acoustic strings on electric guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : acoustic strings on electric guitar?

stuportrooper
07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Basically the title explains it all, but let's do a background...

I have been only playing guitar for a few months and I'm always nervous to ask idiotic questions like this to the clerks so I embarress my self here

all right I was at the store the other day and needed to get some strings for my guitar. looking at the selection I wondered if I could put acoustic strings on my electric guitar. I decided to get regular strings and not waste my cash.

But really, will it do anything different? Or will it even work (pick up) on the guitar

TaV0
07-01-2007, 06:32 PM
the nylon strings won't work, and the thicker ones, will sound awful, if they sound. Actuallya I don't know, but I believe it won't work

LastAuramancer
07-01-2007, 06:33 PM
if the strings are metal, they will work. Acoustic strings tend to be larger gauges though.

guitarman47
07-01-2007, 06:34 PM
i dont think so. sometimes i put 13's on my electrics to help with my finger strength. try it and see what happens!

Peanut1614
07-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Nylons dont work at all, my friend did it to his electric and it soundes awful and the pick ups wont pick it up..

greendayguitar
07-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Normal acoustic strings will work.

Nylons wont.

bluesrocker101
07-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Nylons dont work at all, my friend did it to his electric and it soundes awful and the pick ups wont pick it up..

Nylons aren't magnetic. ;)

lyko65
07-30-2010, 10:32 PM
actually i just put some light gauge accoustics on my ibanez AS-73 and it sounds amazing

brandon2784
07-30-2010, 10:53 PM
you could always just get electric strings but with a wound 3rd (G) string thats what i like doing since the g string always seems a little off to me... costs a little more but i like it a lot, mostly for low tunings like C# standard though.

metal321
07-31-2010, 01:07 AM
I've got 13's on my acoustic but they are too heavy. I'll be moving to 12's when I have the money for a new batch of strings. I like to use light/heavies on my electrics. A .9 on bottom and then I use heavier strings for D,A, and E. It's helps if you don't have the strongest hands, but still gives you a little more meat on the low end. Have any of you guys read what guys like Pat Matheny use? I read once that he uses .17 gauge strings. Man, I wouldn't want to shake his hand. Talk about playing on barbed wire or what?

Iblis92
05-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Acoustic strings will work, because their metal (if not nylon) and the pickups..pickup the vibrations the metal makes. I actually just found this forum because tonight I put acoustic strings on my electric... I would've put the electric ones.. But i sorta broke one... newbie mistake.
I like the sound it has, its a bit different and not what I was expecting but it has some benefits. One thing is that when I put it on my amp it sounded...warm. and then an added bonus is that I can practice and hear my guitar better without an amp (if im unable to use my amp ofc) Anyway, yea i like it. but theyre comin off soon.