Modding Metal Zone?

PDA

View Full Version : Modding Metal Zone?

H1ghGa1n
06-19-2007, 01:57 AM
I was wondering if theres a good cheap mod for the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal to make it sound decent, or any mods I could attempt my self that could make it sound better. If not... I was wondering if a Peavey Valve King 212 or 112 would work for metal? I'm really just looking for the most cost effective solution here. If the mods for the pedal are more than $100 usd then I'm probably not going to bother with them... I'd probably end up saving for that Valve King if it could work for metal.

Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Kid_Thorazine
06-19-2007, 02:04 AM
I tried to mod an MT-2, but I was attacked by the swarm of Africanized honey bees living inside (they are what it used to make the distortion sound)

try the gear building and customizing forum. everyone here will probably tell you to sell it and get something better.

Holy Katana
06-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Doesn't Robert Keeley do a Metal Zone mod? His site is www.robertkeeley.com.

EDIT: I found out that he does. It's called the Twighlight Zone mod, and it's only $75 if you send him your pedal. Robert Keeley mods pedals for Vai, John Petrucci, John Mayer, Peter Frampton, and a bunch of other guys. Check out the sound clips on that particular page to see if you like how it sounds. I was pretty impressed.

Edamr
06-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Or you could just learn how to use the settings correctly and it'll sound fine.

TheEsupremacy
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Learn how to use the settings correctly to make the MT-2 sound like a Keeley mod?
Gosh, you're so smart. I would have NEVER thought of messing with the settings.
Thanks for your WONDERFUL advice. Assclown.

moody07747
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
this site has some books to download for a cheap price which i got, there are mods for the Boss MT-2 pedal

http://www.indyguitarist.com/

looking at my book now theres theh following mods to do:

"Mt-2 "Dieznerr" mod"
"Mt-2 "JMC-bookie" mod"
"Keeley mt-2 mod"

once you get a hold of the parts and know how to solder well its easy to do these mods...well it is IMO but im great at electronic work.

fireman464
06-19-2007, 11:06 AM
In response to the Valveking question, I have the 100 watt head and I'd say no. It just doesn't have the gain without a pedal. Demo one and see what you think.

Jahsoul
06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I know a good mod. You have to get a blunt object and then thrust it upon the pedal repeatedly. Eventually it'll break into several pieces. Once this happens the pedal really shines.

I played the Valve King 2x12 yesterday. The Clean is really beautiful, but the Dirty channel was awful sounding. I'd probably just get a boost pedal and overdrive the clean.

I'm not sure what to recommend though instead.

Don_Humpador
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Learn how to use the settings correctly to make the MT-2 sound like a Keeley mod?
Gosh, you're so smart. I would have NEVER thought of messing with the settings.
Thanks for your WONDERFUL advice. Assclown.

By "settings" he means "off". :)

But seriously, it's not worth $75 to send it to Keeley. You'd be better off selling it on eBay to some 11 year old kid "Omg metal pedal! woweeee! mom get me one!!", then using that money + $75 to buy something much nicer, and worthwhile.

Jahsoul
06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Correct

zippidyduda
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Sell that peice of crap, take your life savings and use that to buy a Boss GT-8 effects processor :)

Thats the only way to go

forsaknazrael
06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Link doesn't work right now, but I think the server is down.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=38836.0

Yngwi3
06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
i find the best tools are a hammer and chisel...

ICANSEEYOU7687
06-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Just wanted to give this thread a bump, im interested in this too

also found this
http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

has some cool mods...but I dunno if id pay 20$ for them, who knows maybe it would be worth it

H1ghGa1n
06-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm not much of a do it your self kinda guy with a lot of electronic things, but if i decide to mod this thing my self I'll probably take it to the gear building and customizing section. The Keeley mod doesn't look all that bad though and the sound samples sound good. In regards to using the settings correctly on the pedal... I've found some decent settings, but I want some GREAT sounds not just something to get me by, because it just bugs me how much better my tone could be from what it is now. I must say the pedal does sound A LOT nicer stock through a tube amp than an SS. Well keep ideas coming... the more thoughts on the situation the better.