I need some help with a starting band.

PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with a starting band.

hepzibahbaptist
06-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Ok, our band is like 3 months old. We still haven written a song yet. We just started to write. We've been playing covers and stuff. Do you think we're behind?
And, everyone else in our band is skinny except me, I think it gives a not so cool image. What do yall think?
ME! (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1061/sexysoupyjv8.jpg)

/Qwertytrewq\
06-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Ok, our band is like 3 months old. We still haven written a song yet. We just started to write. We've been playing covers and stuff. Do you think we're behind?
And, everyone else in our band is skinny except me, I think it gives a not so cool image. What do yall think?
Soupy! (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1061/sexysoupyjv8.jpg)
youre not behind
some bands never write their own stuff
just go at your own pace

killzy
06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I've been playing with these guys for about a month, and we have written any lyrics, but have a couple close-to-done songs.

MikeLoveFender
06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
ide say that if you arnt playing covers good quit and get serious in a new band thats what i did and since i was the only good player in the band i looked on the myspace and it said band disbanded.

hepzibahbaptist
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
youre not behind
some bands never write their own stuff
just go at your own pace
K, thanks man. What about the second part. Do you think I give the band a bad image?

Dutch_Apples
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
How are you considered fat?

I've only once been in a band where someone got fired for having a bad image. This guy was about 275lbs (but had muscle), had very poor personal hygiene, dressed in old clothes, and generally didn't look like he belonged in a band. That was not the only reason he got fired, but it was about 25% of the decision.

hepzibahbaptist
06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
How are you considered fat?

I've only once been in a band where someone got fired for having a bad image. This guy was about 275lbs (but had muscle), had very poor personal hygiene, dressed in old clothes, and generally didn't look like he belonged in a band. That was not the only reason he got fired, but it was about 25% of the decision.
Well, I'm just a bit heftier than the rest of my band. They're like all skinny and stuff. I'm not.

I_Pwn
06-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Soupy! (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1061/sexysoupyjv8.jpg)

You can't force the song-writing process, you just gotta roll with it.

I don't think you being bigger than everyone else really matters that much. People will like you for your music, not how you look on stage.

Black Star
06-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, I'm just a bit heftier than the rest of my band. They're like all skinny and stuff. I'm not.

:eek:

Are they all anorexic?

hepzibahbaptist
06-22-2007, 01:24 AM
:eek:

Are they all anorexic?
No, why?

Drmckool
06-22-2007, 01:58 AM
my old band was 1 fat guy (frontman/guitarist), 1 over-weight guy (lead-guitar), a really short and muscular drummer and me an average weight person (bass). weight doesn't matter

.fallen
06-22-2007, 02:03 AM
you have to develop as a band, the songs can wait til later.

if you think youre fat then wear a trenchcoat xDDDDD

Blink_Freak3
06-22-2007, 08:03 AM
its okay, my band has been around for 2 and a half months, and we have 4-5 originals, i think bands work at their own pace. Our band is filled with experienced musicans and experienced writers, if your covers sound good stay, if not drop out and get some other musicans. and about the weight thing. My band has a dude whos 16 and has a full grown beard, me im tall and really skinny, and then our bassist is short and skinny so we are all diffrent. and image isnt really that important. atleast i dont think so.

Americanhoser
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
There needs to be a fat guy, a healthy band has one fat guy all the members can make fun of when they have arguments that may normally destroy the band.

EDIT: Ok, it doesn't hurt the image at all, unless your gonna be a no-shirt live band. Just don't be the ensiferum bassist, wear a shirt if you think the crowd would not enjoy seeing you half naked.

hepzibahbaptist
06-25-2007, 08:24 PM
There needs to be a fat guy, a healthy band has one fat guy all the members can make fun of when they have arguments that may normally destroy the band.
That doesnt help.

Mr.Cuddles
06-25-2007, 09:56 PM
serously dude, as long as your a good bassist no one will care.
jus wear clothing that makes you look skinnier.
if your friends dont like you cauee your fat they aint very good friends lol

TMAW
06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
If your band cares about how you look, then they are not paying attention fully to what you bring musically which is not good.

My band has been going for almost a year now and we still play a mix of covers and originals (of which we have only got 5)

Dozza
06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
If that picture is of you in your first post... then you're not fat anyway so.

In my band... most of the members look really geeky (and are really geeky) besides me. Image can count, but weight can be made up for in other ways, like clothing and stuff.

CAPTAINAMAZING
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
it took my band like 5 months before one original....then another 1 before our second....then a few weeks and we've been belting several out. the only problem for my band was it took a while for me to find my lyrical nitche. Once everyone gets used to songwriting it usually just comes out. Plus covers are great...

hepzibahbaptist
06-27-2007, 12:07 AM
serously dude, as long as your a good bassist no one will care.
jus wear clothing that makes you look skinnier.
if your friends dont like you cauee your fat they aint very good friends lol
I play guitar. Thanks for the comments everyone.

ElectricSledge
06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
i can't see how you're fat...(the pose is a bit queer tho), people shouldn't care about image...if some geek was laying down some awesome grooves i'd be all over it.

also, you can't rush the songwriting process...its better to have one good song created in a few months of effort, than 10 songs created in a week that just suck and took no effort whatsoever. and mostly importantly...just have fun with it.