Pseudonyms in a metal band

PDA

View Full Version : Pseudonyms in a metal band

SilverStratocas
06-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Okay... my other guitarist in my band is going around telling us we all should have special stage names such as his: Jeremy "Savage". I'm honestly saying nay to this idea, because I feel it's one of the corniest things that could ever be done. I feel that you should just make your REAL name known and not run around with a fake name. To me, using a fake name is just wayyyy too commercialized such as Saul Hudson being Slash, or whatever the guys from A7X's names being Zacky Vengeance and Synyster Gates. Don't get me wrong, I like Slash, and most people TODAY wouldn't know him as well if it wasn't for the name, but I just think false stage names are just goofy unless it's just for a joke, but not for seriously living your name as that.

Opinions?

EDIT: Not to mention, I think the name Jeremy Savage sounds effing retarded, and makes me think of Ben Savage... Yuck.

cados121
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree with you, just go with your real names

Dardarian
06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Go with your real names unless your real name is silly or very hard to pronounce. If you must have a pseudonym, choose a decent one that sounds like it's your real name in stead of a corny joke.

kevinm4435
06-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Which sounds cooler to you, Wrest or Jeff Whitehead? Horgh or Reidar Horghagen? Pseudonyms are fine with me. At least in black metal.

thrash64
06-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Well. My name is Killing Body Death Stab Wound Explosion Satan Face.

But I was named that at birth, so I don't really need a stage name.

Wonthefu
06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
If you don't want to he shouldn't be making you, but if you can think of something really cool sounding I'd say go for it. Unless your real name is fairly unique to begin with.

I go by Ghyt Wembpang, and sometimes by Kainzow Normac.

DevilMayCare
06-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Generally unless the nickname is your everyday nickname I wouldn't bother coming up with pseudonyms. But I do take the earlier points that sometimes they have their place, but if you don't want to do it, just don't, easy as.

The first thing I actually thought of when I saw Jeremy Savage was Lily Savage.....:S

z4twenny
06-21-2007, 05:52 PM
lol, i used to just use fake relatively obscure names from tv shows ala "rusty shackleford" or "roy hinkley" stuff like that. maybe JUST go with your first names, never give out the last names. james, kirk, lars and cliff....

jthm_guitarist
06-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Use one if you want, but don't promote it or get mad if people use your real name. And don't try to keep your real name a secret.

Gvictor
06-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Stage names are fine if you think your own name doesn't quite have a ring to it (a la Robert Zimmerman). Nicknames are fine as long as they're actual nicknames, and tounge-in-cheek. "Zacky Vengeance" is a fine example of how not to do it.

alienboy18241
06-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Off topic, but I just found out I have a stage name.

damien guitar
06-24-2007, 02:56 PM
haqving a stage name might help get you in the zone ,
when you are playing on stage you are living your dream , so why not have your dream name , if you dont think of one in time other people will do it for you ....!

hurlyz
06-24-2007, 03:39 PM
And don't try to keep your real name a secret.Buckethead :)

But seriously, nicknames can be cool if it's not too exagerated... Dimebag is cool... although her mom didn't give him that name! Same thing for Slash or whoever!

Wildchild... well, I'd rather call him Alexi Laiho! :p: (or simply Laiho)

maybe JUST go with your first names, never give out the last names. james, kirk, lars and cliff....you like Metallica heh? :)

News: Cliff is dead... Robert took his place ;)

lolmnt
06-24-2007, 04:41 PM
if hes gunna go by a pseudonym, tell him not to go by Jeremy Savage. Jerry Savage would be better. I dont really care if a band goes by pseudonyms

hurlyz
06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I dont really care if a band goes by pseudonymsThat's true... As long as the music is good and pseudonyms aren't TOO ridiculous... *CoughGWARcough*.. it's okay! :)

ep1kz
06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
i think it can only be pulled off if the name doesnt sound ridiculous

examples of good ones: Jello Biafra (dude from dead kennedys), slash (i think that ones pretty cool), buckethead (hes just plain badass)

examples of bad ones: the entire avenged sevenfold band, izzy stradlin (gnr), jeremy savage

Zen5887
06-26-2007, 04:25 AM
I think stage names can be kinda fun.

I wouldnt use em tho.. People allready know me.

*Onstage* "And on bass.. Mr. Richard November!"
*From the croud* "His names Lachlan fag!"

Could end badly.

But if your willing to poke a bit of fun at yourself it should be okay..So im not sure how far it would go in a metal band

CAPTAINAMAZING
06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I do it just to goof around....my "stage name" is Captain Amazing........ Everybody who comes to our shows knows my real name (we are extremely local) but its just fun to use pseudonyms.

EZLN libertad
06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
zomg lawlz synyster gatezzzz

yeah dont do it. Unless you're black metal

boomer_9
06-30-2007, 12:05 AM
only do it if ur black metal or nu-metal or wear some kind of gay mask thing

Echelon
06-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I think its alright once people get used to it, like Jerry Only, Danzig, Dimebag, Syd Barrett, Flea, Marilyn Manson, etc. All of those are known by their stage name and nothing else. I bet most people on here couldnt give me all of their real names (thats not a challenge btw)
Its just getting used to it and something thats not totally ridiuclous, I think all of those are pretty cool, especially Marilyn Manson because of how it was chosen.

hurlyz
07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
I think all of those are pretty cool, especially Marilyn Manson because of how it was chosen.Tell us! :)

I don't really know how that happened and it looks interesting sooo..... Go Ahead! :D

utahotc
07-02-2007, 02:51 AM
Has anyone seen the Rush in Rio DVD?
Alex Lifeson (motioning towards Neil Peart):"On the skins is my friend, Milton... Banana!"
(looks at Geddy Lee) "And playing the bassis...... that guy from Ipanima (sp?)!"

ChasingInfinity
07-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Lame. I didn't know people got so metal that they needed new names to keep up with their metal-ness.

Alix_D
07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Let him have his name, in my band our guitarist is called Mojo Mower and our drummer is Henry Catman. They started as in-jokes and nicknames though, not specifc stagenames.

eckmann88
07-02-2007, 11:56 AM
The only stage name I ever used was Warren Peace for my old band's keyboardist, and that's only because his mother wouldn't let us use his real name. Keep in mind, this was years ago.

MuffinMan
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Coming up with a stage name for yourself is just lame, in my honest opinion. If everyone calls you by a nickname already, by all means use that. But don't go out of your way to think of an "awesome" name for yourself, especially if you end up with something like Jeremy Savage..

warlockking
07-03-2007, 12:13 AM
if he wants to use one let him. but tell him if you don't want to you won't. if you do use one, make it something ppl call you for a nickname like Ozzy did. don't just make one up for the sake of having one.