fingers touching other strings...HELP!!!

PDA

View Full Version : fingers touching other strings...HELP!!!

sweetinsanity
06-06-2007, 08:06 PM
ok, so i've just began to learn how to play. I have memorized quite a few of the fingerings, but when i go to play them, the "fatty" on my fingers tends to touch the other strings. What can i do aobut that? it makes the guitar sound awfully strange. I know i have my fingerings right, but im not sure if the way im bending my fingers has to do with it. How can i fix that?

ch715dallat
06-06-2007, 08:56 PM
what? :confused: you need to explain things better. :rolleyes:

your probably not putting your fingers straight down onto the tring with your tip and thats why youre touching outher strings :rolleyes: im sure you can see with your own eyes what the problem is.

thrashy17
06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
i don't understand what you are saying really but i think you should mute the strings you aren't playing with your picking hand that might solve the problem. or just try muting them somehow just so they aren't making any noise.

sweetinsanity
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
well like, when i put my fingers on the strings, lets say for a c note, ill play it and the strings inbetween are also played, but my fingers that are on the neck are touching the other strings, and thats when it makes the weird noise. are only those three strings being played because i thought you play five of the strings.

shut_up_n00b
06-07-2007, 06:52 PM
do you mean a C NOTE or a C CHORD??? you are probably holding the neck wrong make sure your thumb is not touching the fretboard at all

Gothkoss
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
when you look down you should see more finger nail then the the tops of your fingers.

sweetinsanity
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
ok i think ive got it, sorry for the confusion :]]

Negative Burn
06-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Keep a slight curve on the fingers, don't let the joints in your fingers straighten. To make sure all the desired strings are ringing out, form the chord and pluck each string individually, reposition your fingers until all the required strings are ringing out and not muted. Push down on the strings with your finger tips.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2217/cchorduk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

666-JoE-666
06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
meh, can be quite a common problem, especially for beginners, you just need to keep practising, eventualy ur fingers will arch in such a way that none of them will touvh the string, hope it help!

ADMSkynardfan
06-09-2007, 12:26 AM
i know the feeling..ive got fat fingers too..makes it hard to play but eventually your fingers will just get more accurate and if you play enough theyll get thinner..trust me

waranghira
06-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I think the "weird noise" he's referring to is actually a HARMONIC.

don't know harmonic? look it up

minichibi
06-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Yeah, but thats pretty difficult on a c chord :P But i guess its possible.

John W
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
practice.

EADGBe_6s
07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
i doubt its a harmonic.. unless he's got an electric and the amps cranked with the gain all the way up... i think it's just that your pushing down hard enough on the strings / your accidently muting the other strings because your form is off a bit, just look at the pic that is above and it should solve that problem.. but if it continues im confused

D_Vincent
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Some peoples hands can be less suitable for guitar playing sometimes...(not saying yours are) however a buddy of mine used to have big hands...thick fingers and whatnot so i basically suggested him to learn the bass guitar...I eventually taught him how to play bass and the guy turned out to be a pretty good bass player...he plays the bass much better than I do now...my hands are somewhat small so bass is more difficult for me.

Not saying you should play bass however it is always an option...good bass players are hard to find these days and for me are a really important part of music because i like bass/bottom end in my tunes.

Something to think about anyway.

Twist of fate
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Concentrate on accuracy and not just speed

syn_7
07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
lol dude i've never noticed this before xD now that i look at my fingers while im playing lol it looks properly ;D but i feel that my fingers touch a little other strings lol part of my finger below the nail but just before this first line on the finger lol i dont know how this is called im not english... :D and thats worth for all my fingers,its not producing sound but its kinda muting other strings and when i press my fingers in a way that theyre not touching other strings damn i got a feeling im gonna brake my wrist :D

John W
07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
i doubt its a harmonic.. unless he's got an electric and the amps cranked with the gain all the way up... i think it's just that your pushing down hard enough on the strings / your accidently muting the other strings because your form is off a bit, just look at the pic that is above and it should solve that problem.. but if it continues im confused

Holy resurrection batman!

syn_7
07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
lol dudes :D
my problem is written up there :D
should i fix that or its ok to slightly "touch" other strings ? :D

EADGBe_6s
07-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Holy resurrection batman!
im not getting it :S

furin121
07-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I have a similar problem. My fingers are pretty thick (as in fat ass) so they touch alot. What I've found works for me is proper thumb placement. Instead of having my thumb vertical on the neck and kind of holding it on top I'm now keeping it horizontal and move it up and down as I need to to reach the chords. This allows me keep my fingers curled more and coming down on the strings straight down instead of at an angle.

Make sense?

Storm_Bringer_
07-25-2007, 07:37 PM
more suited for classical playing but it will improve your fingering then you can stop doing it. rather than just having your thumb coiled around the neck in whatever way, place it in the center of the neck, this will let your fingers arch more.

PLayyy
12-15-2014, 02:18 AM
i don't understand what you are saying really but i think you should mute the strings you aren't playing with your picking hand that might solve the problem. or just try muting them somehow just so they aren't making any noise.

You guys are dumb. How could you NOT know what he's talking about? It's when you have your finger on one string and it [YOUR FINGER] touches the adjacent strings, which then causes a buzz because the finger causes the string to stop vibrating.

PLayyy
12-15-2014, 02:26 AM

Are you stupid?

PLayyy
12-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Concentrate on accuracy and not just speed

NOT WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT

steven seagull
12-15-2014, 04:01 AM
Are you stupid?
No, but you are for answering a thread that's 7 years old.