Local Scene/BYOFL

PDA

View Full Version : Local Scene/BYOFL

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

whyvern
10-29-2003, 11:45 PM
Ok, I think its time we start talking about DIY.

I'm sure there are lots of you people out there, in internetland, who are VERY active in your local scene, and know alot about bands that come from your town, and venues to play at.

I'm sure all of you love seeing a punk show, and I'm sure many of you would like to go on tour.

Well how do you do that with out some big record label?

BOOK YOUR OWN ****ING LIFE!

that's right DIY (do it yourself), its time to address that ethic of punk rock. Hell, my parents even live by it. Its universal and it can get you far in life even (Kung-Fu Records, Fat Wreck Chords, Epitaph and just about every other punk label that is successful started out DIY).

So what is there about DIY?

Well first off you can book your own shows. In this thread I intend for there to be a list of places to play in your area, and bands who will play with you (these bands MUST HAVE DONE GIGS BEFORE or they can be your own).

Secondly, you can put out your own records
HOLY ****! PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO THAT?
yes they do as hard as it may sound, many, many bands put out records DIY (i know alot of you know this already :p: )

Thirdly, write articles for your own zine.
All of you have computers (obviously :rolleyes: ) and you most likely have a printer so put it to use! Don't **** around in english class when they teach you how to write, you can write zine articles and express your opinions just fine and dandy, and you can do it all yourself.

fourthly and finally:

GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO **** FOR THE SCENE.

Get a place to play shows, book shows, start a band, start a zine, start a record label, sell records, make T-shirts, make patches, organize a gang, start a promotion company. Do whatever your scene needs and you think you can do. Just think of all the joy and satisfaction when your sitting at the show in your hometown of the First ever Tarakany US-tour, chilling with the band, making friends for a lifetime, and then you can say to yourself «HEY! I did this».

So here we go with places you can play at in my area: (please respond with your places to play, and other DIY ideas and comments):

Huntsville, Alabama, USA:

The Neighborhood Hot Spot
1407 Jordan Lane
Huntsville Alabama, 35816
Tele #: (256) 489-5201

you can call them or mail to them inquiries on booking.

Southern Adventures
2150 Leeman Ferry Cir.
Huntsville Alabama, 35801
Tele #: (256) 850-6599

before you book a gig here, you need to have a local band as your sponser, and you need to send the venue a CD or Cassette so they can hear you.

Knights of Columbus Hall

well a KOC is a KOC and you need contact in Huntsville to get a show there.

all these venues are good at paying bands too :).

Anniston, Alabama, USA:

Room 1213 (probably the best punk venue in all of Alabama)
12 West 13th St.
Anniston, AL 36206
Tele #: none given:

from their website (www.1213rockshows.com):

1213 Rock Shows requires a CD or demo to be sent to:
6216 Meadowlark Dr. Anniston AL 36206.
If you are looking for a specific date you can email Randy at:
rapid_randy@hotmail.com

Please send date needed or available weekend dates and contact info along with your demo.:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as bands to play with goes

Drag Down First
www.dragdownfirst.tk

they'd love to play with your band (I'm almost sure they would) and they are very reliable at putting shows together, but they are on a hieatus until December

The Alabama Jihad
http://alabamajihadmusic.tk/

These guys WANT people to play with them, so I suggest you get to it and book yourself a show in Alabama with them. They are amazing live!

These two bands describe what alot of the music comming out of Huntsville sounds like, New Wave combined with Hardcore or Emo.

there are other bands and if anyone else wants them e-mail me @ thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com

well feel free to add :cheers:

Monty
10-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Awsome thread Whyvern, i'll sticky this for now. This will become our Local Scene (Plug In Your Local Bands) thread too.

Cheers :cheers:

BluePaintCult
10-30-2003, 12:16 AM
ok good idea. ill get back to this and edit some band web sites and stuff into it later

:cheers:

Caz87
10-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Good idea Whyvern!! Useful info, but i don't think anyone else around here lives in my area, so i don't think me putting up bands to contact and places to play would be very much use to the UG community.

whyvern
10-30-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Caz87
Good idea Whyvern!! Useful info, but i don't think anyone else around here lives in my area, so i don't think me putting up bands to contact and places to play would be very much use to the UG community.

well what if someone is planning a tour in Australia?

madfingers
10-30-2003, 04:14 PM
I was just thinking about making a thread where everyone plugged in their local venues, you beat me to it, great idea whyvy.

Ok, here's a few local Cleveland Venues:

Grog Shop
http://www.grogshop.gs
1765 Coventry Rd
Cleveland Heights, OH

(216) 321-5588

Chris' Warped Records
13383 Madison Ave
Lakewood, OH

(216) 521-4981

Peabodys
2083 E 21st St.
Cleveland, OH

216-776-9999

Carriage House Niteclub
9033 Columbus Road
Louisville, OH

330-875-8101

Green Room
Madison Ave,
Lakewood, OH.

216-221-8611

Lakewood has a very good punk scene going right now.

And also check out www.clevelandpunkscene.com for some great information.

And a good tip for making connections, never ever be self-conscience or nervous when introducing yourself, always be the first to start conversation and always ALWAYS have a demo handy. But do not shove it in their face.

yousuck
10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
wow great idea, thanks for the reminder i won't post any venues for my local scene becaus Monty lives in winnipeg too and i'm sure he knows alot more than me.:bonk:

Monty
10-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by yousuck
wow great idea, thanks for the reminder i won't post any venues for my local scene becaus Monty lives in winnipeg too and i'm sure he knows alot more than me.:bonk:

I'll post some later, but feel free to post some also if you want. What part of Winnipeg are you from? There aren't many tobans around here. :cheers:

Monty
10-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Here's some venues in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:

Pyramid Cabaret
176 Fort Street
Tele #: (204) 957-7777

The Zoo/Ozzie's
160 Osborne Street
Tele #: (204) 452-9824

West End Cultural Centre
586 Ellice Ave
Tele #: (204) 783-6918

The Royal Albert Arms
48 Albert St.
Tele #: (204) 943-8433

Le Rendez-Vous
768 Tache Avenue
Tele #: will find later...

