Tips for a Power Trio

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Power Trio

gamayshark
06-30-2007, 11:12 PM
So, my guitarist friend is leaving for turkey for a year, so me having a two guitarist band with my drummer and my bassist is out. So, pretty much i'll be playing rhythm and the occasional lead simoultaneously, and taking over songwriting duties (we're only juniors in high school, so its not too serious) Any tips on how to coordinate this? (I'm probably singing too, although I'm pretty sure my bandmates hate my voice).

DevilMayCare
07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I've been musing over this myself and the best approach I've found is to take one guitar bands similar in musical style to yourself and have a look at their approach to the guitar. The Who, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Green Day, ZZ Top, T.Rex, Nirvana, The Ramones, Blink 182 are just a few that come to mind, and obviously are very different in their approach.

gamayshark
07-01-2007, 02:23 PM
See, the main one guitar bands i admire are Cream, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, and the White Stripes. I have watched and listened to each one's live shows and determined one thing: distortion.
Now, I'm not a huge fan of heavy distortion, but the thing is, i'm no clapton, hendrix, or townshend either. So, I looked to the Peppers, Nirvana, and the white stripes, who all use distortion to verying degrees of listenability (you wont see laying on my whammy pedal the jack white does anytime soon). And see, my bassist isn't very good, nor is my drummer. So there's no way they could take a role in the band like flea or dave grohl could. So, at this point I'm down to the White Stripes and Nirvana (because of the bassist factor) as guitar influences (essentially power chords, catchy riffs, and loads of distortion) and the others as songwriting influences.

psychodelia
07-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Part of the responsibility in the few power trios I've been in is for the bass and drums to really step up. They need to respond to the guitarist, and if space needs to be filled, sometimes they have to fill it. What might clutter up a bigger band might be necessary with just three people, particularly during solos. That's why it's too bad your bassist isn't particularly good, so hopefully the drummer can fill things out a little bit.

Dozza
07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I agree with that last post... when my band was a three peice we decided to just have the basslines have more going on, and added quite a few drum fills.

This pushed the bassist and drummer on quite a bit so now we have another guitarist they can handle most things we do easily.

JRohr
07-02-2007, 04:48 AM
OR

you could find a rythym guitarist

whos voice isnt as hated by your bandmates
and ahve him sing

so you could concentrate on lead

Sir Edwin CBE
07-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Guitar must be constant - bass can't just double guitar, it could also use some distortion or fuzz to sound bigger. Drums can use beats with the ride cymbal and floor tom for bigger sounds and could play the bass drum every 1st and 3rd eat of the bar for a bigger sound.

gamayshark
07-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Here's a few songs I've done on my computer in case you're curious. It gives you a pretty good idea of my voice: http://www.myspace.com/grahammayshark

altgrunge
07-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I can see why your bandmates might not like your voice, it would really sound good for country or blues I think, but not for heavy rock unless you were just singing calmly there in those recordings and you can really scream.

gamayshark
07-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I can see why your bandmates might not like your voice, it would really sound good for country or blues I think, but not for heavy rock unless you were just singing calmly there in those recordings and you can really scream.

And see, I don't listen to much heavy rock. I'm much more a rolling stones/cream/jimi hendrix classic blues rock, cat stevens/bob dylan/ folk guy , with a little bit of beatlesque pop thing thrown in (at least when it comes to songwriting) than any sort of "heavy rock" kind of songwriter. Actually, I can scream, I'm just kinda of 6' 3" and i'm afraid if i were to sing in that style in front of them they might get, you know, scared.
My favorite current bands are modest mouse, white stripes, and radiohead. My drummer is much more drawn to indie, underground rock, and my bassist is a big fan of trance and heavy metal. But I pretty much like everything too, i just can't seem to write anything except classic rock and folk pop.

altgrunge
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
You could try combining some of those styles of music, like use your blues/folk voice and combine it with the indie and the strong bass lines of heavier music, it might make a really cool combination. Idk if you've ever listened to Marcy Playground, but they have like a folk/rock sound to them and radiohead also has that like calm rock sound too.

cashewchaching
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Or, you could get a bass, temporarily. Borrow your friend's amp/bass , and switch to bass for a couple shows. Take a couple months, and really practice at it, as the proportions are bigger, and you need stronger fingers. If you are a competent guitarist, you should be able to switch to bass with no problem. It just takes some getting used to.