Drop C scales

PDA

View Full Version : Drop C scales

blair30
07-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I play in drop C tuning and basically Im finding a hard time learning scales needed to play lead. Right now I have to learn on standard tuning then convert the scale into drop c form and its quite frustrating. Can I pleasee ask for help and techniques from my fellow de-tunees. :confused:

bass1991guitar
07-02-2007, 05:31 PM
You really should get to grips with standard tuning before you start playing with different tunings.

ibanez4life SZ!
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
The shapes of the scales are exactly the same....the only thing is that you will be playing in a different key.

ex. If you are playing an E minor scale, in Drop C, the same positioned scale will actually be a d minor scale...or if you want to play the E minor, you have to take the same shape 2 frets higher.

It's fairly simple.

DR_SH
07-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I love the tuning when my sz arives on Wednesday its going straight in to C steve holt style lol I've had the same idea in the back of my mind for a few months, but its not something i've looked into. Dew to my hands being f**ked up I can't really play in standard without it hurting when I bend strings, so the looser tention helps me out quite a lot Although I've not really thought much about playing lead in years I think its something that I should really start to learn same with melodic notes I mean everyone can chugg away

All I can think of is what your doing at the min....... I hope that someone else has a better idea, but all I can say is keep going with it. Converting notes may be a pain in the ass, but just stick at it

bobsyouraunt
07-02-2007, 05:55 PM
dont-be-a-dirty-metal-head... :D

drop C? why i ask, why?

you shud be able to make something sound f'in heavy in standard tuning without needing to detune so much. Its all about the rhythm man.

blair30
07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
dont-be-a-dirty-metal-head... :D

drop C? why i ask, why?

you shud be able to make something sound f'in heavy in standard tuning without needing to detune so much. Its all about the rhythm man.

Its coz im so hardcore

paranormal5150
07-02-2007, 06:12 PM
the scales are the same... they keys just change.... so it doesnt matter if you learn it in standard or in a whole step down. I don't understand what the problem is.. and why it is hard to learn scales in drop c? If you are wondering about the C string... well you dropped it two steps.. so just count it up. that means you would play that sring 2 up from the other part of the scale.

steven seagull
07-03-2007, 06:24 AM
You really should get to grips with standard tuning before you start playing with different tunings.
+1

If you can't do something relatively simple like transpose a scale then maybe you should go back to standard for a while.

Luke200420
07-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Thrice uses it on Vhessieu alot.

de.sandman
07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Do you read scales by tabs or by their notes (ex. A, B, C etc) ? if it is by notes, write down the notes of a scale down on a piece of paper. Find them darn notes on the fret board in a typical scale shape and youre done! The only thing you'd have to worry about is the lowest string which would be a C. its a full tone/step (2 frets) from D. lemme show you an example,..

standard tuning - EADGBe
Full step down - DGCFAd

if the lowest string was a D, you can play the scale shape the same way, its just that its in a different key. however...

Full step down - DGCFAd
Drop C tuning - CGCFAd

our lowest string is at C. so imagine a scale shape, BUT! move the 3 notes on the lowest C string further down a full tone (2 frets) the neck (towards body) to get them scale note.

I know that wasnt the best explanation but hope ya get it! Drop C os nice, KSe fun! haha

:cheers:

-Jon

lua4x
07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
http://www.rozengain.com/guitar-scales/

here dog you can put in your tuning and it shows you the scales