HUGE Problem...

PDA

View Full Version : HUGE Problem...

dethskar0
06-09-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm the frontman of my band. And I currently play guitar and sing in all of my band's songs except 3. the problem is, I don't wanna play guitar anymore. I love being able to move around on stage and just have a lot of freedom that you don't have while playing the guitar.

but...

I love playing the guitar. and my band depends on me to do it. Yeah, we have another guitarist, but he hasn't been playing guitar for very long (I just taught him how to play like 2 and a half weeks before our first show. he's only been playing for about 3 and a half to 4 weeks now, and he's extremely good considering he hasn't been playing long at all, and especially for a punk guitarist) but im getting off subject. I just don't think he's ready to go on his own with the stuff, and a lot of our songs have 2 guitar parts, and i still love playing the guitar, but i dont want to anymore. but that would mess up a lot of our songs and i think our guitarist would be a lot more nervous and feel a lot more pressure if I wasn't playing with him.

But I just don't wanna do it anymore... I love playing the guitar... and I love the way our songs sound with 2 guitars... but I just wanna sing...

what do i do?

confinedforever
06-09-2007, 04:25 AM
sing but still write the guitar parts, and i guess find another guitarist

snarff
06-09-2007, 04:27 AM
find another guitar player,

Croixce
06-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Find another guitar player to replace you and hope they don't mind you sharing part-writing.

dethskar0
06-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Well I'd still write the guitar parts either way. And we've had a lot of trouble with guitarists in the past. I don't think we'd be able to find one. we've had too many ex-guitarists to count.

and the thing is, i love PLAYING the guitar too. I just dont want to. its so weird. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever on what to do. and... yeah i dont know...

felixdcat
06-09-2007, 04:31 AM
Sing in some, play in some, do both in some... Get a new player, someone out there is eager to play in your band (I guess)...

dethskar0
06-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Haha. I doubt it. Pretty much every guitarist that lives near here has been in our band and one point and it didn't work out. haha.

Plus, another problem would be practices. Our practice room already barely fits 4 people. and we'd have to add an extra guy with another guitar and another amp. not cool. also, our bassist already lives 45 minutes away and can't show up to a lot of our practices, and if we add another person it'll just make it even harder to work around everyone's schedule and get us all in the same room (even when we practice without our bassist) at the same time.

phraject
06-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Well, if you look at some bands you can see that the singer sometimes sings and moves around and stuff, and sometimes picks up the guitar and plays stuff.
So you can basicly do both.

imdwalrus
06-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I actually wish I was in the situation you are but with a better co-guitarist. My band only has three people. Guitarist (me), bassist, and drummer. I think it'd be cool occasionally to not play guitar on a song and be able to move around and stuff but it really isn't that big of a deal for me. Just something I think'd be cool. Anyway, wait a little bit 'till your other guitarist is good enough and then you can do what I just said.

dethskar0
06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I guess. Thanks then.

lolmnt
06-09-2007, 09:12 PM
id find a second guitarist and help write the guitar parts

gtrhero93
06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I actually wish I was in the situation you are but with a better co-guitarist. My band only has three people. Guitarist (me), bassist, and drummer. I think it'd be cool occasionally to not play guitar on a song and be able to move around and stuff but it really isn't that big of a deal for me. Just something I think'd be cool. Anyway, wait a little bit 'till your other guitarist is good enough and then you can do what I just said.
thats what my band does. we write some songs that dont have guitar parts so i can put down my axe and sing. but if you wanna do that and also have a gtr part, just make a prerecorded one.

also, if you add another guitarist, you could just not play the guitar in your band, and then you wouldnt take up a whole lot of space as just a vocalist. or just find a more convienient and bigger place to practice

noahray
06-10-2007, 12:20 AM
you can move around with a guitar, what are you tking about? if a kid whos only been playing TWO WEEKs can play your ****, i know for a fact its not hard. im guessing powerchords, maybe octave chords... dude, i play bass and i enjoy going ape**** on stage. i know you can do it while playing guitar. if you have to, get a wireless set and keep it on your belt so you dont have to worry about your cord.

edit- i just listened to your myspace and i dont see how you feel compelled to "move around" when singing or playing that kind of music anyway, its painfully slow

altgrunge
06-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Check out the offspring, their singer/guitarist plays guitar and sings some songs and just sings some songs.

whalepudding
06-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Get a second guitarist.

