Can you build a scene?

PDA

View Full Version : Can you build a scene?

Dutch_Apples
06-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but the Pit seems to be filled with a lot of stuff about xBox and food, no music....so I figured this would go here.

Recently, I got into a friendly arguement with an acquitance who owns an internet based promotions website. He claimed that he wants to build a really good music scene in the next 5 years and be responsible for it. I agrued that you can't build a music scene, it just has to be there. Sure you can promote music in your area, but for a really good music scene to exist, there needs to be:

1. People who actually want to see original live bands who aren't just their friends
2. Club owners who love live music
3. Other factors such as press outlets, coverage, oppurtunies, etc.

We are located in a very hard rural area. Many people drive 30-45 minutes to local attractions, there is a college town that recently had several prime music bars close due to losing their liquor license, and there's a popular resort town nearby, however it is only alive during the summer and all these out of state bands get the best gigs.

So what do you guys think, can you create a music scene or does it just have to be there?

Peanut1614
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Of course it's possible to create one, how do you think they get there? Although i'd say that it's usually the work of more than one person or band that will create a scene... Wheter your friendc an create one in a small rural town in a completely different matter!

adambc
06-25-2007, 08:30 PM
i think you can definately set things into motion, but single handedly build a music scene? good luck to your friend, but i don't think he can do it. would love to see how he does though.

there are just too many factors to take care of, most of which cant be controlled by an individual. a scene is build by the whole mob mentality thing. people need to feed off each other. things become popular because everyone simultaneously agreed that it was cool, and no one person can decide when thatll happen.

so i say no, an individual cant build a scene.

though his attempt may be enough to spark the fire

PDMChubby
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
You can build a scene, obviously, how the hell did emo **** get there. You just gotta come up with something different thats not really weird. One person couldn't, but a few bands definitely could start a scene. I doubt that people who build scenes, however, ever had the intention of doing so.

adambc
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
You can build a scene, obviously, how the hell did emo **** get there. You just gotta come up with something different thats not really weird. One person couldn't, but a few bands definitely could start a scene. I doubt that people who build scenes, however, ever had the intention of doing so.

exactly. its not gonna be easy to do it on purpose. scenes just sort of happen. right place right time sort of deal. cant start a scene without people.

yatta
06-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Obviously you can. I did with a few friends (Aka my band). Nobody here really liked music enough to go to any shows. No bands existed beyond a talent show at high school. Nothing really happened. We decided "this is lame" and rented an old hall. You don't need clubs or anything. Just a big empty hall used for shriners and stuff. It cost 50 bucks, and we called up some bigger bands from out of town and paid them to play. Then we completely harrassed the highschool (we live in a small town). We got like 120 kids out to the show. Out of those 120 kids, maybe 20 still come today. Obviously, shows aren't for everybody. But we showed people who otherwise didn't think they'd be into it, that it's amazing. Do this a few times and you've got some regulars and can begin hosting shows. Younger kids began to notice that people looked up to us, we were doing stunningly well, and that it's possible. All of a sudden, a bunch of 14 year olds are starting bands in an area where we were the only band. We're all moving come September, but we've left behind an actual music scene. Our last show in town is in a few weeks and we're teaching some kids how to host shows properly there so they can continue having some music when we leave.

TADA!

adambc
06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Obviously you can. I did with a few friends (Aka my band). Nobody here really liked music enough to go to any shows. No bands existed beyond a talent show at high school. Nothing really happened. We decided "this is lame" and rented an old hall. You don't need clubs or anything. Just a big empty hall used for shriners and stuff. It cost 50 bucks, and we called up some bigger bands from out of town and paid them to play. Then we completely harrassed the highschool (we live in a small town). We got like 120 kids out to the show. Out of those 120 kids, maybe 20 still come today. Obviously, shows aren't for everybody. But we showed people who otherwise didn't think they'd be into it, that it's amazing. Do this a few times and you've got some regulars and can begin hosting shows. Younger kids began to notice that people looked up to us, we were doing stunningly well, and that it's possible. All of a sudden, a bunch of 14 year olds are starting bands in an area where we were the only band. We're all moving come September, but we've left behind an actual music scene. Our last show in town is in a few weeks and we're teaching some kids how to host shows properly there so they can continue having some music when we leave.

TADA!

good **** man, thats awesome. always good to inspire the younger generations. Regardless of how annoying it is to have a bunch of talentless punks running around with guitars on their backs, theres a chance one of those kids will grow up to be a real original talent, and hell, we need a lot more of that these days.

way to go man. hopefully you leave a nice legacy.

I_Pwn
06-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to kick-start an all-ages scene in my area. There used to be a great scene, and shows all the time. It's kind of died down. Right now me and some other guys are putting a bunch of shows together, and eventually more people will start doing it. Soon it will be how it used to be, and it will kick ass.