Stage Fright

PDA

View Full Version : Stage Fright

dudeman_andy
06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Ok so basically I cant even think about getting up on stage, i want to but the sheer idea of it scares me.

So how did you get over stage fright?

im_hungry
06-17-2007, 03:18 PM
James Hetfield used beer.

Nirvana-Man
06-17-2007, 03:18 PM
you just have to grit your teethand do it... singing is hardest

dudeman_andy
06-17-2007, 03:19 PM
ok, but how big was ur first gig?

tawermeister
06-17-2007, 03:19 PM
more gigs. think of a routine for each gig and maybe learn it well.

it always helps to get drunk beforehand, like really smashed like you cant stand up, but just enough for some dutch courage.

rage6945
06-17-2007, 03:22 PM
haha my friend had a band called stage frite

uh yea just get on stage. don't think about it. just do it

if you really had a passion for music and wanted to share it with the world getting on stage shouldnt be a problem

Zoso68
06-17-2007, 03:24 PM
just know what ur gonna be playing perfectly and when you get onstage just forget whats going on and just play

BlakeAllan
06-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I thought I would be scared until I did it. After you get on stage you kind of forget you are playing for people. But my first gig was like 40 people, so maybe that doesn't count.

hurlyz
06-17-2007, 03:30 PM
So how did you get over stage fright?Enjoy being on the stage and people liking you... Play as if it was a band practice and they'll love it! :)

Also, do your best but keep in mind that once the show is started, people will NOT notice any of your errors (unless it's really big but a few notes missed here and there isn't a big deal) or even if they notice it, they won't really care as they were coming for the show, not for that single note ;)

hurlyz
06-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I thought I would be scared until I did it. After you get on stage you kind of forget you are playing for people. But my first gig was like 40 people, so maybe that doesn't count.About the same thing here... I wanted to puke before the show and as soon as I went on-stage, I forgot about stress and all went good! :)

~30ish persons 1st show for me...

Confusius
06-17-2007, 04:18 PM
You will be scared to death the first time but as soon as the audience claps it's heaven...and if they say you suck you can always come up with a witty comeback

Sir Edwin CBE
06-17-2007, 04:23 PM
As long as you're confident you'll play well ( you or your band ) it should be ok. Get on stage, introduce yourselves and tell a bad joke or something, go yee-haa like a cowboy - anything to make yourself a little less nervous, make the gig less formal and to mak yourself look stupid, then you won't be scared of it happening accidentally.

skater dan0
06-17-2007, 04:50 PM
why are you so worried? like the audience can do any better than you, once you get on stage and start playing all the fear will vanish

my first gig was infront of 300 people at a school talent show

rizo299
06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I just grin and bear it.

Makes sure you eat fruit rather than sweets in the day, I find it just helps keeps your nerves a bit better :p:

Just before you get on stage, and onwhen you first get on stage Jump Around ALOT. Gets your energy out, you'll find that halfway through the first verse your fine.

zeppelinfreak51
06-17-2007, 06:13 PM
I was like this once, but once you play, you find out performing music is one of the best feelings in the world.

chech95
06-17-2007, 06:20 PM
be 100% confident in yourself and what you can do, if you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

atleast in my opinion, musicians have it better than comedians. a little off topic but you get what im trying to say :D

S)E-Javelin
06-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I've never even had a gig before nonetheless even been in a band but I would imagine myself practicing in front of 5 or 6 people (a group) before the actual show in order to ready myself more since I do have a bit of stage fright.

trey-col89
06-17-2007, 07:36 PM
xanax

SamxNHO
06-17-2007, 07:39 PM
i heard under stress u perform better so if this is true its a win win situation :D

S)E-Javelin
06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
i heard under stress u perform better so if this is true its a win win situation :D
Trust me, no

hurlyz
06-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Trust me, noYou're right.... Stress didn't help me at all!

High volume music did help me "get in the mood" aswell as the crowd and all, but stress didn't help! :p:

SilverStratocas
06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
if you really had a passion for music and wanted to share it with the world getting on stage shouldnt be a problem

That's how I feel.

My problem is that I have NO STAGE FRIGHT WHATSOEVER. That kinda makes me end up looking really cocky. I'm always way to anxious to get on stage. :-p

The way to handle stage fright depends on the style of gig you are playing:

A show specifically for you: If people came knowing that you were coming (like at a rented out venue), then there should be NO WORRIES at all because they are all ready to see your band perform.

A variety show (Such as a talent show): A little harder to play at, because A). There's a possibility of more and/or better bands, B). MANY limitations, and C). Not everyone is there to see you.

