Making a band

PDA

View Full Version : Making a band

FoolOnThePlanet
07-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Tell me your guys opinions:

Me(year and a hlaf experience) and a friend (almost half a year bass experience) have been jamming lately, and it's pretty fun, but not as awesome anymore as in the beginning. He's really set on finding a drummer and starting a band, but me-not so much...

He keeps nagging me saying we should find someone, but my opinion is this...

Not bragging or anything, but people say I'm good at guitar...people who don't know so much especially, but most important to me, my dad, a musician of many many years, has said I'm coming a long really well. Besides my dad, the other people don't really know about guitar....I know that I have a LONG way to go. It's like I ahve a picture in my mind(am I the only one?) of what I want to be...

But yeah, so I eally don't want to start a band until we both(him especially, who is just a beginner) get better...
I am really dedicated, paly a lot of stuff and am curently focussing on theory...he for some reason palys nothing but our list of songs that we play together, and I see no effort to better himself as a musician...

I feel he's just in it for a hobby, but I'm really passionate about it....
Not like I want to go out and get noticed, or get signed or anything, but I really want to be good and paly some kick ass shows....

Anyway, that's pretty much the whole story, give or take a few details...opinions??

kaptink
07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
heck I think I learn more and get better from a few hours of band practice than a few weeks practicing at home. You might as well go for it.

Yakult
07-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Tell him that....?

gm jack
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
If he is competant i.e. he can play a basic bass line to hold the groove in a song, go for it.

You have to realise that us bassists have it a bit harder in finding really interesting pieces to learn at all levels. Most bass solos and songs with more comlicated bass lines are often really difficult. There is a much bigger gap between easy basslines (greenday) and harder stuff (Rush). For guitar, there is enough levels of difficulty andpieces that sound good on their own to keep you bust for a more steady progression.

Playing in a band, or even just jamming together can make you progress alot more quickly and enjoy it more than just on your own, so long as you do it in addition to current practise.

If you have a drummer, there is someone the bass can really lock with, so give him/her more room to make the basslines more complicated. And a drummer will make your playing sound better as well, and make it more fun.

Guitar_Joe
07-01-2007, 01:04 PM
hahahaha - sorry im not laughing at your situation its just the bassist in my band seems to have a very similar attitude, though its maybe worse in my case cos me n the other members would love to make a go of this and if we cant find a soloution then it could really hold us back, he's a good bass player, knows the songs and we gel well and hes a good mate, but its just he puts most things before music mainly football (watching it not playing) n work (asks for more when we need to reheares) anyway enough of my ramblings, in your case however if your just jamming not wanting to really get somewhere than it probably cab be more easily solved, just talk to him, tell him something along the lines of what you said up there maybe even try to help him out if your a better musician than him (without being patronising of course) just try n help get the same fire n drive you have, just give him a chance

FoolOnThePlanet
07-01-2007, 01:30 PM
hahahaha - sorry im not laughing at your situation its just the bassist in my band seems to have a very similar attitude, though its maybe worse in my case cos me n the other members would love to make a go of this and if we cant find a soloution then it could really hold us back, he's a good bass player, knows the songs and we gel well and hes a good mate, but its just he puts most things before music mainly football (watching it not playing) n work (asks for more when we need to reheares) anyway enough of my ramblings, in your case however if your just jamming not wanting to really get somewhere than it probably cab be more easily solved, just talk to him, tell him something along the lines of what you said up there maybe even try to help him out if your a better musician than him (without being patronising of course) just try n help get the same fire n drive you have, just give him a chance

Yeah, I feel you. That's another thing I'm worried about. He's techniquely a "jock". He palys a sport every season. He also jsut went away for a month to work with his aunt in Virginia....

I just don't see him taking this as seriously as would work.

Toy Soldier
07-02-2007, 11:37 PM
yea me and my neighbor used to always just chill and play, and we r kinda starting up a lil band and ive become sooo much better playing with everyone. so give it a try and see how it goes

cashewchaching
07-03-2007, 09:30 AM
I would get some more experience before you try anything, though. I would find a drummer, and jam, but i would keep it at a jam until you all have about two years experience.

Horebane
07-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't.
Trust me.
I joined a band. They were my friends.
The vocalist was BAD.
I really couldn't stand working with him, he showed no effort to improve and just constantly talked about how bad his vocals were without doing anything about it, and being extremely critical about everyone else, again, criticism that was vague, useless and annoying.
Keep in mind this was like a year ago.
Today. I'm still "in" this **** band. He sucks just as much, he's basically the same.

I've told him to get vocal lessons, like last year,MANY TIMES, he said "yea" but never did. He showed ZERO effort to get his vocals up to par, his vocals are ****ing horrid and he can f uck up the simplest melodies and sing it 4 notes off.
One story I have is, we had a performance, and throughout the entire performance, I was just cringing the entire time, because he was singing off pitch(like a FEW NOTES off). After the performance, everyone said we were alright.... except for the singer who ruined the entire thing.

Oh, besides the vocalist, everyone else was really half-assed, I was the only one who wrote original stuff, and I even wrote the vocal melodies and lyrics for the ****e vocalist.
The drummer was really half-assed and didn't give a **** and would rather do nothing than play music. The bassist was really enthusiastic, but he just wanted the "glory" that came along with being in a band, the only reason he is into music is because it's "cool", it's very evident in the way he does certain things, like how he refuses to play powerchords for no particular reason other than it sounds like a newbie thing to do.

Basically. Don't get yourself into a rut like I did.
F uck assholes who claim they are passionate about music when they do nothing to better themselves at their respective instruments, loving music is one thing, wanting to play it at a DECENT level requires EFFORT, and if their not willing to put in ANY effort whatsoever, then what the f uck is the point?

Tomaz24
07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Joining a band is a great way to develop your skills, as is being on your own and studying theory and such. Both have their advantages and I’d strongly advice you to get into this band thing because you’ll learn things theory just can’t teach you. It’s not like a brilliant theory-nut head would slot straight into a band - there’d still be a lot he’d have to learn to do, so I think a mix of the two is great for developing musicians.

As for other members bettering themselves, nothing will help them along faster than a dedicated fellow guitarist who knows his theory.

One tip, if you’re very serious about pushing yourself - try to find a strictly instrumental band, you might find (I know I did) that this way you’ll have more opportunities to express yourself and explore your boundaries. If you’re constantly caged beneath some singer (or rocker, even worse) then you’ll probably find, like you fear that you won’t be developing yourself at all.