Problem with band member

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with band member

Bart-kun
06-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Not sure where to put this so forgive me...

Uhh OK. I'm in a band, we're pretty new and we're just doin covers so far. Our vocalist is just a pain in the neck. Me (bassist), the drummer and the guitarist always take all the trouble to learn a song we all like, the next day the vocalist goes "Nah I don't want to do that song, I'll sound like a cow." It's really frustratin, cos I spend hours perfecting a song and she just calls the whole thing off.

I mean I put up with it for a few days, after all she is a teenage girl who idolizes the pop junk that's around today. But it gets really annoying. She only wants to do Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence and stuff like that. I mean our lead guitar, who's a girl, doesn't mind doing whatever. The vocalist is just picky and she's the only picky person in the band.

I wanted her out, but our lead guitarist didn't since they're close friends. The drummer doesn't care. I'm almost to the point where I just want to scream to the others "It's her or me"

So yeah, I'm kinda stuck. Should I stay, should I go, or do I just need to have a talk with her?

xPURGATORYx
06-24-2007, 03:22 AM
sounds like you are being a little picky too...
id have a talk with her though

HeavenlyVirus
06-24-2007, 03:22 AM
No offense to any girls on UG, but girls should stick to pop IMO.

Bart-kun
06-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Huh? How am I picky? I don't mind doing the stuff she wants to do. Just that she wants to do her stuff and her stuff only.

And thanks for the input. Although she's really stubborn and won't listen to me when I talk to her. The only person she listens to is the lead guitarist.

/Dragon|Force\
06-24-2007, 03:26 AM
You should talk, but kicking someone out of a band is a good way to lose friends...if she is your friend.

HeavenlyVirus
06-24-2007, 03:26 AM
make a compromise. do a cover of "Skater boy" or something, then do "the Trooper"

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!

sorry....:(

/Dragon|Force\
06-24-2007, 03:27 AM
well, talk through the guitarist. tell the guitarist to tell the singer to get her sh*t together

markisouvlaki
06-24-2007, 03:28 AM
You could try doing a song she likes? it sounds like at the moment she isn't very interested in what you're playing?

Bart-kun
06-24-2007, 03:30 AM
She is my friend...just that we're not that close.

No one in the band wants to do Maiden, or any metal...I suggested Metallica...everyone said no except the drummer. The drummer's the cool dude in ther band, hehe.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

You could try doing a song she likes? it sounds like at the moment she isn't very interested in what you're playing?

I learned an Avril song and Nickelback just to make her happy. How does she repay us? By refusing to sing Green Day.

HeavenlyVirus
06-24-2007, 03:32 AM
no metal? dude, quit the band...the only place it's gonna go is nowhere.

Bart-kun
06-24-2007, 03:35 AM
no metal? dude, quit the band...the only place it's gonna go is nowhere.

Unfortunately. But I can only do a handful of Metallica and Maiden and stuff...so a metal band most likely won't want me. I need to develop the skills before I go off and join a better band.

/Dragon|Force\
06-24-2007, 03:41 AM
I'd say just practice (with this band or without a band) and then either continue with this band or join a new one

Bart-kun
06-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Yea, but the problem is there's not alot of bands where I live...and I won't be able to join a decent band til next year when I move on to secondary school...but the band thing helps me develop my skills...hehe

ibanezguitars44
06-24-2007, 03:50 AM
write songs. bring all of your individual styles together. it could be like poppy-hard rock/metal

/Dragon|Force\
06-24-2007, 03:51 AM
write songs. bring all of your individual styles together. it could be like poppy-hard rock/metal

good idea

Bart-kun
06-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Yea today at practice we started talkin about starting to write songs so that the vocalist doesn't complain as much. Heheh thanks for the input guys

ark
06-24-2007, 05:49 AM
No offense to any girls on UG, but girls should stick to pop IMO.

mmm...the distillers!

also, no offense but women should be able to do what they want, just cause not many step up and show it publically, doesnt mean they should stick to what theyre "good" at...im not saying they'll be the bomb at everything else too, sometimes people just suck...but lets not talk like youre god.

anyway, being picky isnt always a bad thing...it can lead to more trouble...but it sounds like the whole band doesnt really have goals. You need to get together with the band and discuss your goals and what/where you want to be.

Lendorav
06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
The vocalist doesn't own the band. When you all agree to learn a specific song then she better learn it too. The next time she screws your over like that, just say 'well suck it up, we all agreed to do the song and learned our parts and you are sure as hell going to learn yours'.

A good idea to do is that everybody in the band picks one song to cover. Everybody will be happy that way. But if you want to do a Metallica song and she says 'eeww, let's better do a Kelly Clarkson song' then I can't understand what she is doing in your band.

Dunjma
06-24-2007, 06:18 PM
i dont like the idea of having a singer who doesnt play an instrument simply because they usually have little or no idea about music. does she play an instrument or is she simply ur singer? if she is just a singer i would tell her to suck it up as everyone else has a harder job than her. imo anyway.

HeavenlyVirus
06-24-2007, 10:50 PM

been done, check my sig

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Our vocalist is also our rhythm guitarist. And she also complains about chords to our lead guitarist.

