Getting Ahead

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ahead

TontoGoneCrazy
06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Okay, so my band has few problems:

1. Recording - Only a select few of our fans came to our first show and saw the two songs we played and that was good and all, but we want everyone to be able to hear our music. My Father's best friend has a recording studio at his home, but it is not a "Home Recording Studio" just a studio that happens to be at his home. I've seen it and it is top-notch. But it would be a while before we could get into it. Should I wait or look into buying something that records that is small and low quality for myself? This might be good because I think it would be nice to make some of my own songs, too... Anyway, we're only 14 and on a tight budget, so what do you think?

2. Live - We need a show and that's in the works and getting one is not a problem, but sound is an issue. All we have is a crappy microphone and my amp. Should I look into getting a PA System? Or would almost all the places I could get a gig have one I could use?

Thank you for any help!

strq010
06-19-2007, 09:43 PM
my advice- play louder than the other bands

Kutanmoogle
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Okay, so my band has few problems:

1. Recording - Only a select few of our fans came to our first show and saw the two songs we played and that was good and all, but we want everyone to be able to hear our music. My Father's best friend has a recording studio at his home, but it is not a "Home Recording Studio" just a studio that happens to be at his home. I've seen it and it is top-notch. But it would be a while before we could get into it. Should I wait or look into buying something that records that is small and low quality for myself? This might be good because I think it would be nice to make some of my own songs, too... Anyway, we're only 14 and on a tight budget, so what do you think?

2. Live - We need a show and that's in the works and getting one is not a problem, but sound is an issue. All we have is a crappy microphone and my amp. Should I look into getting a PA System? Or would almost all the places I could get a gig have one I could use?

Thank you for any help!

Okay, just wait to record at your dad's friend's house.

How much money are you willing to spend? Personally, I'd say to wait it out to record, but if you really want to get recording, it'll depend on your budget.

As far as live shows, almost everywhere you play will have a PA system available.

TontoGoneCrazy
06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I have about 100$ but I will save up definently, so I'm pretty much broke. I was thinking about waiting. I was just thinking of in the long run thinking if I wanted to record stuff on my own if I should do that.

Dutch_Apples
06-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Only a select few of our fans came to our first show

Did anyone else notice anything wrong with that sentence?

I'm not going to lie, your band probably sounds terrible and is going to break up in a few months anyways. I say save another $150 bucks so you have $250 to get a budget interface and a good mic. Then just start making demos. Don't go into a studio and spend a few hundred until your songs are polished and you actually have a good gig schedule.

TontoGoneCrazy
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
It wasn't the sound, it was a school thing and only people from our school could get in. We don't suck THAT bad. We probably still suck, though...

Kutanmoogle
06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
It wasn't the sound, it was a school thing and only people from our school could get in. We don't suck THAT bad. We probably still suck, though...

So practice, jam, get better, and rock the Texas band scene.

That's my attitude anyway.

floyd matt
06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
im kinda in ur situation about recording but do this for live shows-
go find venues like little church places, big venues and such.

my band is trying to get a gig at a charity event and we got it.

we our writting are demo. (or at least i am right now) and we are not polished but we are pretty good i think.

Drkxero13
06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
grapevine???

what about battle of the bands at the door dallas or ftworth that would be a good shot

whats your band anywho i might go see yall

ark
06-22-2007, 04:52 AM
to be honest, itll be a slow climb before you get anything sounding wicked, recording wise and live....just keep at it, make some money, and keep working on your songwriting and playing skills.

for recording, even if you get in the studio, you have to be prepared, going in the studio isnt like playing live. Youll find that your songs dontmake sense, youre arrangments are lacking, and your amp will sound worse in the studio. Get your songs and gear together, and concentrate on practicing for the time being, youre still young! lots to do, and youve got time. Don't rush.

for live shows, youll have to make with what you have. Get your own PA to practice with, and keeeep practicing!!! itll be years before youll be ready to think big. But dont let it get you down, just take it a step at a time. These things take time, and its better to take it then rush it. Just keep practicing! be patient and it will all happen.