U of M Multi-Purpose Room
University of Manitoba Campus
Tele #: Unknown

Phone for booking info and etc.

I'll add some more later. :cheers:

Berlioz97
10-31-2003, 12:59 AM
Fresno City Hardcore (FCHC) Fresno, California USA
http://www.fresnohardcore.net

I'll post some venues later.

Some local punk/hardcore/emo/thrash bands-

The Lost Boys
Not 4 Hire
Civil Duty
Needy Eevy
Crucial Conscience
The Victims
The Velisha(my band)
The Idles
Straight Edge Kegger
The Fallouts
Upside Right
Dying Within
A Bleeding Youth
All Dead
Militant Youth
The Getaways
Middle Class Mile
Peel Apparition
Occam's Razor
A.O.A
Falsett
Nowhere Fast

Band sites-

The Velisha- http://www.geocities.com/thevelishapunx
Falsett- http://www.falsettrock.com
The Victims- http://www.geocities.com/thevictimspunk
The Lost Boys- http://www.thelostboys.tk
Militant Youth- http://www.militantyouth.tk
Not 4 Hire- http://www.n4hpunx.com

Other local scene sites-

PlanetGig- http://www.planetgig.com
Fresno Area Local Bands- http://www.localbands.org
Truthstar- http://www.truthstar.tk
Anti-Trust Records- http://geocities.com/antitrustrecords/

dunlop88mm
10-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by madfingers
I was just thinking about making a thread where everyone plugged in their local venues, you beat me to it, great idea whyvy.

Ok, here's a few local Cleveland Venues:

cool someone else from cleveland

Odeon Concert Club
1295 Old River Road
Cleveland, OH 44113

216-574-2525

XQuickDeathX
11-02-2003, 02:21 AM
we have two venues

Newport music hall

Alarosa

Their both good and my band has played at newport a bunch of times with The pitts

Berlioz97
11-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Yeah, today I was trying to book a show at this place called the Hi-Tech Fun Center, and I called them and they said we could play the 22nd of November if we bought 250 bucks worth of tickets(50 tickets) and sold them for 8 bucks each and got to keep the profit, so I told them "dude, that's pay to play, we don't do that, it ruined the music scene down in LA" and h'es all like "they do it in LA now and they do it everywhere else too" so I told him we'd play for free and he said "well, don't you want to make any money?" and I said "nope...we'll play for free..." and he says that they may want us to play just bring him a promo package and a demo....haha, I told that dude off. And so I think if we bring a promo package he might let us play cuz he knows we mean bussiness.

Punkrockguy17
11-02-2003, 11:42 PM
There are a couple venues in Knoxville, TN here are 2 I could find info on.

Old City Java
snail mail
old city java
109 s. central st.
knoxville, tn 37902

phone

general info: info@oldcityjava.net

booking info: booking@oldcityjava.net

Blue Cats
check http://www.bluecatslive.com/ for info.

And also some local bands to check out here in Knoxville, TN is Maas Neo-tek http://www.maas-neotek.cjb.net/
The Royal Bangs(formerly known as the Suburban Urchins) http://www.theroyalbangs.com/
Perfect Orange http://www.perfectorange.tk/
My Lost Cause http://www.mylostcause.net/

madfingers
11-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Berlioz97
Dude, all the kids in the local scene around here do is go on the internet and talk sh<e>it on my band and ask me why I re-joined their band and say that it's f<e>ucked that I joined them up again and talk about how we're mindless concieted drugees and stuff....real assholes....just jealous, we haven't even playe d a show for any of the kids in the local punk scene, so what the hell?

Ok, you're last 2 posts have not in any way contributed to this thread. It's just you talking about how serious you are about music and how you know so much more than any local kids.

Please stop.

Monty
11-08-2003, 03:25 AM
Ok I deleted the unnecessary posts to keep this thread clean, Berlioz if you don't like this thread why are you posting in it?

Berlioz97
11-08-2003, 03:26 AM
Sorry, I just got pissed cuz he was trying to tell me off and...anyway....venues here suck and I don't know their numbers, so I'm done.

MuchTheSame
11-10-2003, 11:27 PM
The Fireside Bowl
2648 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL
(773)-486-2700
http://www.firesidebowl.com/

^ excellent venue, pretty tough to get though.

XQuickDeathX
11-20-2003, 10:06 PM
hey my band is gonna try and do a tour of the country next summer, if you guys could PM me some good places in your local scene to play that would be awesome

thanks

MuchTheSame
11-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by XQuickDeathX
hey my band is gonna try and do a tour of the country next summer, if you guys could PM me some good places in your local scene to play that would be awesome

thanks

That's what this whole thread is about. :rolleyes:

XQuickDeathX
11-20-2003, 10:28 PM
haha i know dude, but could you PM yours to me so i can keep track of them

timetraveller02
11-23-2003, 04:10 PM
^ would be a good idea

Lead4Tardigrade
11-28-2003, 01:06 AM
How exactly should I go about starting a "zine"? Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

whyvern
11-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Lead4Tardigrade
How exactly should I go about starting a "zine"? Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

Write reviews of local music, and shows, do political colums, review national music, talk about things you like, and that matter to the scene.

Lead4Tardigrade
11-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by whyvern
Write reviews of local music, and shows, do political colums, review national music, talk about things you like, and that matter to the scene.