Kingyem0c0re
06-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Just do simple or the solos on your guitar & sing.

Alot like Hawthorne Heights.
Find another guitarist in the process though.

dethskar0
06-10-2007, 11:59 PM
I guess I could. That was probably what I was gonna do. I don't think I'll get another guitarist. I'll probably just let my guitarist play most of the stuff and I'll play a few solos and little parts during some songs...

fretmaster91
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
First HOW COULD YOU NOT WANNA PLAY GUITAR!!!
Unless you suck at it.
Second Why did you let a guy who has played the guitar for two weeks play a gig?
Unless your stupid

Really though, even if you dont want to play still use your guitar on stage and strum a few chords. It looks cooler and the chicks love it. Look at Elvis he wasnt great at guitar, but he still had it on stage.

HuckIt
06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
well...in some songs just have one guitar playing....for punk thats perfectly alright...look at the offspring...most of the time their frontman plays, but sometimes he doesn't and jumps around stage only singing with only one guitar playing....and that sounds basically just as good....you can only do simple stuff then though....or just get another guitar player

dethskar0
06-12-2007, 06:28 AM
First HOW COULD YOU NOT WANNA PLAY GUITAR!!!
Unless you suck at it.
Second Why did you let a guy who has played the guitar for two weeks play a gig?
Unless your stupid

Really though, even if you dont want to play still use your guitar on stage and strum a few chords. It looks cooler and the chicks love it. Look at Elvis he wasnt great at guitar, but he still had it on stage.

I'm not good at guitar. I won't pretend I am. I think I'm about decent for punk, but nothing better. and nothing flashy. and definately not really good.

and I let him play because he's my friend and he was learning quickly and I knew he could do it.

I just don't wanna play the guitar because it doesn't interest me as much as it used to. I still like playing, I just want more freedom onstage and stuff.

CAPTAINAMAZING
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
stage size has a lot to do with it (imo) If your stage is tiny which, from my expirience, youth bands get a lot, play guitar you cant move anyway but if you're on a big stage play guitar occasionally. i play bass and we got this huge stage that people do plays and stuff on and I went ballz 2 the wallz with my bass so on a big stage not hard small stage u at lest need a wireless mic (freeking expensive). It might just be a phase (i wanted to as well for a while) but playing and singing is just cooler (imo)

bassplayerric
06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
A lot of good advice here.

I take it you guys write and perform your own tunes and that's great.

You can try...

Teach your 2nd guitar player the more complex parts, he'll get these given some time. He'll only get better with time.

You can still play part of the time on those 2-part songs.

A wireless will help.

Put your guitar on one of those stands that allows you to play it and then dive into the mosh pit after your blistering solo. :D

Heck, it might be cheesy, maybe a wireless headset mike?

Get another guitar player and make him stand outside the door of you band room if he won't fit :haha

Get a bigger band room.

dethskar0
06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
^lol. thanks guys. I guess I'll figure out what to do.

lolmnt
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Teach your 2nd guitar player the more complex parts, he'll get these given some time. He'll only get better with time.

this is the best advice so far

zeppelinfreak51
06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
you can move around with a guitar, what are you tking about?

You can run around while playing guitar, and you can run around while singing, but you only have so many hands, and you cant run around with a mic while holding and a guitar.

If you have the money, you could invest in a wirelss headset type mic, though Im not familair with the sound quality of them.

But your best bet is to get your other guitarist performing all the songs he feels comfortable on, and you play the ones he cant. Then you introduce the rest of the songs to him 1 or 2 at a time until he feels comfortable going solo on all your songs. If its punk, it shouldnt be that hard, mainly just power chords anyways.

Another thing to do if you have a song the other guitarist isnt good at would be to run the bass through a few types of distortion and maybe an octafuzz and make it sound like a guitar, just lower, and make him play out. Since punk bass is usually root notes anyones, it shouldnt mess with the songs too much, and its a way to get you to sing without completely sacrificing your bands sound.

Mr.Cuddles
06-16-2007, 07:44 PM
sing then once your into a part were lead joins rythm put your guitar on your back and run...

whalepudding
06-17-2007, 12:04 AM
^What?

Slipping_Away
06-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Write some songs with one guitar part and/or strip down a few more songs to one guitar part. That way you can still play guitar on some songs and have freedom on others. Quite a few bands do this.