Unplugged?

PDA

View Full Version : Unplugged?

Iceman729
06-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Aight, so this lady calls me today and says she wants my band to play at her festival. Of course we say yea, but the thing is she hasnt heard us play. All of the other bands are hippy jam bands and my band is a progressive metal band.

This festival is to promote businesses in town and we are supposed to be "background" music. A whole crap-ton of friends are coming to see us. The other bands have 50watt amps and bongos, we have 400 watt amps and a huge drum kit. So we have this gut feeling that we might get unplugged. What do we do if we get unplugged? Just take our check and leave or plug ourselves back in and keep playing?

ECistheBest
06-29-2007, 01:15 AM
uh..... can't u turn it down?

Iceman729
06-29-2007, 01:17 AM
All of our stuff requires the drums to be played loud. we have to play over the drums or nobody can hear anything other than him

yawn
06-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Don't be pricks by playing stuff that you know she won't want you playing at her festival. It's her event, and she's give you guys an opportunity.

I'm sure you guys can learn to play some acoustic material. It wouldn't kill you to play something other than metal.

ibanezguitars44
06-29-2007, 01:18 AM
why are the drums required to play loud? and if they are, get one of those plexiglass wall things

Iceman729
06-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Don't be pricks by playing stuff that you know she won't want you playing at her festival. It's her event, and she's give you guys an opportunity.

I'm sure you guys can learn to play some acoustic material. It wouldn't kill you to play something other than metal.

Forgot to add this in, this gig is on saturdayand she called us tonight

me_llamo_juan
06-29-2007, 01:26 AM
^Then just have a jam.

Find a few simple chord progressions and mess around with them.

kirbyrocknroll
06-29-2007, 01:29 AM

Indeed. Why don't you guys have an acoustic jam or something? she invited you guys to play, and since she didn't hear you play yet, I don't think she would want any surprises.

Playing different styles of music is good for you, and can be fun! :)

zeroprezens
06-29-2007, 01:32 AM
yeah, play clean or with slight distortion on a few simple progressions and play the drums as quietly as you can.

is it an outdoor thing or indoor?

Iceman729
06-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Outdoor

Dutch_Apples
06-29-2007, 02:32 AM
I'll take on the unplugging issue:

I run sound at a nightclub that holds about 2,000 people. I've been told to only go onstage and unplug **** if the musicians are WAY too loud and won't listen when you tell them to turn it down. The absolute LAST RESORT I have is to hit the Kill Switch which kills all power onstage.

So far I've only came CLOSE to unplugging someone's guitar, and that was because it sounded like **** and he gave me nasty looks when I tried adjusting stuff on his amp. After he gave me nasty looks I just muted him in the FOH.

If by any chance you do have stuff unplugged, keep playing until the end of that song. If EVERYTHING is killed, then just stop because drums will be the only thing heard. Having everything killed is an absolute last resort in running sound because it's guranteed to bring attention to the sound guy/system. Usually they'll ask you to just turn it down first.

JFJH
06-29-2007, 09:38 AM
how the hell did this random lady who has never heard of you or your band before get your number ?