiated. No offence... just... whatever.

Next: The song itself seems like a cut-and-paste of seperate riffs that don't actually belong together. The riffs themselves seem like scale runs and just don't have any "special" flavor to them.

Work on your transitions, make them flow better, stop trying to work with other instruments, work with what you know... and then build up from there.

Best of luck, I hope you fix this.

IMcrazy369
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
"Man... if you are going to compare this to Dream Theater and... no... you don't do that, ok? Let your song speak for itself... self adulation is never appretiated. No offence... just... whatever.

Next: The song itself seems like a cut-and-paste of seperate riffs that don't actually belong together. The riffs themselves seem like scale runs and just don't have any "special" flavor to them.

Work on your transitions, make them flow better, stop trying to work with other instruments, work with what you know... and then build up from there.

Best of luck, I hope you fix this."

I wasn't comparing it to dream theater. I said it was reminiscent of them because of the odd times and whatnot. And replying to your "cut-and-paste" comment, the song has a Concept. There is no main theme because it is supposed to show its seperate stages, hence the subtitles such as "the calm before the storm". and i already fixed my transitions, i have yet to put them up here, and i know a bunch of different instruments. to me, all the song needed fixing with was transitions and a change of note value on the second section.

JimmyPage97
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I liked the beginning, and the opening solo, but when it switched to 7/8, it seemed it was 7/8 just for the heck of it.

Don't force odd time signatures, they will come to you. ^_^

Liked the 3/4 "calming" part, really inventive solo.

And holy crap! The right before "Eye of the storm", and during the Eye of the storm... real awesome, man.

Overall, it was more reminiscent of DT than LTE (I prefer to like LTE more, however) really cool over all. :)

9/10, the drums were fresh, the guitar was innovative (with the dual-layered solos) and i loved the "Eye of the storm" break.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602608 C4C?