Female covers???

PDA

View Full Version : Female covers???

evening_crow
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
So...i'm starting a band with a female singer and i was wondering what would be some good songs to cover...they don't have to be originally performed by a female vocalist though. Another thing is that our main tunning would be dropped Db (down 1/2 step + dropped D) and i don't know what are some cool songs in this tunning (particularly for one guitar). So far i've only found some Nirvana songs, Our Lady Peace, and "Why I'm Here" by Oleander.

What other bands play in dropped Db tunning and/or would be cool to cover with one guitar and a female singer (plus male vocals backing up = me)?

So far this are the main songs in mind:

Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
Why I'm Here - Oleander
Rape Me - Nirvana
Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana
Bound For The Floor - Local H
Cold (But I'm Still Here) - Evans Blue
Whatever - Our Lady Peace
Not Enough - Our Lady Peace
Our Time Is Fading - Our Lady Peace
All For You - Our Lady Peace
One Man Army - Our Lady Peace

So...what are some other good songs/artists that use that tunning and that we could cover (now concidering the type of music we're playing)? Or at least other songs from those artists?

thanks in advanced!!!! i promise to upload some demos once we play any of them.

rage6945
07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
why not write your own songs? and im pretty sure flyleaf plays in drop D, if you mind tuning up a half step. or you could just transpose it to Db. tuning should never be a big deal

screamsoftly
07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Does it absolutely have to be in drop Db? That really limits the possibilites.

Although I think it would be interesting to hear a girl sing Rape Me and Pennyroyal Tea (neither of which are Db).

Anyway.

SomeEvilDude
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Well, the three Nirvana songs aren't in the drop-tuning, so I'm assuming you're allowing for standard or 1/2 step down tuning, in which case I reccomend:

Wanabee - Spice Girls

The school rock band I drum in has a female singer and she pulls it off really well. It's a crowd pleaser too, so any gigs it'll go down well at, and hey, that song fucking rocks.

evening_crow
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I know what you mean guys...and yeah, i had though of Flyleaf and stuff and i was thinking of playing them like this. The main reason why i was asking dropped Db was cuz i love that tunning for some reason (idk, string tension, deeper sound without wobbly strings). I could play stuff in dropped D or E standard, but i'd rather not be having to be changing tunnings in between songs (plus it's more a bitch for the bassist).

Bleh...w/e. I guess i'll just change the tunning into dropped Db if it's songs not many people know (like "Antarctica" by The Bled).

so then i'll change my question: Any cool songs to be covered by a female vocalist? or old songs to change (like "Zombies" by the Cranberries; i heard a local band last saturday cover that song and some other by Blondie, but both were kinda heavy and it sounded really awesome)?

eckmann88
07-02-2007, 05:53 PM
As far as the dropped 1/2 step: Pretty much any GNR tune, or some Elliott Smith, which would sound great with one guitar.

If you don't mind getting into standard, pretty much any Heart song would work, too.

Zen5887
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
We got a chick singer she does a real good job..(She managed back in black for a comp)

Umm Zombie is good fun and Whats up by four not blonds. You could do your own, Db version of them songs

warlockking
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
wow, a half step in any direction would make it alot easier. there was an all female ACDC band that played our local demolition derby last yr and they kicked @$$. so it doesn't really matter alot of the time as long as she can pull off the song.

cashewchaching
07-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Well, dropped Db really doesn't matter, it just might be dmore difficult to reach some more chords. People sometimes forget that you don't NEED to change the tuning to play every song

Kid_Thorazine
07-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Well, the three Nirvana songs aren't in the drop-tuning, so I'm assuming you're allowing for standard or 1/2 step down tuning, in which case I reccomend:

heart shaped box is definitely in drop D, also you could try some alice in chains, I Stay Away is in that tuning I think.

dullsilver_mike
07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that a lot of Smashing Pumpkins songs are in drop db, though a lot of them are in just bizzare-ass tunnings as well. I don't see what it matters though, just sing every drop d song a half step lower. Also, I'm pretty sure a woman singing the pumpkins could really kick ass on a whole lot of songs.

lagunasunrise
07-03-2007, 11:08 AM
The Kids Aren't Allright by The Offspring. I saw an all girl band cover that, It sounded really nice.

spazticpsycho43
07-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure about tunings and stuff, but with both a male and female singer, you could try Paradise by The Dashboard Light, by Meat Loaf.

timeforheroes
07-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Anything by Blondie and Evenescance for female singers.

nodice182
07-06-2007, 04:58 AM
maybe go for bands who often use a higher vocal register:

incubus
muse
all those pop bands, fall out boy, panic at the disco, etc?

just a thought. good luck : )

Sir Edwin CBE
07-06-2007, 07:58 AM
"The Kids Aren't Allright by The Offspring."

No..... heard that song too much and it's just **** now.

I agree with the higher registers idea - it'll also be easier for them aka Muse, AC/DC etc.

Delta-dragoon
07-06-2007, 09:26 AM
The Distillers possibly, great band. Brody Dalle kicks ass.

timeforheroes
07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
****, I knew there was one band that's I forgotten. 'Drain The Blood' is a class song.

Koolcow
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
get another guitarist and do some circa survive, perfect for a female singer and it fits your tuning also

_deeperthewound
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
How about some A Perfect Circle?

I think Orestes, Judith, Passive... they'd sound great with female vocals.