Got and offer, sort of

PDA

View Full Version : Got and offer, sort of

Par Avion
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Well... today I was talking to my friend in gym (we were sitting on the bleachers, since it's the last gym day)

In response to something I said "yeah, I'm going to buy a new guitar soon"

And the person sitting next to me (I vaguely know him just from gym) looks at my with a goofy smile (trying to be funny) and says "You play guitar?" "Do you play any metal?"

I said "No," because I don't.

I said I played the blues and he got disinterested.

Earlier in the year I've heard him speak about forming a band with some people he knew.

It got me thinking - I'm no metal head, in any shape or form, but if I were to join a metal band, it would be a good way to get experience, no? I've never been in a band before, and I'm pretty sure I can handle metal.... but - would it be worth it? I don't want to get a reputation as a metal head, of course.

So... what do you think?

F-ing Hostile
06-06-2007, 07:17 PM
i guess u may as well give it a try

dx466
06-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Check out some metal bands like Iron Maiden,Metallica,Slayer,Judas Priest and ask him what his influences are and check them out and you'll pretty much be set.

Edit: I used to only play metal but now I play blues aswell.

F-ing Hostile
06-06-2007, 07:21 PM
but u shouldnt start a band playing something u dont wanna play at all and u have no fun with, ull just get tired of it

Faux
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes, if they are serious. Playing with other musicians is always worth it, and youll get exposure to a new kind of music for you.

Lancefloyd
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Who cares about rep. Once your out of HS it doesnt matter anyway. If you cant stand metal then dont do it. But if your willing to learn new thing( and Dont think that metal is easy) then give it a try. You may forge a new style of metal-blues rock. I listen to everything except rap and hip-hop, so I could be happy playing clapton, jack johnson , or metallica live. I dont close myself off to musical experiences.

Lance

Par Avion
06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Well... I can't stand hearing any metal that's harder than Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden, and I'm pretty sure he's all into the hardcore ****.

I don't know.

MadassAlex
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
You may forge a new style of metal-blues rock.

It's been done, it was called "Heavy Metal".

Par Avion
06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I get offended whenever blues is associated with metal :P

lolmnt
06-06-2007, 08:49 PM
blues did inspire metal

MadassAlex
06-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I get offended whenever blues is associated with metal :P

You have to be kidding. I hope that :P means you're kidding, because metal is founded directly off jazz and blues.
Perhaps it's time to open your ears? You don't have to like metal, but it is skillful, technical music, arguably requiring more virtuosity and skill than your precious blues.
If you were just kidding, then sorry, but it pisses me off when people who know nothing about metal put it aside and ignore its roots, technicality and progression.

It's not like guitar virtuosos hold metal in high regard or anything. Nah, not one of them.

But let's not turn this into another metal vs. whatever thread eh. :)

Dr. No
06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Perhaps it's time to open your ears? You don't have to like metal, but it is skillful, technical music, arguably requiring more virtuosity and skill than your precious blues.

What does that have to do with anything? Something technical and skillful doesn't mean its good.

(I like metal, but I'm just trying to find the point you're trying to make, I don't get it)

MadassAlex
06-07-2007, 03:08 AM
What does that have to do with anything? Something technical and skillful doesn't mean its good.

(I like metal, but I'm just trying to find the point you're trying to make, I don't get it)

The point is that there is no reason he should be "ashamed" of metal being associated with blues.

Although yeah, there is some nonsensical rant in there because of continued silliness towards metal.