Today she made me pretty mad. Our teacher asked us if we wanted to play at this week's assembly to the whole school. Of course we all agreed to do a song we all knew very well. (Welcome to my Life by Simple Plan. Don't ask.) She said, "I don't think we practiced enough" when she's the one who didn't show up for practice yesterday. And then she had to say, "Can we do My Happy Ending by Avril?". No one else in the band knew that song except for me and her. And that's a song we haven't practiced together.

But if you want to do a Metallica song and she says 'eeww, let's better do a Kelly Clarkson song' then I can't understand what she is doing in your band.

She's got a good singing voice. For pop songs and stuff. And she sings for the school choir too. Just that she complains A LOT.

FubuDubu
06-25-2007, 02:13 AM
wow, if you haven't killed her yet your patient. I'd be so pissed off. I don't know, get the show over with, then talk to your band ( except her ) about getting a new vocalist.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 02:16 AM
I have. The drummer doesn't mind. The lead guitarist is sitting on the fence...cos they're close friends but we all are kinda realizing her annoyingness...I mean she's blowing off the chance for the whole school to know our band...

ElectricMammal
06-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Not sure where to put this so forgive me...

But it gets really annoying. She only wants to do Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence and stuff like that.

That should be enough of a sign to kick her out. If she likes any of those "bands" she should sing a kelly clarkson song for your school talent show instead of sing for you guys.

Plus, she isnt cooperating. Find a new singer.

Im suprised you guys actually play that kind of music because she wants to.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 02:26 AM
That should be enough of a sign to kick her out. If she likes any of those "bands" she should sing a kelly clarkson song for your school talent show instead of sing for you guys.

Plus, she isnt cooperating. Find a new singer.

Im suprised you guys actually play that kind of music because she wants to.

Eh. We're a considerate bunch.

I know we have to find a new vocalist, but if I force her out, the lead guitarist would probably end up leaving too cos they're friends...plus she might hold a grudge against the band.

FubuDubu
06-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Just do the whole team vote thing. Get the band in a room and be like " who votes for Welcome To MY Life " then say who votes for Avril ", then turn to her and be like sorry majority rules.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Hahah yea we try to do that...then she gets all b****y about it. Drives me mad.

FubuDubu
06-25-2007, 02:34 AM
My last idea. Is start playing a song whenever, and pretend to fall, and have your guitar hit her in the head, then accidentaly step on her face as she's on the ground, and then be in so much shock, you drop the guitar on her head. I mean that's all I can think off the top of my head.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 02:37 AM
I lol'd. That made my day after she whinged to me all day today.

FubuDubu
06-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Glad I could help :P, anyways but if you do do that, make sure you find a safe house. Anyways I'm going to sleep, good luck man.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks for tha help mate. Heheh.

To everyone else: thanks very much for the input.

Horebane
06-25-2007, 04:14 AM
Um.
The only reason she is in the band is because she is your friend right?

This is a wrong mix of people.
If you like metal, dont go into a pop band.
And vice-versa.

Kind of strange though, is that, you can change people's tastes. If you can do that, then by all means invite that person, friends are ALWAYS easier to work with.
I've changed people's tastes before. One thing you must do is, you must give them a song that is the most accessible for someone who doesn't listen to the genre. Don't give them some song that takes a few listens to get into, it'll turn them off completely.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Reason she's in the band is cos she's one of the best singers our school has. Never knew she was...annoyin.

Yea thanks for the advice...I got the vocalist to listen to Master of Puppets once...the moment James Hetfield said "End of passion play" she was quickly like "No not doin that." And I could understand. Heheh. I am constantly trying to get the band into Metallica and Maiden and stuff, but they wanna do punk rock stuff. Eh I don't really mind at the moment since I'm kinda new to bass but yeah...

Horebane
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Reason she's in the band is cos she's one of the best singers our school has. Never knew she was...annoyin.

Yea thanks for the advice...I got the vocalist to listen to Master of Puppets once...the moment James Hetfield said "End of passion play" she was quickly like "No not doin that." And I could understand. Heheh. I am constantly trying to get the band into Metallica and Maiden and stuff, but they wanna do punk rock stuff. Eh I don't really mind at the moment since I'm kinda new to bass but yeah...

Um.
Well, maybe she is annoying to you.
But sometimes you just have to accept that other people like different kinds of music.

Since you're just in high school, just play with the band for experience. So you know what it's like playing in a band and stuff, doesn't matter what you play.

Sir Edwin CBE
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Could you list the band positions and which gender everyone is? I don't know if this is an all-girl-band or what.

I'd say have a word with the singer, write your own stuff, failing that just practice stuff with the drummer.

Bart-kun
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
OK here are the positions and genders:

Vocalist/Rhythm Guitarist: Female
Lead Guitarist: Female
Bassist (me): Male
Drummer: Male

Had a talk with vocalist today. Told her to suck it up and just learn the songs. She didn't seem offended but I hope she listened to me.

We try to write our own songs...and fail miserably. Hehe.