When To Play What

PDA

View Full Version : When To Play What

Muphin
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm having some trouble getting my band to play through our songs. We don't often follow a basic song structure, and quite a few of our songs don't have any vocals, and our practices usually end up with us jamming on the same progression over and over. So say, for example, I've got part 1 and part 2, and we're just jamming on part 1, and I want to switch it up to part 2, how do I instruct them to do that?

Right now I'm forced to just tell them how many measures or phrases to wait before switching, but I find this inefficient, and if one person misses a measure or something then the whole song falls apart. I'd love to just make eye contact and have them know exactly what I'm thinking, but they never seem to get it.

How do you manage to get past this barrier?

civildp1
06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
well, If you're just jamming on riffs, use hand singnals or head nods to switch to the next riff. If you actually wanna play the song for real, you need to choose a structure and figure out how many bars each riff will last for. That's what real bands do.

HeavenlyVirus
06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Get bandmates who more about music than..."hey! if i put my first finger on a string, and then i put my 3rd finger on the next string....it sound good!!!"

Muphin
06-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Get bandmates who more about music than..."hey! if i put my first finger on a string, and then i put my 3rd finger on the next string....it sound good!!!"

Hey, only one of them is like that :(

Mr.Cuddles
06-30-2007, 09:45 AM
teach em how to count, when they can do that say...Hey after 5 times, switch to this for 3 times...

Muphin
06-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but I was wondering if there was a better way. Guess not. Thanks.

gunther_sucks
07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Give everyone the look, specificly the drummer, you can have him do a short fill which could be the signal to change riffs.

Do you have a good drummer? A simple nod should be sufficient.