I could do this on e-mail too eh? There's no good local bands really...maybe I'm too young to know about anything yet...maybe I'll wait a couple years but thanks dude.

whyvern
11-28-2003, 01:19 AM
I could do this on e-mail too eh? There's no good local bands really...maybe I'm too young to know about anything yet...maybe I'll wait a couple years but thanks dude.

well I'm starting a zine here, its gonna be called The Weakly American, if you'd like to write colums about being punk where you live for it, you can e-mail me. Oh anyone else who wants to write colums, is welcome to it as well, I can send the files to you and you can hand them out in your area. :cheers:

Lead4Tardigrade
11-28-2003, 01:49 AM
well I'm starting a zine here, its gonna be called The Weakly American, if you'd like to write colums about being punk where you live for it, you can e-mail me. Oh anyone else who wants to write colums, is welcome to it as well, I can send the files to you and you can hand them out in your area. :cheers:

Hell yeah I'm in on this. I'm not good at writing article n I don't have topics but I'm sure I'd get by ok.

madfingers
11-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Starting a zine eh?

My friend had one for a while, I helped him out quite a lot. It's really simple actually, and you're idea to do it over email would be easier, but not everyone in your area would have access to it.

Basically do what whyvern said, make readers more aware of the local scene, reviews, interviews with local bands or record store/venue owners.

And whyvern could you send me a sample of your zine?

FatKidsOnMopeds</3
11-30-2003, 01:32 AM
this band is ok

http://3qf.cjb.net

i dont really like their band name, but the music is ok. :cheers:

Mofo Girl
11-30-2003, 11:58 AM
I live on Guernsey but it's an island so that's kinda hard. But we have a great music scene at the moment like Thee Jenerators are doing really well and there are loads of young bands who are really talented so check it out y'all!!!!!

whyvern
11-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Starting a zine eh?

My friend had one for a while, I helped him out quite a lot. It's really simple actually, and you're idea to do it over email would be easier, but not everyone in your area would have access to it.

Basically do what whyvern said, make readers more aware of the local scene, reviews, interviews with local bands or record store/venue owners.

And whyvern could you send me a sample of your zine?

sure dude, you wanna write in it? You can sell it at shows in Ohio :), Heidi is gonna write in it, and I'll see about other people from around the country (and the world) writing in it. Because, MaximumRocknRoll has gone to ****. We need something new :).

madfingers
11-30-2003, 09:47 PM
sure dude, you wanna write in it? You can sell it at shows in Ohio :), Heidi is gonna write in it, and I'll see about other people from around the country (and the world) writing in it. Because, MaximumRocknRoll has gone to ****. We need something new :).

Surely, what do you want me to write?

whyvern
11-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Surely, what do you want me to write?

whatever you feel like, scene reports, political colums, daily life in your scene, whatever. :cheers:

Lead4Tardigrade
12-02-2003, 01:04 AM
I would write some articles but I'd probably screw it up big time. Ah well.

whyvern
12-02-2003, 01:15 AM
I would write some articles but I'd probably screw it up big time. Ah well.

you can't screw it up. You send your article to me and it will be published, maybe not this time, but next time yes it will :).

Berlioz97
12-02-2003, 03:28 AM
I wrote an article for a local zine one time.....

whyvern
12-02-2003, 09:01 AM
I wrote an article for a local zine one time.....

wanna write a scene report or something for a non local one?

MiDDiE06
12-02-2003, 08:30 PM
if any punk bands here wanna be linked up to our site, just put up your website url here and ill like it up to my new bands site.

lazybassist
12-02-2003, 09:43 PM
ok well i just got one to post
house of blues orlando
407.934.BLUE
www.hoborlando.com

agreth
12-04-2003, 06:09 AM
nice. inspirational. haha. no seriously.

whyvern
12-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by lazybassist
ok well i just got one to post
house of blues orlando
407.934.BLUE
www.hoborlando.com

yeah Anti-Flag's playing there december 8th i might go

umm yeah i would help out with that ZINE that people were talking about but the scene around here kinda sucks as far as i see it. there is a scene but not the biggest one. i don't really classify myself as punk even though its mainly what i listen to. The only really "punk" kid in my middle school is ralph.

i almost have a band going we just need a drummer we'll contribute what we have to the scene its just a matter of us getting a drummer geting some shows and getting a name

possibel name ideas

restricted sedtion
distorted state of coruption

(any feedback on those would be great)

well I can gaurentee that if Anti-Flag is playing in your town that you have a big punk scene. So write some aritcles and stuff for us. Everything you write will be published unless its racist, sexits, anti-semetic, or homophobic :)

Lead4Tardigrade
12-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Southern Wisconsin apparently has a big punk scene. We have a lot of good bands come to the rave here but I don't know how to find out about it. I've heard from people that there's a great punk scene but they're all older than i am so it's hard for me to get in. I could maybe do politics but I doubt I'd ever stop making fun of Bush...that loser....but anyways yeah I donno man...

whyvern
12-04-2003, 10:35 PM
lazybassist, empty your PM box.

Yes you're name won't be used, you can give an alias.

Lead4Tardigrade, you can write too. boy we're gonna have alot of colums.

Not all of you will be able to have a monthly collum.

Boston Punkcore
12-05-2003, 10:18 PM
336 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01608-1506
508-757-7779 (Ask for Lloyd)

This is like a hip-hop/reggae dance club, but saturday nights this guy Lloyd holds a showcase of local bands. Any band that asks can play, but veteran local bands get seniorety.

speaking of shows, tomorrow:
Sat 12/6 - These Lies, Dead Pedestrians, The Sarcastics, AIDS, and Public Uproar @ Club Marque 336 Main St. Worcester MA Doors at 5, $7, All Ages, 21+ to drink

f<e>uck the 18 inches of snow, if you're anywhere in New England and you miss this show you're a cunt and you need to die.

whyvern
12-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Boston Punkcore
336 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01608-1506
508-757-7779 (Ask for Lloyd)

This is like a hip-hop/reggae dance club, but saturday nights this guy Lloyd holds a showcase of local bands. Any band that asks can play, but veteran local bands get seniorety.

speaking of shows, tomorrow:
Sat 12/6 - These Lies, Dead Pedestrians, The Sarcastics, AIDS, and Public Uproar @ Club Marque 336 Main St. Worcester MA Doors at 5, $7, All Ages, 21+ to drink

f<e>uck the 18 inches of snow, if you're anywhere in New England and you miss this show you're a cunt and you need to die.

