[Tabs, GP5, Metal] Part I. The Dark Tower Sets the Stage

PDA

View Full Version : [Tabs, GP5, Metal] Part I. The Dark Tower Sets the Stage

nightblood
06-17-2007, 02:57 AM
This is a song I've been working on for a bit. It is called The Dark Tower Sets the Stage and is Part I in a multiple part concept album. It isn't finished, it's a rough cut, and it has no lyrics, but tell me what parts you liked, what you didn't like, what needs to be changed, and just whatever. Also, I'm aware that there aren't any solos. This song is made to be in the style of doom metal, because it is to be sung/played at the same time.

SGxMastodonxSG
06-17-2007, 05:00 AM
To be honest, it bored me. I guess it would be different with vocals, but alone, it bored me. I think it was the fact that the drums were horrible. It would be a million times better if the drums did something slightly interesting. The guitar isn't that interesting to pull it off by itself, it needs some help from the drums. I don't know how to put it better than that, but yeah. You had some interesting riffs though.

nightblood
06-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I know the drums suck. I don't play drums, so I didn't know what to do. And I'm going to start writing lyrics soon. And I don't know anything about soloing, so thats the lack of that. But once I get some cool scales down, I'll put them in there.

nightblood
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
oh no double post. But I reworked the song. I think its about v0.99. all it needs are some better lyrics and drums. other than that this is part 1 of the story

SGxMastodonxSG
06-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Yeah, I know the drums suck. I don't play drums, so I didn't know what to do. And I'm going to start writing lyrics soon. And I don't know anything about soloing, so thats the lack of that. But once I get some cool scales down, I'll put them in there.
I'm not a fan of solos, in fact I kinda hate them. But yeah.
I'll check out the new version now.

edit: better, doesn't feel as drawn out. Drums are slightly better too, but still needs work. I say it's an improvement though. :)

leo_p8
06-18-2007, 07:44 AM
(Heard both versions)

The main issue is the boredom factor...

I think that the issue is simply that it's too slow. and too empy. Stick a synth in the back and let it drone (just to fill up the sound), then re-work the song so that the guitar plays half-time to the drums (so double up the tempo), that way the guitar stuff doesn't change, but your drummer can completely destroy himself playing something entertaining and/or effective and filling to the song.

Hell... even if he just jazzed it up and played with the hi-hat it would really do a lot for the ambiance of the song.

Anyway... If I get time tonight I'll try to give you an example of what I mean (no promises though). Best of luck, man.

nightblood
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
@ SG: thanks man. Today while listening to the likes of Deus Irae and Dream Theater I discovered the hi-hat. I'll work that into the song after finals are over.

@leo: Yeah, I think I might add a synth. It will destroy the 3-peice Power Band, but I was thinking that for Part II or possibly III I will have a section that sounds near the intro to Mr. Crowley. And yeah, hi-hats for everyone. I'll try and speed up the tempo and have the guitar play half time, but for some sections, such as the verse, I want it to be slow and droning, reminiscent of the Imperial March, or that evil thing from LotR.

Thanks for your feedback guys.