At what point does one man define a band?

PDA

View Full Version : At what point does one man define a band?

basslyon
06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Over the weekend i saw "Axl Rose and the Hired Guns" aka Guns n Roses. Firstly VR put on a better show but moving on to my point.

Axl claims he is guns n roses and in a legal sense he is. but to fans did it stop being gunners when slash left? or Duff? or Izzy?

If Nate (bassist) left the Foo fighters, Dave Grohl would be the only original band member but would would give him the same flack that axl cops?

Its not the frontman/singer that can be said to be the band cos bands like deep purple, van halen and ac/dc have all carried on with new singers.

If flea left the chili peppers would you still consider it the chilis? Or if fruschante left now would you still consider it the chilis? they carried on when he quit 15 years ago but would that be the case now?

therussian
06-13-2007, 10:31 PM
When your band is named after you ie. the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Of the top of my head, that's the only band that I can think of.

Nirvana-Man
06-13-2007, 10:35 PM
When your band is named after you ie. the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Of the top of my head, that's the only band that I can think of.
+1, i agree. But one guy should never run the ENTIRE show!

slash_angus_VH
06-13-2007, 10:35 PM
true. or, if there's one single person that writes all the music and lyrics or has complete artistic control. this is the case with Dave Grohl, but not Axl Rose. other examples are Jim Morrison, Zakk Wylde (in BLS), etc.

basslyon
06-13-2007, 10:36 PM
even then when he got a new band it stopped being the jh experience and became jh: band of gypsies

Johl
06-13-2007, 10:38 PM
A name is just a name.

But bands just use the same name if they've had a successful careers with it. It makes it easier to promote themselves.

I know what your saying though. Once any original band member leaves, the band will never be the same, even if the person who left, comes back. There is still that reason why they did.

(Crappy analogy, but...)

Like how Michael Jordan "retired", it wasn't the same AT ALL once he returned. Haha, I remember he had the #45 for a little while. I was like... "Who is this n00b?"

therussian
06-13-2007, 10:40 PM
true. or, if there's one single person that writes all the music and lyrics or has complete artistic control. this is the case with Dave Grohl, but not Axl Rose. other examples are Jim Morrison, Zakk Wylde (in BLS), etc.
I also thought the Doors at first, but even though Morrison was the "main" member, he was never the "band". Ray Manzarek, Bobby Krieger and John Densmore were integral parts of the band (Manzarek especially). I guess to casual listeners they'd be like "Oh yeah, the Doors, Jim Morrison rocks dude", but to fans of the band, they'll appreciate every member.

Which I guess could be applied to every other band on the face of the earth, but still.

Wayward_Son
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
That's pretty true I think. But really, the name of the band doesn't matter anyway. It's the music that sets it apart. The new GNR isn't much like the old one, so even though the new crew has the same name, they're practically a different band.

Paved
06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
I figure it's when a member has total artistic control. Generally it's the guy who fronts the band. I'm thinking of The Who, where Townshend wrote most of the stuff and was generally the leader of the band, but Daltrey was definitely the frontman. It varies from band to band. Cobain defined Nirvana, Arthur Lee defined Love, Malkmus defined Pavement, Reed defined the Velvets, etc. It definitely depends on how much the person puts into the band, especially in comparison with all the other guys. To define a band so that if you left, it would never be the same, you have to make really distinctive contributions to the music.

bassplayerric
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
It all depends on the band in question and a person's own opinion.

I never felt Pink Floyd was Pink Floyd even though in the '80's there were three members of the classic line up minus Roger Waters, but that's just my opinion and we all know what that's worth.

Roger Waters isn't Pink Floyd either. Pink Floyd only exists when the four of them are playing.

There are some purist Floyd fans that would say they weren't Floyd after Syd departed.

When GNR burst on the scene back in the day I had a strong feeling they would never last as a band. But they did last longer than I originally thought.

Would I pay money to go see Axl Rose play GNR stuff with hired hands? It would depend on who the hired hands were. And probably not.

z4twenny
06-14-2007, 05:18 PM
when that one man is Trent Reznor..... then.....

batman123
06-14-2007, 08:25 PM
credence clearwater revival is now creedence clearwater revisited

idk, they can do whatever with their names, doesnt bother me, music never changed.

Drmckool
06-14-2007, 09:05 PM
well the chillis need all memebers to be the chillis, dave grohl is the foo fighters

Americanhoser
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Right just how Megadeth is Dave Mustaine and three hired hands. Except that's how it has been for a long time....and all of his hired hands never really 'suck'.

whalepudding
06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
When the majority of the original line-up (or the lineup from when they were most popular, or their first album or whatever) has left or been kicked out by this guy, and this one man pretty much can kick out of invite new members without needing to ask the others.

redweekrocker
06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
well i agree with some people that the name tells a lot of it, but to tell u the truth a lot of bands there is one person that you think of when u think of that band
Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder
Nirvana, Kurt Cobain
Twisted Sister, Dee Snider

Then there are bands that you think of more than one member
The Beatles, JOHN PAUL GEORGE RINGO of course
Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page
Cream, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker

THE RUSSIAN, i dont know how many of the other people in this place recognize the song in your sig, but i is one of my favorite beatles songs. Tomorrow Never Knows the 14 track on the album Revolver. My favorite lines are

Love is all
Love is everyone
It is knowing
It is knowing

I appreciate your musical tastes

eXperiment63
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
When that one said man is far and away the best talent in the band. That isn't always the case, but when one member of a band is great, and the rest are mediocre than one man becomes the band. If Brent Smith, who is an amazing vocalist, left Shinedown... That band would be ****, so I guess you could say he IS Shinedown.

skater dan0
06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
i think its when one member has such an influence on the sound that they become ireplacable in that band

for example

les claypool and primus
tom morello and zach de la rocha from RATM
and as much as i hate to say it axl rose from GnR

Blink_Freak3
06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
when they acted like tom delonge. lol

alienboy18241
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
When that one said man is far and away the best talent in the band. That isn't always the case, but when one member of a band is great, and the rest are mediocre than one man becomes the band. If Brent Smith, who is an amazing vocalist, left Shinedown... That band would be ****, so I guess you could say he IS Shinedown.
Actually, Shinedown started because Brent Smith's old band started going down hill, and the record label decided to continue with just him, and had him go on and find new musicians and start a new band.

So basically, he is Shinedown. But as far as talent goes, the 3 musicians he has are good.