JESUS HAS RETURNED :down:

freebirdisepic
12-06-2003, 11:27 PM
Making stickers is super easy. You can buy (or get by any other means) the stuff from office places (Staples, Office Max) and design whatever you want to put on the sticker and just print em out. Depending on what you want, you may have to cut them, but that's about it.

Lead4Tardigrade
12-13-2003, 12:11 AM
There's a punk show coming up on January 16th with a band called Eighty-D from Milwaukee. They're playing with Antifreeze and 52metro at the rave in downtown milwaukee. It's 8 dollars to get in at the door. They're pretty good bands. They're kinda pop-punk but a little heavier than some shi<e>tty stuff say BLINK. But yeah they're not bad. The venue info is below:

2401 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
(414) 342-RAVE

I'll probably be there so definitely check 'em out.

Their websites are:

www.eighty-d.com
http://www.macromusic.com/Antifreeze/home.html
http://www.52metro.com/#

Also-whyvern-how's that zine comin' along? I might be able to get a good local review in about some bands n the such. Maybe a few interviews or whatever. Let me know some more info about it too thanks dude.

whyvern
12-13-2003, 12:31 AM
There's a punk show coming up on January 16th with a band called Eighty-D from Milwaukee. They're playing with Antifreeze and 52metro at the rave in downtown milwaukee. It's 8 dollars to get in at the door. They're pretty good bands. They're kinda pop-punk but a little heavier than some shi<e>tty stuff say BLINK. But yeah they're not bad. The venue info is below:

2401 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
(414) 342-RAVE

I'll probably be there so definitely check 'em out.

Their websites are:

www.eighty-d.com
http://www.macromusic.com/Antifreeze/home.html
http://www.52metro.com/#

Also-whyvern-how's that zine comin' along? I might be able to get a good local review in about some bands n the such. Maybe a few interviews or whatever. Let me know some more info about it too thanks dude.

well here's the thing about the zine.

And I'm just annoucing it now.

We're gonna put it on hold untill next month. We don't have enough submitted as of now, and my record label is starting out and is releasing a sampler, and that is taking up alot of my time. AND to top it off, my family isn't doing to well at this time of the year (because of my brother), so I have to spend some time with them. But I will try and get as much work on the zine as possible. January is probably a better month to start it in anyway, because all of you will be fresh from X-mas break and you'll have new ideas.

The Sampler is comming out monday, if you want to sell it in your area, PM me.

Sorry I had to put the zine on hold, but there are ALOT of personal issues going on, and my family isn't doing to well now as I said before, but we will be OK and the zine will be back on schedule and in print this January.

Thanks for all of your support.

Here's a list of the tracks on the sampler:

1. Oi Oi Boots - The Velisha
2. Ante Ęternum - Knaeph
3. Dark Day - The Disclosures
4. Communist Love Song - The NRA
5. Don't CallI It Love - Drag Down First (this track may change depending on what they give me)
6. In Need Of The Heliotrope - Knaeph
7. Live Hard, Live Fas t- The Velisha
8. Nightmare - The NRA
9. Atheism - The Disclosures
10. Keep - Upstuck
11. DFI/DHX - Knaeph
12. Sex and Violence - The NRA
13. Threatened - The Velisha
14. Ska Song - The Disclosures
15. Heroin - The NRA

oh P.S. I hope the Velisha don't mind that I put them down to be on the CD.

If you have a problem with it Berlioz, I can take you off of it.

Lead4Tardigrade
12-13-2003, 12:34 AM
well here's the thing about the zine.

And I'm just annoucing it now.

We're gonna put it on hold untill next month. We don't have enough submitted as of now, and my record label is starting out and is releasing a sampler, and that is taking up alot of my time. AND to top it off, my family isn't doing to well at this time of the year (because of my brother), so I have to spend some time with them. But I will try and get as much work on the zine as possible. January is probably a better month to start it in anyway, because all of you will be fresh from X-mas break and you'll have new ideas.

The Sampler is comming out monday, if you want to sell it in your area, PM me.

Sorry I had to put the zine on hold, but there are ALOT of personal issues going on, and my family isn't doing to well now as I said before, but we will be OK and the zine will be back on schedule and in print this January.

Thanks for all of your support.

Here's a list of the tracks on the sampler:

2. Ante Ęternum - Knaeph
4. Communist Love Song - The NRA
5. Don't CallI It Love - Drag Down First (this track may change depending on what they give me)
6. In Need Of The Heliotrope - Knaeph
7. Live Hard, Live Fas t- The Velisha
8. Nightmare - The NRA
9. Atheism - The Disclosures
10. Keep - Upstuck
11. DFI/DHX - Knaeph
12. Sex and Violence - The NRA
13. Threatened - The Velisha
14. Ska Song - The Disclosures
15. Heroin - The NRA

oh P.S. I hope the Velisha don't mind that I put them down to be on the CD.

If you have a problem with it Berlioz, I can take you off of it.

Hey man that's fine take however much time u need to sort stuff out. No hurry dude. I'd like a few samplers sent here if possible but I donno where to sell 'em really....

whyvern
12-13-2003, 01:36 PM
New Track Listing for Comp:

2. Ante Ęternum - Knaeph
4. Don't CallI It Love - Drag Down First (this track may change depending on what they give me)
5. In Need Of The Heliotrope - Knaeph
6. Live Hard, Live Fas t- The Velisha
7. Nightmare - The NRA
8. Atheism - The Disclosures
9. Keep - Upstuck
10. DFI/DHX - Knaeph
11. Sex and Violence - The NRA
12. Threatened - The Velisha
13. Ska Song - The Disclosures

if anyone else has a band and wants to be on the comp, PM me and I'll look at you, the songs are due sunday.

