Yet another band problems thread

PDA

View Full Version : Yet another band problems thread

altgrunge
06-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Ok guys, I know there's a new thread that has someone with a band problem everyday so I'm sorry but I really do want some advice.

Ok, so I've been in this band for about a year and a half now, I'm the drummer, and there is a guitarist/singer and a bass player. Both of them are good friends of mine. The guitarist plays simple stuff which is basically a ripoff of Nirvana, and his singing is pretty bad. The bass player isn't much better, he's a guitarist who has converted over to bass and tries to write the guitar parts every song and doesn't really focus on his bass playing at all. I'm really not trying to sound arrogant but neither one of them really has any musical experience at all and I have the most out of us so I generally end up having to write everything. Both of them are always late to every practice and each time they have a different excuse. The guitarist never spends time writing songs but he won't let anybody else write songs because he takes it as an attack on his writing. Both of them are really emotional all the time and any slight critique of their work makes them get really angry and basically ruin a whole practice.

I can play guitar, bass and drums as well as sing and I'm thinking of quitting the band and kind of doing my own little thing. The problem is that when we do finally play someplace or have a good practice or recording session I have a lot of fun. It seems like I have three options:
1) Stay with the band and just deal with it
2) Stay with the band but also write my own songs for a "solo" project
3) Quit the band and write songs for my own "solo" project

If anybody has any advice on what to do in this situation or other ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

lolmnt
06-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Id stay with the band. I listened to the songs on your myspace and it sounded pretty good. If you can play everything then you can always write the songs your self and teach them the songs. If that doesnt work then i might leave and do my own thing, but id try with them for a while

the_negro_puppy
06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Your song help me sounds vary nirvana esque, the singer is sorta ok for that style

altgrunge
06-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, we don't even try to be like Nirvana it just kind of happened that way, that's also one of my complaints about being in the band that I said earlier, the guitarist only writes 4 chord, powerchord songs which is cool for some songs but not all of them.

lolmnt
06-29-2007, 06:49 PM
do my suggestion and write everything yourself. try it out with one of 2 songs and if that doesn't work then start writing song for a solo project and if you prefer that then quit the band

altgrunge
06-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Whenever I try to write anything for us the other two take it as me trying to like take complete control of the band and get angry at me, even when I make slight suggestions they get pissed at me, but then they never write anything themselves.

lolmnt
06-29-2007, 07:08 PM
yeah that sucks. i guess since my idea wont work them you should start a side project. i wouldnt quit your band, the music is pretty good and once you start doing your own thing, you wont get pissed at them for not praticing

Telecaster_AGY
07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
4 out of the 6 members in my band are lazy morons so its up to me, lead guitarist and the drummer, who can play guitar and keys, to write all our stuff. If the rest of the band don't like it well thats just tough cause they put in no effort.