If you are confident about your music, then you should just play, and be thrilled that you have the damned lights on you, and if people don't like it, they can pick up a guitar/bass/mic/pair of sticks and attempt to play with a band or just get over it. If you like it, then play it. Don't let other people's opinions hold you back, because that's just a bunch of crap.

S)E-Javelin
06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
You're right.... Stress didn't help me at all!

High volume music did help me "get in the mood" aswell as the crowd and all, but stress didn't help! :p:
How could stress possibly be a pro factor?

Dutch_Apples
06-18-2007, 03:26 AM
If you are EXTREMELY nervous about it, I would recommend video recording yourself. This is how I got over it. Even with the camcorder rolling, I felt like I was being watched.

666_Belial
06-18-2007, 05:06 AM
^^yea, i used to be nervous while recording myself, but i got over it... :D

KavaticaMetal
06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
just like any other fear, you gotta just do it and get over it...maybe try getting naked on stage...that would help getting over your fear.....

seriously though, you will get less and less nervous the more you are up on stage...it becomes pretty natural after awhile...especially once you start to get some fans who are cheering for you when you play..

the_triangle
06-18-2007, 06:42 PM
practice in front of family and freidns... and hope they don't say ur ****:haha

ouchies
06-18-2007, 08:08 PM
That's how I feel.

My problem is that I have NO STAGE FRIGHT WHATSOEVER. That kinda makes me end up looking really cocky. I'm always way to anxious to get on stage. :-p

The way to handle stage fright depends on the style of gig you are playing:

A show specifically for you: If people came knowing that you were coming (like at a rented out venue), then there should be NO WORRIES at all because they are all ready to see your band perform.

A variety show (Such as a talent show): A little harder to play at, because A). There's a possibility of more and/or better bands, B). MANY limitations, and C). Not everyone is there to see you.

If you are confident about your music, then you should just play, and be thrilled that you have the damned lights on you, and if people don't like it, they can pick up a guitar/bass/mic/pair of sticks and attempt to play with a band or just get over it. If you like it, then play it. Don't let other people's opinions hold you back, because that's just a bunch of crap.

I'm like you and I agree with what you're saying. Just have some confidence in yourself

bassplayerric
06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Ok so basically I cant even think about getting up on stage, i want to but the sheer idea of it scares me.

So how did you get over stage fright?

I didn't do this puposefully to get over stage fright, but it helped.

I began helping a friend of mine back in the day set up sound production, lights, etc. all that stuff. I found walking around on stage moving monitors, cabinets, micing drumsets, before the show helped both my knowlege of sound production and also being on stage with a bunch of faces looking up at me.

Also crashing and burning onstage and the feeling it gives you afterward is a great incentive to never allow it to happen again.

It really helps to have real confidence in your playing and your playing together as a band. If you approach the show as a team -- a single unit, you will find you are stronger and much less susceptible to stage fright.

If you have members that are experiencing stage fright, take the lead and act as if the gig is no big deal, even if you are scared out of your wits. Projecting that calm will more than likely calm down your bandmates and have a soothing effect on you in addition.

But I can't stress enough being prepared and rehearsed for the gig. Have all your equipment and the associated "stuff", flashlight, tape, spare strings, etc. But above all, be prepared with your material.

After you nail that first song, you'll be like, "stage.....what?"

nodice182
06-19-2007, 04:24 AM
I used to get terrible stage fright (still do, just not as much). It's just an experience thing really- try playing in front of just a few people, friends family or whoever, and gradually build the numbers up.

Try and jump around a bit before you go on stage, I find expending a bit of energy helps my nerves (stops you from shaking if you get it that bad). Also I find on stage, the more I stand around doing nothing, the more nervous I get- if you're playing a style of music that's energetic, get into it a bit, and if you keep this up long enough, you'll be too tired to be scared anyway.

tehREALcaptain
06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
vicodin?
or get off the stage and sing in the crowd for a bit, converse with the crowd between songs, just do whatever it takes to have fun and sound good.

Barbarastreisnd
06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
the first time might be a little iffy but after that, I don't get nervous anymore. Just go up with the mindset that you're just playing music for some people and not " oh crap, i'm on a stage. I hope i don't mess up."

WOWdoritos
06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
My first gig was infront of 150+ people, 3 mins before i went on i was nervous to ****. about 2 mins in , i ****ing loved it!

guitaruboy
06-26-2007, 01:05 PM
if the lights on stage are bright and you can't see the crowd, it makes it alot easier since you don't get nervous from them watching you

adambc
06-26-2007, 04:50 PM
just keep it out of your mind.

its just like doing a big jump for the first time on a snowboard/skateboard/bike etc. Just dont think about the possibilities of screwing up.

ONLY focus on how kick ass its going to be when its all said and done, and how ****ing rad you are. Once youre sure that you are the ****, youll do fine.

