Is C# standard an actual tuning?

PDA

View Full Version : Is C# standard an actual tuning?

carrotcake
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Not many bands use C# standard, and the only band that I know of that uses this tuning is Between the Buried and Me. To get in C# standard you tune each string down 1 1/2 steps, and Between the Buried and Me's guitarist's use a regular 6-string guitar so it would be (from high to low) C#, G#, E, B, F#, C#. It's the same with the bands bassist who uses a 5-string. I was just wondering if that was an actual tuning or a made up one.

Kurapica
06-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Any tuning that anyone makes up ever, is an actual tuning.

People like Joni Mitchell make up tonnes to play their songs and it's a very practical way of hitting alot of chords.

The one you've just explain is just heavy though, just a shifted version of standard so anything in standard can be played in that tuning...it'll just sound heavy as your nan.

muSICAL FUSION
06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
uhh ya.......

burn the stars
06-09-2007, 05:58 PM
yes

TheClincher
06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Chevelle uses that tuning on a couple songs, so yes, yes it is....Chevelle, FTW!!!

edit: i'm usually in drob B (B, F#, B, E, G#, C#) :eek:

Heat-13
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
its just a tuning, a one half step drop from drop D.. its ok i suppose, the sharps might give it a cool feel to it...

its up to personal preference really

Will_Minus
06-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I hate when people say "(note) standard tuning". If it's not EADGBE, it's not standard. It's either standard, or Eb, D, Db, C, etc. not both, make up your minds.

But seriously, tunings like that going all the way from E to B, and sometimes A or G#.

Dudage
06-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I hate when people say "(note) standard tuning". If it's not EADGBE, it's not standard. It's either standard, or Eb, D, Db, C, etc. not both, make up your minds.

But seriously, tunings like that going all the way from E to B, and sometimes A or G#.

They're not calling it standard tuning, they're calling it C or D or whatever standard tuning. The preceding letting no longer refers to it as standard tuning.

Guitarislife125
06-09-2007, 06:42 PM

They call it "standard" because that tuning is in standard 4ths. There is a difference between say DGCFAD and DFABCD. You wouldn't call the second just plainly "D".

Kartman
06-09-2007, 07:38 PM
They call it "standard" because that tuning is in standard 4ths. There is a difference between say DGCFAD and DFABCD. You wouldn't call the second just plainly "D".
Owned. And "+1" for being correct.

Invictious
06-09-2007, 11:05 PM
C# tuning, meh.
Obscure tunings FTW!

Makes it sound so much more different.

grampastumpy
06-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Any random bunch of notes is a tuning. It just might not have a name. C# standard isn't even all that out there.

Striketalonx
06-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Pretty much, except guitar is tuned in Fifths, and then a fourth for B.

DaddyTwoFoot
06-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Pretty much, except guitar is tuned in Fifths, and then a fourth for B.

No, guitars are tuned in 4ths, with a 3rd for B.

Striketalonx
06-09-2007, 11:27 PM
No, guitars are tuned in 4ths, with a 3rd for B.

Waaaaiit: I'm pretty sure its in fifths. Why? Because you have E, ok? Now Four steps up from E is G#.

Garci
06-09-2007, 11:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Floods is in C#, at least I play it that way.

And BTW, I love playing in C#, it gives it such a sad, gloomy feeling. Like Dee, for example. It is awesome in C#, I personally prefer it that way.

DaddyTwoFoot
06-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Waaaaiit: I'm pretty sure its in fifths. Why? Because you have E, ok? Now Four steps up from E is G#.

You don't understand musical intervals, do you? It's not based on fret numbers, it's based on the space between the notes according to the major scale.

Also, a step is 2 frets, not one.

Striketalonx
06-10-2007, 12:03 AM
You don't understand musical intervals, do you? It's not based on fret numbers, it's based on the space between the notes according to the major scale.

Also, a step is 2 frets, not one.

No, I understand musical intervals fine. By steps, I meant halfsteps/semitones.

I think you've got it mixed up. Take the E Major Scale. Now the intervals would be Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half. Oooh..
Ok, I see now. Myy bad.

I think the error in my thinking was from a book I read where it stated its five semitones up, except for the B, which is four. And that statement is true, I just had a mental block on the keyword there..

thetoastinator
06-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah it is. My Schecter is in that tuning right now actually. Children of Bodom use it on some of their songs.

SG Man Forever
06-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Tony Iommi used it on Black Sabbaths later albums to make it easier on his fingers, or lack therof.

ExplorerFreak
06-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Behemoth.

PaperStSoapCo
06-10-2007, 01:43 AM
a perfect circle

Metallica708
06-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Any tuning that anyone makes up ever, is an actual tuning.

QFT

Black Sabbath originally used it. First metal band to downtune for heaviness.

SpartanDoober
06-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Pantera has a few or a lot of songs in C#