Should I get involved in this?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I get involved in this?

Dores
06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I've been playing for more than a year, and I'm quite desperately looking for a band to join. Even though I can listen to most music, my taste when it comes to what I like isn't too broad.

So I found this guy who posted at a forum, saying that he needed musicians. He had a band earlier on, but all the other members quit and their drummer sucked. Now he's got a new drummer (haven't heard him play, but he says he's good). Anyways, I met this guy and we played a little, slowly discovering all the differences between us.

This is him:
Loves Linkin Park
Loves My Chemical Romance
Loves Offspring
Seems to love most numetal/"punk".
Plays too loud
Doesn't know what alternate and tremolo picking is (although he can alternate to a certain degree)
Smokes
Snuffs
Drinks

This is me:
Loves Arch Enemy
Loves Slayer
Hates Linkin Park
Hates My Chemical Romance
Hates Offspring
Hates most numetal/punk
Plays at low volumes to save my ears (no plans on turning deaf dudes)
Can alternate pick and tremolo pick at fairly high speeds
Never smokes
Never snuffs
Never drinks
Is also a vegetarian

So there you have some of the differences. Yes, it was fun playing with him, and he taught me "The Kids Aren't Allright" or whatever it was by Offspring, and we played that together. I'm just wondering if it's a smart thing to get involved in this, considering that we are pretty different and have different tastes. It would be soo much more fun if we could fire up some good old Slayer songs together, or something like that. Something that I like too.

What should I do?

Confusius
06-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Give it a go. Teach the kid, sorta like Satriani and Vai. The you will grow up he will practise more and end up owning you, but still respect you

Dores
06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh well it don't think he's ever going to practise more than me anyway. But he plays this... alternative music, pretty well.

But the intro to South of Heaven scared him a bit "that's like a solo in the beginning, can you play that?"

muSICAL FUSION
06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
id try it out..... you could probably find something you both like

and just not have him smoke and whatever if your bothered by it,
and if your not then its of no importance unless he starts skippin practice to get high and eat dogs

drag_the_waters
06-09-2007, 05:44 PM
i'd give it a shot. you don't have to go exactly one way. you can combine the two and find something in the middle and make some really cool stuff that is different than other peoples music. as for the smoking, drinking etc. just tell him not to do it if your around.

gtrhero93
06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
dont do it. you have nothing in common. he isn't the only guy in the world who can teahc you to play a song, hell, this website can do that. join a band with someone more like you.

Dutch_Apples
06-10-2007, 04:51 AM
\I'm quite desperately looking for a band to join.

I think that answers your question. If you are that desperate, you won't care about style. You also should worry about people who have different personalities being in the same band. That happens all the time. I know of some professional bands were some of the members that have been together for 20 years rarely talk to each other except about band stuff. Just stay with it for awhile and keep looking for other projects.

bassplayerric
06-12-2007, 07:39 PM
You've been playing for a year.

Now is the time to get as much experience playing with others, learning, dealing with other musicians, meeting new people. Network!

Play with anyone and everyone you can. In time you'll be seasoned and when you reach that point you'll know what you can deal with in bandmates and what you can't.

Sometimes the differences in musicians create that "creative tension" that captures lightning in a bottle.

GuitarMunky
06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
You've been playing for a year.

Now is the time to get as much experience playing with others, learning, dealing with other musicians, meeting new people. Network!

Play with anyone and everyone you can. In time you'll be seasoned and when you reach that point you'll know what you can deal with in bandmates and what you can't.

Sometimes the differences in musicians create that "creative tension" that captures lightning in a bottle.

+1