Originality

PDA

View Full Version : Originality

Horebane
06-07-2007, 01:15 AM
How do I "help" my band members do their roles.
For example,
My vocalist can't come up with a vocal melody to save his life, and when he does after about an hour of listening to me play the backing over and over again, it sucks so bad I want to stab him.
My drummer plays the same beat every ****ing song unless I tell him what to play.
My bassist... well, he just follows the root notes and plays really crappy fills(he just plays notes to... well... play notes, it never compliments anything).

I'm the only who writes stuff, and I wouldn't mind writing like a guitar riff, or progression or whatever to start off a song. But the thing is, I find myself having to write the vocal melody and lyrics,tell the drummer where to crash, or hold back or whatever, or else the song will suck like a cheap asian prostitute.

Help?
Anyone have similar experiences?

DaveDaThrasha
06-07-2007, 01:23 AM
yeah, get a new band... sorry dude, but thats really all it is. i spent two years with a pair of friends like that, wasted my time helpin them, didnt get anywhere, and during this time, i got offers to join other bands, one of these bands now has a record deal... so moral of the story! dont waste your time! unless their your really good friends, in which case, find a replacement for yourself, get a new band, an kind of be their "coach", just out of friendship... otherwise, screw it

YourMessiah666
06-07-2007, 01:23 AM
That has happened to me a few times, so just leave the band. Then find a group of better musicians.
And :haha about the asian joke...but at the same time :no:

Sun Child
06-07-2007, 01:30 AM
I dislike root note bassists.

>.>

Horebane
06-07-2007, 01:39 AM
That has happened to me a few times, so just leave the band. Then find a group of better musicians.
And :haha about the asian joke...but at the same time :no:

I guess I should, I'm kind of stuck with them until the year ends though... dont ask.

And the asian joke, I'm asian :peace:

gregevans209
06-07-2007, 01:43 AM
either leave, or let them know that they are now your backing band

Drmckool
06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
dude sounds like my old band except the drummer was good and he and i wrote all the music

METSOAD
06-07-2007, 07:20 AM
well if the songs sound good then it shows that you are quality, then if you ina another couple of quality people in the area, start a band with them part time and when the year is done you can concentrate on the new, probably better band and write more music

samoo
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
^ Agree with the guy above. Also, you could start a solo project. I know i would get pissed off if i was in that situation, if you're not having fun, there's not a lot of point sticking around for long.

eckmann88
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I was in exactly the same situation.

Go solo.

Blash
06-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Hah, exact same position I'm in right now, cept mines much worse lol.

Just try to leave, but you said you can't till the end of the year, so... yeah.