My first gig was in a bar in my town, we went over capacity, so i think there was close to 300 people there. Anyways, i had a couple screw up, but overall, i kicked ass, and just had fun.

Itll be a blast, dont worry about it at all. Just get up there, and kick ass like you would in a normal practice jam.

Dozza
06-26-2007, 06:07 PM
I get so scared before I go onstage... shaking and everything. I have to sing and play guitar... and it's not as bad when doing it... and after we've played I'm well more confident for the rest of the night.

Not really much help... try breathing exercises... my drummer made me do them.

dean_from_hell
06-26-2007, 06:11 PM
when i first had a gig i thought i would have loads of stage fright i'd never played guitar in front of people before but once i started i was fine, i stood completly still but i enjoyed it but now ive loosened up alot more onstage and i have no problem with it

FNAFJ
06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
I looked at the ground && head-banged... and didn't think about the crowd =]

krymson
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Just get up and be really confident, or if you cant do that, then lie to yourself. Convince yourself your King-****.

For me a few minutes into the gig ill get used to all the people infront of me. Unless, you keep your head down, if you do this you wont get use to the crowd plus youll look like a tard. I myself and guilty of this lol.

EDIT: Coffee, loads of sugared up coffee, after that your so hyper you just dont give a ****. The first time I tried this, the only shaking I had was from a coffeine overdose.

micksbiggestfan
06-29-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm going to be doing my first show this fall. I'm not really nervous about it. I'm just trying to think of an act. I really want to see how the crowd is going to react. It's like Christmas to me. I'm just trying to think of cool things to do. Here's what I've come up with.

Talk to the audience before you start playing. It will get you and the crowd pumped and more comfortable. It will make everything laid back like a party. Also a lot of moving around. Looking at sexy people to get their attention. See if you can get their number after the show. Play songs that get the crowd pumped. Songs that everyone knows and can jump/dance to. Blitzkrieg Bop by the ramones, I Love Rock n' Roll, We Will Rock You, Are You Gonna Be My Girl-Jet. With the guitar hero games out, this is much easier because people will know alot of cool songs. Stuff like that.

ChasingInfinity
07-02-2007, 03:11 AM
My first show was in front of about 300 people and I dominated ass. Just have fun. I was a little worried, but the second you hear hundreds of screams for you, you relax.. or at least I did.

wmzbomgzors
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
xanax
bad idea :D .

I think he wants to remember his first gig. Plus a lot of people can't play on drugs because they don't practice on drugs. In one of my first couple gigs I made the mistake of taking shrooms about 5 minutes before I went on stage (I had already been smoking for a couple hours). Playing the guitar was pretty challenging because I had never played with a band while trippin shrooms (that and the fact that the fretboard kept moving :D ). I've heard recordings of the performance and I guess it turned out better than I thought it would, so this entire rant was pointless.

psilocyndreams2
07-03-2007, 10:11 PM
as long as you have the material down you shouldn't worry. i played a while back when i had only played for about a year, but had the song nailed and i had no problem. just a week ago, we were practicing and my friend (the other guitarist) says we need to add a better solo to spice it up, but the problem was that we were playing in like 3 hours so had like an hour to get it down. it didn't go very well. oh well.

paulblestde
07-04-2007, 07:00 AM
you just have to grit your teethand do it... singing is hardest

oh man, you know exactly what you're talking about.

I recorded an EP a week before my first show, which was a benefit about twenty miles away in PA last August. I opened for a pretty big local band and the biggest local band (they have a distribution deal with Victory Records through their label), and a bunch of other bands I'd been listening to for a few years. We had emo and indie rock bands from as far away as Long Island (this was near the Delaware/PA border) playing, so needless to say it was tough. Anyway, I recorded this CD, was playing the songs over and over at my little merch table where I was giving a CD to anyone who would take it. About a half hour before I go up there, I start thinking to myself, "wow, these songs suck. I can't play this."

I had a notebook with me and on that I wrote down basic lyric themes for two songs and played those two songs along with two covers (On the Bus Mall by the Decemberists, and Stations by Denison Witmer), and ended my set with an extremely crappy cover of "Wish You Were Here".

All in all, I was terrified. After that I quit playing music for about three months, then my friend got me back into it. I'm playing mostly cafes now, but last week I played in front of six of my friends and I just couldn't sing. It's so hard to sing when people you know are there, staring at you. Haha, it's the weirdest expierience.

Whatever the case may be, I have a show on July 24th near the University of Delaware where I NEED to sing, so right now I'm in the process of playing my songs well enough and often enough that I won't forget them on stage. That, right there, is my greatest fear.

