Dark chords, appregios,licks, progresions

PDA

View Full Version : Dark chords, appregios,licks, progresions

PLUGINCHILD
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Can someone give me loads of dark scales and chords, minor chords and that sort of thing! chromatic scales that sound really dark and sad! and chord progressions that are dark and meaningful!

chrisbeevor
06-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Half diminished scales. Basically actually, practically anything containing the term diminished is gonna give you a dark sound. What level of darkness are we talking though - in relation to a band?

PLUGINCHILD
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
i want anything sad, and dark ive been told chromtics are sad and minor chords are sad in realtion to a band i im looking for muse not metalica

chrisbeevor
06-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Oh okay, well for sad it's minor you want. Chromatics can be whatever you want them to be, as they play every note. Maybe the harmonic minor? The raised 7th has quite a distinguished feel and I'm pretty sure Muse use it on occassion.

Personally I'd just find something you like with the dark feel you want, and look at it in the music, disect it and work out exactly what is going on and then try and use that idea in something in your own.

buckethead_jr
06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
^Harmonic minor is more exotic sounding than sad.

Just sounds like Minor is what you're looking for, D minor = :cry:

That's more for a sad sound, if you go into modes the Locrian and superlocrian, locrian double flat 6 etc. are more of a 'dark' sound.

chrisbeevor
06-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah it is exotic. But you can give it a dark/saddened feel. I feel out numbered by inhabitants of Glasgow.

buckethead_jr
06-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I feel out numbered by inhabitants of Glasgow.
:haha

PLUGINCHILD
06-08-2007, 08:43 AM
glasgow is the place to be

buckethead_jr
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
^ True 'dat.

JimmyPage97
06-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Locrian does sound really dark, and has really no central chord. I love the locrian mode. You could also try the Minor Dorian or Lydian of a scale. Like B minor locrian sounds really... odd. Because it's based off the c minor scale.