What should I pick?

PDA

View Full Version : What should I pick?

The_Paranoia
06-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I am in a band already. We have a small fan base in my area. However we hardly ever get to practice. We normally practice in my drummers basement. If we practice some place else he refuses to move his drum set. No one else in the band has a drum set. So those practices aren't very helpful without a drummer. Our old singer had a very nice Pearl drum set. But hes not in the band anymore so we can't use his.

My drummer has to get permission for his mom for our band to use his house. Were only 14 so we can't get our own practice space. He is afraid of his mom so he never asks.

I love my band. All the songs we've written I love. But, the fact we never get to practice is really annoying. Also, as much as I love the music we write, I want to write more emotional songs but my band says anything with emotion is emo so that wont be happening anytime soon.

So what I'm asking is, should I find another band to play with when my current band isn't playing? All the guys in my band are my best friends so I don't want them to get mad at me for "leaving."

lolmnt
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
you could find another band or do a solo thing. i hate how if you write songs that are emotional people say that they're emo

The_Paranoia
06-17-2007, 08:12 PM
you could find another band or do a solo thing. i hate how if you write songs that are emotional people say that they're emo
I wrote "Bed Of Thorns" in one song and was called emo for the next month by the guys. They even wrote a song that made fun of it. It was funny, but mean. They don't write songs for the band so they don't know that when you write a song and you put emotion and feeling into it, the song means a lot to you.

SilverStratocas
06-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Shows that your bandmates are stereotypical 14 year old kids trying to find themselves, so they are flaming your music.

Tell them to shove it up their own ass, and write what YOU feel like writing. If people are holding you back, then gtfo.

What kind of music do you / your band play? This might make a better lead.

The_Paranoia
06-17-2007, 10:16 PM
My band...what music do we play? We really don't have a set type of music. We play what ever fits the lyrics, or what ever fits the music.

I myself like playing music, like i said, with emotion in it. I don't like real emo music. But I like MCR and band like them. They laughed at me when I said Hawthorne Heights wasn't that bad because their lyrics are OK in some songs.

I was just talking to my drummer about our band needing a PA. That is the only thing holding us back from playing live. He and our singer have summer jobs but refuse to chip in for a PA. Even after our singer had to bu a new guitar he still wants to put in money. The drummer really is a greedy jerk who dosen't spend money on anything other then s**t he dosen't need for his drum.

SilverStratocas
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
^^

Most venues have a house PA, so you could play Battle of the bands/underlining bigger bands/etc.

The_Paranoia
06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
^^

Most venues have a house PA, so you could play Battle of the bands/underlining bigger bands/etc.

Were only 14. No one would let us play in bars or places like that. We normally play shows with us and 2 other bands. My old singer has a PA so we play with his band. Really the other band is the best, so they are like the headliner, then us, and my old singers band. We have been invited to play block parties, birthday parties, other parties, etc. and want our own PA to use.

So I think I'm going to look into starting another band with my friend who plays drums. Him and I like the same music and have talked about a band before so maybe it will work.

lolmnt
06-18-2007, 12:04 AM
So I think I'm going to look into starting another band with my friend who plays drums. Him and I like the same music and have talked about a band before so maybe it will work.

do it. you should play what you want to and should not be made fun of for doing it.