Berlioz97
12-13-2003, 01:49 PM
New Track Listing for Comp:

2. Ante Ęternum - Knaeph
4. Don't CallI It Love - Drag Down First (this track may change depending on what they give me)
7. Nightmare - The NRA
8. Atheism - The Disclosures
9. Keep - Upstuck
10. DFI/DHX - Knaeph
11. Sex and Violence - The NRA
12. Threatened - The Velisha
13. Ska Song - The Disclosures

if anyone else has a band and wants to be on the comp, PM me and I'll look at you, the songs are due sunday.

Cool. We got 3 songs on there. Hey, but Oi Oi Boots is a good ending song, so I don't know maybe you could make it teh last song on the CD and put our song "Threatened" first instead....(cuz that's how it is on our EP), but if not it doesn't matter, just a thought!

Either way, I'd like to get a copy of the comp. I can put my old band on the comp too if you want.

On second thought....take "Threatened" off of the CD.
keep listing same, just take Threatened off because I don't want too many of our songs on there......cuz that's like 3/4ths of our EP....

I'll send you one of my old band's songs.

whyvern
12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Cool. We got 3 songs on there. Hey, but Oi Oi Boots is a good ending song, so I don't know maybe you could make it teh last song on the CD and put our song "Threatened" first instead....(cuz that's how it is on our EP), but if not it doesn't matter, just a thought!

Either way, I'd like to get a copy of the comp. I can put my old band on the comp too if you want.

On second thought....take "Threatened" off of the CD.
keep listing same, just take Threatened off because I don't want too many of our songs on there......cuz that's like 3/4ths of our EP....

I'll send you one of my old band's songs.

yeah, that'd be great, I'll take Threatened off, and I'll put what you send me on. I'll move Oi Oi Boots to the end too, and I'll open up with the DDF song.

Berlioz97
12-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Yah, here's links to my old band. Put them on the comp too.
Just list the name as Berly and the Spammers.
I'll pm you the details.
Dude, empty your PM box.

whyvern
12-13-2003, 02:51 PM
its clean

XQuickDeathX
12-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey Whyvern, clean out your PM box, i wanna sell some of those cds at our shows

MiDDiE06
12-14-2003, 12:11 PM
hey whyvern, on the comp, u spelled my bands name wrong.
its The Discourses not the Disclosures

lazybassist
12-14-2003, 12:49 PM
middie06 can i get a link to your site?

Anyways there's this place caled Underground Bluz or something like that around here, good place, saw only one band there. but its a tiny place.

Undergound Bluz
In publix plaza on university boulevard

MiDDiE06
12-14-2003, 12:51 PM
our site is www.thediscourses.cjb.net

Berlioz97
12-14-2003, 01:22 PM
that samler is a Moronic Records sapmler? Am I correct?
But anyway, we're not sure if we're gonna sign, because we're also being looked at by a local hardcore label, but you may use those songs for your sampler.....I'd like a copy for myself.

whyvern
12-14-2003, 02:55 PM
OK, I fixed the names and everything and the sampler goes into print today.

yes it is a moronic records sampler. Upstuck will not be on it, they couldn't get the live recroding to work out.

If I'm going to send it to you, you need to see about getting a P.O. Box for a bit, I'm not sure how much it costs, but it would be a good Idea for all of you to get one because you are in bands and you need an address to put on your albums anyway.

MiDDiE06
12-14-2003, 03:42 PM
what is the final track listing?

whyvern
12-14-2003, 04:56 PM
1. Rock n' Roll Demon- Berly & The Spammers
2. Ante Ęternum - Knaeph
3. Dark Day - The Discourses
4. Don't Call It Love - Drag Down First
7. Nightmare - The NRA
8. Atheism - The Discourses
9. DFI/DHX - Knaeph
10. Sex and Violence - The NRA
11. Ska Song - The Discourses
12. The Real Punk Blues - Berly & The Spammers
13. Oi Oi Boots - The Velisha

katramone
12-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Check out scattertheashes.com. They are an awesome new band out of Nashville signed to epitaph just recently and he did it just the way you're suggesting. There are quite a few local bands hitting the scene out here. Here's a list:
Oliver's Army
Paper Tiger
Trauma Team
Scatter the Ashes
Bum Shoe (I think they just changed their name though)

These are just the best though. There are some easy to get places in Ashland city to play but I don't know if you really want to go through the trouble of getting here.
Kat

whyvern
12-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by katramone
Check out scattertheashes.com. They are an awesome new band out of Nashville signed to epitaph just recently and he did it just the way you're suggesting. There are quite a few local bands hitting the scene out here. Here's a list:
Oliver's Army
Paper Tiger
Trauma Team
Scatter the Ashes
Bum Shoe (I think they just changed their name though)

These are just the best though. There are some easy to get places in Ashland city to play but I don't know if you really want to go through the trouble of getting here.
Kat

I love oliver's army, i have their CD its great.

Berlioz97
12-14-2003, 09:03 PM
1. Rock n' Roll Demon- Berly & The Spammers
2. Ante Ęternum - Knaeph
3. Dark Day - The Discourses
4. Don't Call It Love - Drag Down First
7. Nightmare - The NRA
8. Atheism - The Discourses
9. DFI/DHX - Knaeph
10. Sex and Violence - The NRA
11. Ska Song - The Discourses
12. The Real Punk Blues - Berly & The Spammers
13. Oi Oi Boots - The Velisha

Take that Real Punk Blues song off of there, its total sh<e>it.
And which version of Rock n Roll Demon do you have? The one with Guitar, Drums and Electric bass, or the one with just Guitar and Stand-Up Bass, because I want the one with drums in it on the Sampler. Take real punk blues off, its sh<e>it! Download Banjo Pete if you need another song.

I e-mailed you the urls yesterday.

whyvern
12-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Take that Real Punk Blues song off of there, its total sh<e>it.
And which version of Rock n Roll Demon do you have? The one with Guitar, Drums and Electric bass, or the one with just Guitar and Stand-Up Bass, because I want the one with drums in it on the Sampler. Take real punk blues off, its sh<e>it! Download Banjo Pete if you need another song.

I pmed you the urls.

oh ****, its already in print.

I have rocknroll demon with drums and bass.

