Should I stay with my band?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay with my band?

kholdphlames
06-09-2007, 11:17 AM
ok. for starters, we are a band composed of 14 y/o guys... we are all noobs right now... i have been trying to persuade them into buying instruments and practicing, but they havent, despite all my efforts... i feel that im the only one who is practicing wholeheartedly... and now, in my bass guitar tutorial center, one of the instructors saw a "potential" in me and he said that he'll advertise me to bands who are looking for a bassist... now i dont know if i should say no... my current band is made out of friendship, but all of our past gigs at our school resulted to failure... should i stick with them?

TargetHHH101
06-09-2007, 11:23 AM
no way man if they were really ur friends they try harder.

pht
06-09-2007, 11:24 AM
stay with them untill youve found a better band

Lord Jesus
06-09-2007, 11:25 AM
If your friends doesn't have instruments and can't play it's not much of a band... Besides you can always be in two bands, especially if the band you're in now isn't really a band. I'd say go for it, and if your friends really are so narrowminded they can't let you do both things, well then there's no point in sticking with them.

el toro DKiAB
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't think so. If your band is made out of frienship, maybe the majority just want to be in it because it's fun to be with friends and they think being musicians is cool. But they don't really want to be involved. At least that's what I think. Stuff like that already happened to me, it's no fun. And you should accept the guy at your tutorial center offer's of advertising you. Remember, even if another band wants you, you're not forced to be with them ;) .

theduke92
06-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I'd say no.

If they're not commited to it, I wouldn't play with them.

Lendorav
06-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Remember that playing music is all about fun. And playing music with your friends is a luxury that only a few of us have. But when your friends are keeping you down musically, get the hell out of there. If they aren't serious and you are, I'd say quit.

Dutch_Apples
06-10-2007, 04:46 AM
I don't know how you can quit when you don't have a band to begin with.

Come on, they don't have the instruments and don't practice? A band isn't 4 guys talking about music in someone's living room.

Triviumfan54
06-10-2007, 05:12 AM
ok. for starters, we are a band composed of 14 y/o guys... we are all noobs right now... i have been trying to persuade them into buying instruments and practicing, but they havent, despite all my efforts... i feel that im the only one who is practicing wholeheartedly... and now, in my bass guitar tutorial center, one of the instructors saw a "potential" in me and he said that he'll advertise me to bands who are looking for a bassist... now i dont know if i should say no... my current band is made out of friendship, but all of our past gigs at our school resulted to failure... should i stick with them?

I know how hard it is to leave your friends behind, i'm the leader in my band i'm i just fired my drummer, who is perhaps my best friend. But ultimately, they're not going to be your friends forever, and if you want to realise your potential you really should leave them. It's better to find people that have the same attitude toward music that you do, otherwise you'll just be stuck in a rut not knowing what to do with your friends.

kholdphlames
06-10-2007, 11:39 PM
you guys may be right.... but what do i say to my friends now?

Ryanatthebass
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
sounds like EVERY band I've been in lol

Get out by telling them that you feel that you are the only serious memeber and it is nothing personal but you want to pursue other bands, and if they want you back they would have to be more serious.

Remember to say that it is nothing personal, and that you would still like to be friends.

Lendorav
06-11-2007, 05:46 PM
you guys may be right.... but what do i say to my friends now?

The usual excuse: musical differences.

Ryanatthebass
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
haha

Musical Differences=You suck, I hate your guts.

SpiritOfRadio11
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
well, alot of people are in multiple bands. If this one doesnt paractice that much like it sounds, then you can just be in the other and have it take priority, dont absolutly have to choose one or the other, but at least for now, you should wait untill you have another band before you quit this one or you could end up without one at all.

trey-col89
06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
No offense, but what your in now doesn't really seem like much of a band. I'd say look for something else.

kholdphlames
06-12-2007, 08:50 AM
alright, now my other friend is looking for a bassist... he's a huge pro and i looked up to him, but if i join him, i'd have to eliminate my friends from the band... I mean it would be seriously hard to have 3 bands right? long things short: in bands, what is more important, friends and possible chemistry, or skill?

Battery.
06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
kk heres what u do. take lessons. ditch ur band. have jams every now and again. and advertise ur elf saying ur crap. and remember talk is cheap :)

bassplayerric
06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
alright, now my other friend is looking for a bassist... he's a huge pro and i looked up to him, but if i join him, i'd have to eliminate my friends from the band... I mean it would be seriously hard to have 3 bands right? long things short: in bands, what is more important, friends and possible chemistry, or skill?

Okay, let me get this straight.

In one "band", the other guys don't even have instruments but they're your friends and you want to jam with them. Okay, first they will have to buy instruments and learn to play. This can go on the back burner for a bit. Keep planning it, but they will have to actually acquire instruments and learn to play. There's really no getting around it :D .

There's no rule that says you can't be in 3 bands....er, you're 14. It's summertime dude, unless you got a job, I say go for it. The only limit I see is getting a ride where you need to go. Have amp will travel!

My advice is to take this time and jam/meet with as many people as you can. By the time you're 18 you are established and experienced.

As far as what's important bandwise, all that you've listed is somewhat important.

I know in time, it will become frustrating if a member isn't up on their "homework" or their chops, or doesn't show up for rehearsals. And sometimes you won't be able to stand the drummer, but he plays well and you can groove with him, but you don't want to hang out with him. This is normal. Musicians are weird.

But that's for later. Right now is the time to learn this first hand because what will work for you only you can know over time.

Go out and play as much as you can!

kholdphlames
06-13-2007, 07:40 AM
cool advice guys... it's not summertime here in the philippines though... when do you think i should start doing gigs that, you know, will earn me decent cash?