Help with Jam

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jam

sven_cliffy
06-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Im having a jam with my band tomorow and im kind of stuck on what to do. We usualy just bugger around and never get anything done. What can i do to get us focused on actualy playing and writeing?

We have a 2 guitars, drums and me on bass
We play metal and hard rock (if that helps)

Confusius
06-09-2007, 05:09 AM
just work out a chord progression with your rhythm guitarist and then you improvise over it while the drummer hits a beat and your bassist grooves along. Make sure you get the point across that you want to do something because or else people will just ass around

ak Gitaroo Man
06-09-2007, 05:17 AM
When I jam, either me and/or the bassist bust out a riff (either some sort of metal thing or something pentatonic based), and then the other learns it, voices/embellishes it, solos over it, etc. That's what my band does because we play more metal stuff. The chord way confusius stated is real easy (and fun) for hard rock.

Barbarastreisnd
06-09-2007, 05:30 AM
We tried jamming around on stuff-didn't work. Me and the other guitarist tried just jamming with the two of us-didn't work. So now because he doesn't like to write stuff out, I end up writing all of our songs all the way out and showing each part to everybody and then they make minor changes.
This approach has worked so far but it ends up that I'm playing rhythm guitar more often because I write the progressions even though I'm probably more suited to playing leads than the other guitarist. Whatever gets a song written though.