how should i run this?

PDA

View Full Version : how should i run this?

Dunjma
06-11-2007, 01:33 AM
ok my mates are coming over on sunday for a play and i know exactly how its going to go... we talk for an hour after they get here, i say lets play a bit.. we do.. then we stop and start talking again.. we dont really do much. the idea was to start tryin to get a song down but i know thats not gonna happen.. what should i do to lead in that general direction?

ps dont suggest changing band.. ive struggled for about a year just to organise something like this so finding someone else to play with is near on impossible

dookie_dude_
06-11-2007, 01:38 AM
what genre? but maybe tell them to shut up or, like me, do it all solo and then tell them what to do later,(<bad ideas btw)

HeavenlyVirus
06-11-2007, 01:38 AM
while they're talking, play....they'll get the urge to play too.

ThisFireBurns22
06-11-2007, 01:42 AM
what we do is this:

1) Talk a bit, 15-20 minutes, while we set up, tune, whatever.
2) We review what we were last working on. The newest song.
3) We run through half of our other songs.
4) We take a 15-20 minute break. Smoke break, phone break, whatever.
5) We run through other songs, plus the one we started the day with.
6) We write new material lastly.
7) After practice, we hang out and talk or we try to go get some dinner.

I feel that this helps a lot cause we all go in knowing what to expect and what needs to happen. Making music is fun, but if you want to be serious, you have to almost do it like this. There needs to be some structure or a timeline of what needs to happen and when. Our structure is that we chat, get serious, chat, do something else. If you go in wanted to write new material or whatever the whole time, it is bound people will lose focus. You just need to change it up. How often do you meet? Perhaps you are playing too much. My band meets on Mondays and Thursday at 5:00 till whenever. I can't wait to go. If you play too much, maybe everyone just feels like we can do it tomorrow. Ya know? But I would definately suggest forming a routine or something.

Dunjma
06-11-2007, 01:45 AM
sounds good, thanks guys

Unforgivable
06-11-2007, 09:08 AM
one thing dont tell everyone to learn covers cause that never happens. When a band is like this, its best to do your own stuff.

The thing I like doing to give my band inspiration is to talk with them and wait till someone says something funny. When they say something funny, play a little riff and sing whatever they said to it. It gets everyone back in the mood for music. Well it does in my band ;)

P.S. If that doesn't work, grab a drum stick and threaten to stick it up their noses unless they play. That works too :)

P.S.S. If that doesn't work, threaten to stick it somewhere else ;)