Gillespie
07-04-2007, 02:47 PM
My first concert was in front of about 400 people. I had no style (didn't know any moves and couldn't look up and play at the same time) and I was shaking and sweating. I just got up there and did my thing. I only missed a couple notes, so I did great. Point is, get up there, and FOCUS. If the crowd scares you, look above them. If you get shaky, move around a little bit. Nothing to it.

Americanhoser
07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Go by the balls... you need to think about your guitar and your hands, nothing more.

timeforheroes
07-04-2007, 07:50 PM
think about it this way: there here to see you, and even if there not, you should be able to make it that your all there talkin bout after. when playin for a while, you forget how amazed non-players are at your playin. Go with it!

MSFoSS
07-04-2007, 07:52 PM
no idea, i think it's awesome on stage

shut_up_n00b
07-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Gigging also helps your overall confidence, like I used to be an extremely shy guy but after giging like 4 or 5 times youll just get over it. I just headbang and jump around alot. JUst forget aboutn the crowd and have a good time with your band.

Mikeizzle
07-10-2007, 01:33 AM
if you have fun while doing it, it shouldn't really be a problem.

Spazz128735
07-10-2007, 08:25 PM
don't look directly at any member of the audience. that's just a general theater tip. Look either a little above the back row, or inbetween the faces. It's kind of uncomfortable for both parties to make eye contact when you're performing. If you look between or above them, they think you're looking at someone else.

watch a lot of live footage of everyone and everything, and picture yourself up there. You may actually get nervous just picturing it... but just do that all the time, constantly, and the nerves just get bored of showing up eventually.

practice as you plan on performing. rocking out during practice is more fun anyways.

if you have to sing/front - sing into your hairbrush like a little girl or something. talk into the mirror. lay in your bed going through what you're going to say to the crowd. Craft yourself in your imagination as the most badass, charismatic, sly, charming son of a gun ever. Get the perfect smirk going, flip your hair perfectly, learn to do crazy eyes really well. The first step in being a badass is feeling like a badass.

I feel awesome when I'm in awesome clothes. Some people will say that's pretentious...but whatever, buy new clothes or something.

best tip- walk around the stage, or wherever you're going to be playing, a lot. I don't really know why this helps.

Taydr
07-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Take a shot or two of the hardest shit that ya got in your liquor cabinet, get a friend to slap you in the face, get pumped up and channel your feelings into your performance.

And check out this article on performing, its humorous but has some helpful advice:
On-stage antics, tips and suggestions (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/on-stage_antics_tips_and_suggestions.html)

jpgilbert701
08-14-2007, 11:08 PM
yea my first gig was in front of about 100 people. before i was up there i was nervous and shaking. then i got sleepy. once i got up there though and we started the first song i was feeling fine but i was sweating cause of the lights and all the people that were there in such a small place.

WeAreTheNormal
08-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Once you get on, and start your first song, your not nervous anymore. Because playing the music is what you do. We just played our first gig for about 200 people (battle of the bands) and I had to sing and in the song i wasn't nervous at all (there was about 2 hours hanging around the venue scared out of my mind) I ended up playing the opening song's solo behind my head. Btw i do guitar/vocals lol

trueguitarhero
08-17-2007, 04:53 PM
dont talk to the crowd before the first song. just play it, and that should help with the nerves.

nirvana23freak
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
being on stage is really fun
my first time on stage was a rock camp, i wont go into detail, but it was fun, i was nervous but i got over it and played fine.
ive been on 2 more trimes since one infront of my whole school, but i didnt even get worried about it, and the next time i played drums and i hated the music so it sucked, but i wasn t nervous, and the last time was the first time i sang, so i was a little nervous, but i was still fine....

Its really fun to play live

mustaine34
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I would drink but I'm underage (****) When I'm about to go onstage any where, I just play guitar and zone out and ignore the fact that I'm performing in front of people. It usually works.

af_the_fragile
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
DO it a lot...

Practice more in front of people...
Like even when you're just jamming with yer band, have a few people there and like play to them...

Then as you keep doing more gigs, you'll slowly get used to it all and get rid of the stage fright...

For me, i've been on the stage from an early age in school plays and all. They always used to take me in so i'm quite used to the stage and performing in front of an audience. And i've got a pretty good stage presence.

But i still messed up my first music performance cuz well... Though i still maintained a good stage presence and cracked a few jokes to keep the audience entertained.. i was really under prepared! I was only playing guitar for 6months and i had just two weeks to learn to sing and play the song. Never had done it before. But then i was only nervous for the first 3-5mins.
I just had to play the guitar on the 2nd song and i did that pretty good...

So yeah, like.. i never really had stage fright but i guess it should be gone as you do more and more gigs.
You just need to have confidence in youself that you can do it!! :)