I'll make a correct version of it to ship elsewhere

and I'll put banjo pete on that. :cheers:

MiDDiE06
12-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by lazybassist
just finished making my bands site. if you want us to ad you to our links or you want to put us in your links let us know. our logo's on the first page. you can PM me with the info or just put it here and if you have a logo that could work too.

Restricted Sedition (http://www.geocities.com/restrictedsedition/RESTRICTEDSEDITION.html?1071461774978)
ill link you guys up if u link us up.
our site is www.thediscourses.cjb.net

whyvern
12-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Allrighty, here's the story on the comp.

I pressed like 25 of them to sell in Huntsville, and they ALL sold out within like the first 2 hours of being on sale. I didn't make enough money to press more, because I was being a dumb**** and charged only 2 dollars, so for the next one (which will come out sometime in February), I will charge 5 dollars, it will have more bands on it, and be better quality.

Also from what I understand The Discources will most likely have an EP out by then, as will Upstuck, and my band (The NRA).

Oh and if any of you wanna get a deal with us to put out your records, just post it here, because for some reason, my PM box is always ****ing up, or e-mail me @ thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com

JH013
12-15-2003, 09:48 PM
woah this thread is pretty cool... i gotta read some of this stuff later, but heres the rock club where all the big bands and local bands play.

The Masquerade
695 North Ave Atlanta, Ga 30308
Phone 404.577.8178 Fax 404 577.7460

local bands can also get gigs at the hard rock downtown...

Lead4Tardigrade
12-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey Whyvern: Once I get my band going n get some songs recorded n such maybe you could put out a record. We're gonna be kinda grungey....not so "punk" i suppose but I may send you a demo if we ever record.

whyvern
12-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Hey Whyvern: Once I get my band going n get some songs recorded n such maybe you could put out a record. We're gonna be kinda grungey....not so "punk" i suppose but I may send you a demo if we ever record.

we sign all kinds of bands, not just punk.

We are thinking of signing this guy who does all this progressive stuff with guitar and is a solo artist and is ****ing amazing who is from huntsville.

So basically, yeah most likely, if you get a demo, we can put out your record.

Berlioz97
12-16-2003, 12:35 AM
Allrighty, here's the story on the comp.

I pressed like 25 of them to sell in Huntsville, and they ALL sold out within like the first 2 hours of being on sale. I didn't make enough money to press more, because I was being a dumb**** and charged only 2 dollars, so for the next one (which will come out sometime in February), I will charge 5 dollars, it will have more bands on it, and be better quality.

Also from what I understand The Discources will most likely have an EP out by then, as will Upstuck, and my band (The NRA).

Oh and if any of you wanna get a deal with us to put out your records, just post it here, because for some reason, my PM box is always ****ing up, or e-mail me @ thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com

Seriously dude?
Wow! Good stuff. Oh, clear the "sent" folder of your pm box.

The new copies will not have real punk blues, am I correct?

whyvern
12-16-2003, 09:08 AM
yeah the new one will have Banjo Pete instead, I'll IM someone in the discourses tonight and them that one.

My PM is clean now, sorry for all that :cheers:

B-wiZe
12-16-2003, 07:29 PM
when is the new one coming out? cuz im getting a bass for christmas and im planning to add bass to dfi dxh and heliotrope

whyvern
12-16-2003, 09:12 PM
late February.

are you gonna have an album released anytime soon?

we can put it out when you do :cheers:

Lead4Tardigrade
12-16-2003, 09:49 PM
we sign all kinds of bands, not just punk.

We are thinking of signing this guy who does all this progressive stuff with guitar and is a solo artist and is ****ing amazing who is from huntsville.

So basically, yeah most likely, if you get a demo, we can put out your record.

Cool beans. Plus I need to know how to record seeing as how I've never done it...I know we'll probably use a 4-track type thing but I'm lost on how to use it. We'll see tho...thanks again Whyvern.

B-wiZe
12-17-2003, 04:40 PM
late February.

are you gonna have an album released anytime soon?

we can put it out when you do :cheers:

kk cool so ive got some time

about the album, ill think about it, because that would be beyond awesome. you rule :D

btw, whats the link to the moronic records site?

whyvern
12-17-2003, 04:43 PM
moronicrecords.tripod.com

Lead4Tardigrade
12-17-2003, 11:11 PM
moronicrecords.tripod.com

The site didn't work for me. Anyone else that this happened to?

whyvern
12-18-2003, 08:22 AM
we go over the bandwith alot, alot of people visit it.

Lead4Tardigrade
12-18-2003, 11:41 PM
we go over the bandwith alot, alot of people visit it.

I've tried it a lot n it says that the page doesn't exist at tripod or somethin'....i don't know tho....

pyschoscooter
12-18-2003, 11:53 PM
alright i got some local bands worth mentioning....

Argyle.... Great band nothing else needs to be said.... www.argyleband.com (http://www.argyleband.com)

Farewell.... Another grandastic band.... www.farewellband.com (http://www.farewellband.com)

The Vermin... Best pop-punk band ever, period.... www.thevermin.net

more stuff about the cleveland and akron scene can be found at these sites...

www.clepunk.com

www.clevelandpunkscene.com

www.punkcleveland.com

www.ohms.nu

well thats all for now, i may post some venues later

whyvern
12-19-2003, 12:00 AM
http://moronicrecords.tripod.com

try that.

Lead4Tardigrade
12-19-2003, 07:00 PM
http://moronicrecords.tripod.com

try that.

Ah sh<e>it i was typing in the www. before it. Thanks man.

