Laney VC30 112 / Vox AC30 ?

PDA

View Full Version : Laney VC30 112 / Vox AC30 ?

Nezek
06-09-2007, 03:41 AM
It's down to one of the above ..
I've tried the Vox at the shop for around 2 hours.. it has the best cleans ever imo..
although, it's own OD isn't breathtaking and as for effects - that store only had vox pedals which I don't really care for. I've tried those (Bulldog / Big ben) and they just sound the same as the amps' own OD, only with some more gain..

As for the Laney -
the studio i play at has one of those with the Jensen 12".
I just got to play it with my own set of pedals, and I kinda liked how it handled them..

so my question is about the AC30's ability to handle pedal OD/Dist. -
any opinions ?

Ooh.. If it comes down to the Vox, I was thinking about replacing the Neodog in it with a Celestion Greenback.. so any info about that given sound would be nice to have .

Thanks.

slatsmania
06-09-2007, 08:35 AM
I don't know how much help I can be because I have the AC30CC1 and I love the amp's natural OD. I plug straight into it A LOT, although it works extremely well with a push from my TS808, too. To be honest, I haven't been as happy with the sounds of the Fuzz Factory thru it. Part of that might be how much I love the sound of the amp itself, though.

When I bought it one of my first thoughts was to change the speaker, but I've been pleasantly surprised by it's performance. I do run a Tone Tubby 2x10 underneath it, though, in parallel. If I were to upgrade, the Tone Tubby is probably the way I'd go. But like I said, I'm pretty content.

Gutch220
06-09-2007, 09:41 AM
what guitar were you using with it? Single coils and humbuckers will sound very different on an AC30. IMO a "Les Paul" with a tubescreamer can get relatively a lot of gain but with a "Strat" it's a lot less gain but better cleans.

Nezek
06-09-2007, 09:50 AM
well i'm using humbuckers (SD JB / 59) with coil splitting ..
great to hear the 808 runs good through the vox though.. it's still my first choice :)

This_Kidd
06-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Bear in mind though that the AC30 is relatively middy, and so is the TS808. And so is the laney :p:

Just saying you wouldn't want to be overkill on the old mids. An EQ pedal might be a good investment.

Nezek
06-09-2007, 11:09 AM
^
I agree.. - lucky I have one :)

This_Kidd
06-09-2007, 12:15 PM
^Ah, that's good then :D.

Though, if you were to stomp on the TS808 it might be hard to use the EQ to keep the mids down at the same time. If you see what I mean?

Maybe you could have the TS on all the time, and have the EQ on with low mids, and then turn the EQ off for a big mid boost :D.

Just a thought.

slatsmania
06-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I probably can't get enough mids, but I have no trouble with the tone coming out of the TS808+AC30. I keep the tone knob on the TS at noon, and the tone cut on the Vox at about 9 o'clock. And I like to use the bridge pup on my Strat, too.

I definitely feel like I have plenty of room to get any sound I want w/o an eq.

Dave_Mc
06-09-2007, 01:48 PM
how much are each? here in the UK, it's almost solely a budget question, the laney is half the price of the vox.

R_H_C_P
06-09-2007, 03:23 PM
If you can crank the amp, get the Vox.

Gabel
06-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Well I really like the AC30, great amp. The OD is IMO fairly good, but one day I brought my Brit Master (replica of a Dallas Rangemaster) and WOW! You know Brian May's awesome OD tone? Imagine that. Sounded awesome, especially through the normal channel. The sound was similar to Brian May's tone and you could also get some amazing British style crunch sound. I would recommend some kind of Dallas Rangemaster clone to go with the Vox (which IMO is better than the VC30). Check this one out:
http://www.stowned.se/affectronix/britmaster.html

I have one of those and it's amazing. It's 100% handbuilt and the guy there (has the username Call1800KMYAZZ) is a great guy.

Dave_Mc
06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah, i think the vox is better, but then it's twice the price here, so you can make an informed choice, as i said, solely on budget.

but if the laney is more expensive elsewhere (say, the USA), then, assuming they're a similar choice, it's a much easier choice.

Nezek
06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
wow thanks :) im deffo checking that pedal out .
as for the prices- here (Israel) its about a 120$ diff, no biggy .
the Vox is still first on my list.. I was expecting some pro VC30 posts though ..
u guys made it easy . thx again

Dave_Mc
06-10-2007, 11:55 AM
^ well, most of the pro laney guys here are from the UK, lol. where it's really quite cheap for what it is... don't get me wrong, the laney is nice, but i think the vox is nicer...

slatsmania
06-10-2007, 12:01 PM
^ well, most of the pro laney guys here are from the UK, lol. where it's really quite cheap for what it is... don't get me wrong, the laney is nice, but i think the vox is nicer...

Yeah, in the US they're close to the same price. At that point, the Vox is clearly the way to go.

Dave_Mc
06-10-2007, 12:29 PM
^ yeah. i mean, i seem to remember the vc30 sounding a bit better than the vc15, but when i tried the ac30 versus the vc15 (they didn't have a vc30 in that shop), the vox was the clear winner.

Gabel
06-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Generally the VC30 is considered a poor man's AC30 and that's a great descriptions of it. In Sweden and UK it's alot cheaper than an AC30, but an AC30 is better. If they are the same price then the AC30 is the way to go.

Dave_Mc
06-10-2007, 05:05 PM
^ exactly. hit the nail on the head, gabe.

note, that doesn't mean the laney is bad by any means, but yeah, the ac30 is better.

Gabel
06-10-2007, 05:59 PM
^:cheers:

Agreed, the Laney is great, but the Vox is better, but in Europe the Laney is WAY cheaper and therefore more affordable, but if it's the same price as a Vox then you should go with a Vox.

Dave_Mc
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
^ :cheers: