Gear Payment

PDA

View Full Version : Gear Payment

hurlyz
06-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Being in a band, should all the members pay a bit for everytime a new member needs something new (considering he REALLY needs it... like me, I need I need amp for practice/shows cause atm I've only got a 15watt and I can't even hear myself when others play) or do you think every member should pay his own stuff???

I know that, theorically, the cash from gigs and cd's (etc.) would be used for that kind of things but we haven't made any cash yet so....

The question is, should everyone pay his own stuff or should the whole band pay the whole band's stuff??? o_O

Thanks in advance! :)

Leper Affinity
06-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Everyone pays for their own equipment, the band as a whole pays for transportation to gigs, the cost to record and package the albums, etc.

Or else you could end up quitting the band or getting kicked out and be out a few hundred $$$ and lose a bass and amp because it belongs to the band.

Dutch_Apples
06-06-2007, 03:25 AM
If someone can't afford important gear, they shouldn't be playing in a band. No joke.

My favorite are these guys who claim they play something, want to join a band, and then say they don't own the instrument they claim they play. I wonder how much practice they get in each week.

Why don't you have a summer job? The grass on my lawn is growing.

georgeazguitar
06-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Pay for your own stuff!

Whenever I join a band someone ask "lets all ship in for my next purchase" and I say no because ive had to pay for every single piece of equipment I have. Part of being a decent player is having decent equipment. Try to do some work around your area, try and get a job, or save up w/e money you get from birthday/christmas.

Leper Affinity
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Glad other people agree with what I said on this matter.

I have a GK 700 RB-II and a GK SBX 115, and two cheap Ibanez basses. My dad helped me with the amp and I bought both basses. I am working this summer for a 4X10 and an All-Tube head for my stack, getting a six-string bass, and buying my own recording equipment.

If a member of my band asked me to help them buy a new stack or a new drum kit or whatever I would kick them out. No freaking way am I going to spend thousands of dollars on my gear, that I and my dad saved up for, and then turn around and give cash away to someone else so they can get their own stack, which I won't be able to use or keep if the band dissolved.

Band members should equally pay expenses for gas to get to a gig , or paying for a cd recording session, but your personal gear is your personal gear. If you are going to ask for each member to help buy you a piece of gear, you better be ready to smash it to pieces and give a piece to each member when you decide you don't like the band anymore.