Berlioz97
12-19-2003, 07:04 PM
hey whyvern, feel free to put one of the "Berly and the Spammers" songs on your record label website if you want, after all, its on the sampler.....

rawfer
12-23-2003, 12:09 AM
there's a new band in philly called .mekka, they're really good, they havent recorded anything yet, but their first show rocked! go to their website: http://www.mekkamusic.cjb.net/

pidevice
12-26-2003, 12:49 PM
someone could put together a tour of the mid-south (usa) off the imformation in this thread.
in nashville:
EXIT/INN 2208 Elliston Place (615)321-4400
THE END 2210 Elliston Place (615)321-4457
THE MERCY LOUNGE 1 Cannery Row (615)251-3020
THE MUSE 835 4th Ave. S. (615)251-0190

chrus
12-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Kenora is overun by metalheads, there's this little band called Militia who are gonna be big soon. Go Slayer.

lazybassist
12-31-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by pidevice
anyone making a fanzine- here is a contribution. i am trying to get a fanzine started myself and thought the best thing i could do is make a comic strip, i'll write reviews of shows too. since every time i try to get a band together it all falls to sh*t!
p.s. any constructive critiques are appreciated.

First of all, is that suposed to be funny?

Seccond of all, could you explain it I'm just not getting it

pidevice
01-01-2004, 10:02 AM
if i explain it would be even less funny, i guess. i was trying to show this thing that happened. maybe if i added dialogue it would make more sense, like have the guy in the convertible saying some nasty stuff to the punk chicks. any way there's lots of places people could get interesting stuff to put in their 'zines- i'll delete it if more people think it's stupid.

I deleted the comic to save space in this thread. It is something I am working on for a fanzine- I offered to share; so anybody who is doing a fanzine and might like some uncopyrighted original art work can PM me.

JH013
01-02-2004, 12:49 AM
^ your a good drawer.

Bloopers
01-02-2004, 12:44 PM
http://www.uninspiredempire.com/

Awesome band.

agreth
01-17-2004, 04:38 AM
in tokyo i've only come across a couple of good punk bands... uh a band called 'endless confusion' and a band called 'the seamonkeys' or something like that

pyschoscooter
01-17-2004, 11:25 AM
alrighty i got some more bands for ya to check out:

Dropgun, boot in the face good ol punk rock n roll, you better watch out to cause all the guys work for the police department www.dropgun.com

Johnny Psycho, psychobilly!!!!!!!! what else can i say? these guys are amazing www.johnnypsycho.com

Sidecar, good ****, probably for more of the pop-punkers though www.sidecarrock.com or maybe its www.sidecarrocks.com

thats all for now:D

madfingers
01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Alright, here's somre more local bands from the Cleveland scene, (not the crapp punk-with-feelings from Akron :p: )

Chrome Kickers-Excellent band, I would probably describe them as hardcore, excellent show, and the guys are all really cool. I'm decent friends with the guitarist whose dad was the guitarist on the Pagans.

www.chromekicker.com

Check out the mp3s on the site, and ask me if you want some more of their songs and I'll send them to you via email as soon as I pick up their new comp and LP.

The Pagans-Another goodie and an oldie, were once one of the msot dominant bands in the Cleveland scene. And are still pretty popular. Good article on how much of a shiithole used to be o their page too.

http://www.geocities.com/pagan_pages/

Chaotic Alliance-Oh yeah these guys are about as good as local Street punk gets. These guys are all awesome guys. If you're ever in the area I recommend checking them out. They've been playing with some really big names recently too so if you hate them you can always check out The Unseen or the Buzz****s in the same show or something.

www.jynxtpunks.com

The Narcoleptics X5-another great band that I have heard as a killer show. They have 4 albums out and they are all pretty decent and enjoyable.

http://www.thenarcolepticsx5.com/

Ok that's all you get for now.

And if you are ever in the greater Cleveland area, try to make it to Willoughby, Lakewood, Cleveland Heights or Coventry. Always punks about.

pyschoscooter
01-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Alright, here's somre more local bands from the Cleveland scene, (not the crapp punk-with-feelings from Akron :p:

The Pagans-Another goodie and an oldie, were once one of the msot dominant bands in the Cleveland scene. And are still pretty popular. Good article on how much of a shiithole used to be o their page too.

http://www.geocities.com/pagan_pages/

yes the pagans are the best band ever coming out of cleveland, besides the dead boys, everyone go check out the dead boys they have stuff on kazaa download now!

whyvern
01-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by agreth
in tokyo i've only come across a couple of good punk bands... uh a band called 'endless confusion' and a band called 'the seamonkeys' or something like that

Tokyo is full of good punk bands, give me like a week and I'll have a huge list for you, of bands, record labels and websites. Do you read japanese?

XQuickDeathX
01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Tokyo is full of good punk bands, give me like a week and I'll have a huge list for you, of bands, record labels and websites. Do you read japanese?

:cheers: Japanese punk bands rock. One of the reasons i decided to take japanese as a language in school.

abd kid
01-24-2004, 05:52 PM

ok, this reply is about 5 pages late, but im from the lansing, MI area, and i'd be interested, as well.

abd kid
01-24-2004, 06:19 PM
ok some bands from Lansing Area....

Hyperbole- On their national tour, go to www.ilovehyperbole.com for tour dates and loco's....
*great guys, kinda pop-punk, and a little hardcore emo.

Falling Forward- www.fallingforward.cjb.net
*mostly ska/punk, great band.

Red December- www.reddecember.cjb.net
*hardcore emo/punk...lots of screaming.

Jonesday- www.jonesday.cjb.net
*great guys in this band, pretty punk/emo....great parts and stuff.

Someday Soon- www.somedaysoon.cjb.net
*there was talk of this band breakin up, dont know for sure. Hardcore punk.

i'll add more later....

pyschoscooter
02-03-2004, 05:12 PM
alright i got some more bands mofos

how about no- melodic punk band from cleveland, puts on a great show and covers misfits songs sometimes!! www.howaboutno.com

Trendy-once again a band for people who enjoy pop-punk, they put on a really energetic and loud performance over all goood and catchy **** www.trendypunks.com

timetraveller02
02-15-2004, 07:11 AM
I'm gonna do a london tour:

The ballroom, the underworld, the garage, back to the ballroom... yeh :D

pidevice
02-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Good Luck, have fun timetraveler!

