Punk/Metal Band question.

PDA

View Full Version : Punk/Metal Band question.

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
im trying out for one in 2 weeks.

i know the thing everyone makes fun of punk bands. the little 4 count riffs they have.

but my question is what should i learn to impress them.

here is what i know-
double hand harmonic tapping
right hand tapping
some sweeping
fast picking
Riffs with feelings

bobsyouraunt
06-19-2007, 11:45 AM
punk...metal....punk....metal....?

strange, since punk is down to basics music with an 'anyone can do it' attitude...and metal is technically challenging and not everyone can do it, or atleast not without practice.

hmmm, me cant see how this mixes.

rage6945
06-19-2007, 11:48 AM
im trying out for one in 2 weeks.

i know the thing everyone makes fun of punk bands. the little 4 count riffs they have.

but my question is what should i learn to impress them.

here is what i know-
double hand harmonic tapping
right hand tapping
some sweeping
fast picking
Riffs with feelings

i dont get why people try to make a list and learn things like that. you should forget that stuff and learn theory, thats ten time more important than tapping and sweeping

PunkAsPhuck
06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Just get a good riff and rock out
show some speed and show them you have more guitar knowledge than them
just show your stuff
and rock out

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 11:53 AM
just show your stuff
and rock out
will do that. thanks.

here is some of the influence the band likes-

MISFITS,KEEL,CHOP TOPS,SAMHAIN,STRAY CATS,LOWER CLASS BRATS,LAMB OF GOD,STRYPER,SLAYER,JUDAS PRIEST,DANZIG,KISS,OZZY,BLACK SABBATH,AC/DC,LED ZEP,TWISTED SISTER,IRON MAIDEN,ACCEPT,DIO,VAN HALEN,CHEAP SEX,SOCIAL DISTORTION,THREE BAD JACKS.

Styx
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
just show your stuff
and rock out

yeah!! i'm not punk i like more the metal thing, but rock isn't about what other people like or to impress other people is about what you wanna do, theres always gonna be people that like what you play and some that don't. Go out there and do what you feel ...

z4twenny
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
i dont get why people try to make a list and learn things like that. you should forget that stuff and learn theory, thats ten time more important than tapping and sweeping

knowledge without technique is great for WRITING, awful for PLAYING...... that being said, if the threadposter is going to a punk audition, really all you need to do is know a couple scales and be able to stay in time and you should be fine. if you can play some simple leads. just make the song sound better and add to it, be it simple or complex. in a punk band they just want the song to sound as good as it can, if you can bring some good melodies to the table then you're a shoe in.

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 11:57 AM
knowledge without technique is great for WRITING, awful for PLAYING...... that being said, if the threadposter is going to a punk audition, really all you need to do is know a couple scales and be able to stay in time and you should be fine. if you can play some simple leads. just make the song sound better and add to it, be it simple or complex. in a punk band they just want the song to sound as good as it can, if you can bring some good melodies to the table then you're a shoe in.

thanks dude. yea the timing is no problem for me because i been a rythem guitar player for a year. so the timing is no problem. i just wanna move up the scale to lead and have fun.

z4twenny
06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
^ yeah just do that, if you can improv a nice lead, nothing excessively flashy (generally, but if you can do flashy and make it sound good then go for it) then you should be all good.

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
^ yeah just do that, if you can improv a nice lead, nothing excessively flashy (generally, but if you can do flashy and make it sound good then go for it) then you should be all good.

okay thanks.
thank you all. this will help me in the next 2 weeks to figure out some cool punk music.

another question is-

what are some good punk bands?

z4twenny
06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
^ well "good" is all a matter of opinion..... personally i like the early 80's hard punk/metal type stuff and the 70's bands like the ramones and sex pistol. dead kennedys are good, black flag (i think they're considered punk) misfits (again i think they're considered punk, at least they were when i was a kid) stuff like that. thats just me though, check out a lot of stuff and pick what you like. most modern day punk is really pop punk greenday/blink 182 type stuff. maybe find out what kind of sound they're aiming for and see what you can do to compliment that sound. ooh, lol, one fairly current band that i dig is "rise against"

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
^ okay thanks that just opened me up to more music.

z4twenny
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
a friend of mine mentioned a few more: social distortion, hatebreed, rancid, dropkick murphys, bad religion

all great punk bands.

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
i alwyas looked at hatebreed a metal band. never knew they played punk.

z4twenny
06-19-2007, 12:26 PM
depends on how you look at it, kinda hardcore punk, its a mish mash of the 2 really. like early 80's metallica and megadeth were punk and metal inspired.

floyd matt
06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
i love megadeth. good band. i love hanger 18. best song i think they ever made. but its kinda to long lol.

felixdcat
06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Shredding is nice, fun, impressive. (I'm not saying this because I can't do it). But I'd like to be able to make music, not shred, because, I guess I'd sound stupid running scales up and down with loads of speed. I'm not really interested in it, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, learn that after you got your music down.

suicideangel_2
06-19-2007, 06:28 PM

well to good tapping and sweeping you need theory otherwise it will sound like shitty noise and not triads or chords etc

Slipping_Away
06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
punk...metal....punk....metal....?

strange, since punk is down to basics music with an 'anyone can do it' attitude...and metal is technically challenging and not everyone can do it, or atleast not without practice.

hmmm, me cant see how this mixes.

Listen to 5 or 10 Sum 41 songs, if you listen to the right ones, you'll get the idea. ;)

lolmnt
06-20-2007, 02:48 AM
^ well "good" is all a matter of opinion..... personally i like the early 80's hard punk/metal type stuff and the 70's bands like the ramones and sex pistol. dead kennedys are good, black flag (i think they're considered punk) misfits (again i think they're considered punk, at least they were when i was a kid) stuff like that. thats just me though, check out a lot of stuff and pick what you like. most modern day punk is really pop punk greenday/blink 182 type stuff. maybe find out what kind of sound they're aiming for and see what you can do to compliment that sound. ooh, lol, one fairly current band that i dig is "rise against"

Nice list and i saw Rise Against tonight. I want to add against me, buzzcocks,strike anywhere, rancid, jawbreaker, the clash, sum41, all time low(more pop punk), and offspring.

SuperBlob
06-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Punk bands - New York Dolls, MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers. They're some of the main ones.

Dozza
06-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Punk doesn't have to be completely basic... since I think it's come to mean just doing your own thing. Plus... you can draw more connections between Metallica and Discharge (a hardcore punk band), than Metallica and Led Zeppelin (what was originally called metal), so it's arguable that modern metal came from punk anyway. If it wasn't for 80's fast hardcore punk, metal would probably still be the tight clothes and wailing high pitched voices. Slayer are often classed as hardcore punk aswell.

Just thought I'd make that known, incase nobody else has.

METSOAD
06-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Listen to 5 or 10 Sum 41 songs, if you listen to the right ones, you'll get the idea. ;)

such as the Bitter End, Machine Gun, 88, Grab the Devil by the Horns, any Pain for Pleasure spoofs and such like, mainly the stuff off of 'chuck'