Managers

PDA

View Full Version : Managers

Zen5887
06-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Some things I wanna ask and say and stuff..

My ex who is doing a management corse at uni asked to manage my band. Im sure she would do a really good job but

- The drummer really doesnt like her
- She can be pretty controling
- The singer doesnt like being told how to sing

To dodge the bullet I said "We dont really need a manager just yet..we're only just starting to get our stuff together."

What im asking is. When is a band 'ready' to have a manager and who is the best person..As I said we're only small and new so we dont need someone who has been to uni for 4 years and is a pro at it.

Also

My guitarist is in a band with some people his own age (12, 13) and I was thinking of managing them. I dont really know what they do appart from book shows..So like..What and how do they do things.

Sorry if I dont make any sence >.>

Thanks dudes

Mr.Cuddles
06-26-2007, 07:02 AM
umm i guess you should try to fing connections in clubs and stuff
um hire the manager girl she proly has a&r contacts(easy record deal) and wait for her to screw up big time if you dont like her.

Dutch_Apples
06-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I'll make this easy for you:

You need a manager when you can no longer advance your career yourself or don't have time for it. You should hire the person you trust with your career.

Also managers are under no obligation to book you gigs, that's an agent's job. I don't know why people don't research.

Kid_Thorazine
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
with smaller groups the manager and agent tend to be the same person, just thought I should throw that out there, you usually don't get a separate booking agent until you start doing moderately large tours, or if you live in a place where you play a bunch of different venues on a regular basis.

DevilMayCare
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
See if your local library (this will depend on the size of the library) has a copy of either:
The Band's Guide to getting a Record Deal by Will Ashurst
or
All You Need to Know About the Music Business by Donald. S. Passman.

The latter is (in my opinion) the better of the two, but the former is easier going and more compact. It'll give you some good advice concerning management, booking agents and...well...most stuff you're going to need in the music business.

Zen5887
06-28-2007, 04:09 AM
See if your local library (this will depend on the size of the library) has a copy of either:
The Band's Guide to getting a Record Deal by Will Ashurst
or
All You Need to Know About the Music Business by Donald. S. Passman.

The latter is (in my opinion) the better of the two, but the former is easier going and more compact. It'll give you some good advice concerning management, booking agents and...well...most stuff you're going to need in the music business.

Woo thanks man..I'll keep an eye out