There is a tradition in Nashville of using local community access cable for shameless self promotion. A band I know named the Groove Krickets made a show called 'Dave on the Loose' it's a narrative of a guy trying to break into the music business in Nashville, wrapped around local videos from the punk/altenitive/rock genres. One cool thing, community acces all over the country share with each other- Dave's been recognized on the street as far away as NYC! There's another one called 'The Bat Poet with Bad Boy Breeze' it is the stupidest thing I love; and another one with a mad scientist. Both of those feature both videos and bands in the studio. Do any of you cats ever use/see cable community access t.v.?
Just a fun idea I wanted to share.
My fanzine will be going into production soon, my girl Kat has written a review of a new local skatepark/venue named Rocketown, we met a punk girl named Shorty who is a great photographer and wants to help, I'm using a paraphrased version of my review of the fear show that I wrote for this forum, and I have several episodes of my comic'The Rhinestone Mines' ready.
When we have everything ready, we plan on the first edition being free-then we'll see what kind of feedback we get.
I wonder sometimes if my days of being in bands are over- the scene is still an important part of my life, I'm not happy unless I am involved.
here are some mid-tenn area bands I've senn lately that I thought were very good:
Oliver's Army
Pink Spiders
Five Foot Annie (How About No reminds me of them,thanks psychoscooter)
Entropy- so good that my daughter and I want to start an Entropy tribute band and we will call it 'The Second Law of Thermodynamics' haha
these are the ones I don't want to miss, the ones I went twice to see this month-
Scatter the Ashes,: http://www.scattertheashes.com

whyvern
02-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by timetraveller02
I'm gonna do a london tour:

The ballroom, the underworld, the garage, back to the ballroom... yeh :D

are you gonna be playing anytime between May 29 and June 13?

I'm gonna be in London from the 9th of June to the 13th. So anything you play on the nights of the 9th through 12th I could go see!

Other parts in England, I'll be, I'm not sure of the itenerary as of yet.

pyschoscooter
02-24-2004, 11:19 PM
alrighty folks more bands, give some feedback on some of the bands ive posted please...:D

Seven Letter Diaries, great screamo heavy emotional and its got lots of screamage for you emo kids www.7ld.cjb.net also songs are avalaible at www.purevolume.com/sevenletterdiaries

Codie, this is a band i recently saw at a bowling alley, their from missouri and are more of the pop-punk persuasion, but damn good nonetheless www.codierock.com

One Fourth Awesome, screamo goodness another emotional band, they play great shows www.onefourthawesome.com and www.purevolume.com/onefourthawesome

s'all for now, tell me what you think

pidevice
02-24-2004, 11:52 PM
I like Codie Rock, I'm checking out 'Stuck' right now. I bet they would be great live.
I really liked How About No better, though it's a sort of similar sound.

pyschoscooter
02-25-2004, 04:39 PM
I like Codie Rock, I'm checking out 'Stuck' right now. I bet they would be great live.
I really liked How About No better, though it's a sort of similar sound.

codie was great live, the guitarist was a really fun guy

i love how about no, they are really good, im gonna catch one of their shows on april 17th

EDIT: another good band, 31 days, they are just good.. they need no label, check them out at www.31daysrock.cjb.net Here some music at www.soundclick.com/31days or www.purevolume.com/31days

TiMaRmStRoNg101
02-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Is there anyone here from Newfoundland? cause thre is this awesome punk band called renfield 13. and they have some great tunes. their not really known that well, but their an awesome band.

XQuickDeathX
03-03-2004, 08:55 AM
I've heard of Red December before, has anyone here heard of Bottom line? Their From Cincinatti, and we have a few good bands here in Columbus too. Commonwealth, Bill Who? and a few others.

sargasm
03-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Hey david, you still doing that zine? i might think of writing something for it if you are

whyvern
03-04-2004, 12:33 AM
everyone here at the Moronic Complex decided that the zine will have to wait untill fall for it to be effective. Although, one or two spring Issues might be a good idea.

I'll talk to all the printin' folk round these parts and get opinions.

madfingers
03-06-2004, 01:22 PM
everyone here at the Moronic Complex decided that the zine will have to wait untill fall for it to be effective. Although, one or two spring Issues might be a good idea.

I'll talk to all the printin' folk round these parts and get opinions.

I gotta Cleveland scene report whenever you want. Plus I can nail a quick interview with Chaotic Alliance and Curt DiGidio.

Just give me the word.

Oh, but do it over AIM.

max
03-06-2004, 03:00 PM
http://www.punkinscotland.co.uk/Home.HTML

A link for loads of punk bands in scotland.......

katramone
03-06-2004, 10:08 PM
I interviewed Scatter the Ashes and reviewed a recent show in the Nashvegas area; so, if you want an article on either, just drop me a line.
Kat

whyvern
03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
sorry to be a jerk about the zine, but could everyone wait untill around April 7 to submit stuff for a may issue.

My girlfriend just broke up with me, and she gives me **** about everything all day. She told alot of people that I beat her (which is false) so alot of people don't talk to me anymore that used to, so I'm having a hard time a school. I'm also having trouble finding motiviation for a lot of things, so I'm gonna try and motivate myself again.

I'm going to Texas for springbreak and things will hopefully get better after that. Hopefully this summer at Kutz I'll meet a nice girl or I'll meet someone in England.

Sorry about this... I'm just not doin so well.

pidevice
03-11-2004, 09:18 AM
hang in there whyvern. we love you.
on a similar note, the zine Kat and I are making has also pretty much gone on hiatus too. Organizing it took longer than I planned, now it's the busy season for both construction and Artisan fairs, my 2 main sources of income.
I feel your frustration, man.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
03-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Yah, hang in there Whyvern.

Yep, thats about all i gotta say.

abd kid
03-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by XQuickDeathX
I've heard of Red December before, has anyone here heard of Bottom line? Their From Cincinatti, and we have a few good bands here in Columbus too. Commonwealth, Bill Who? and a few others.

the red december from michigan? crazy. PM me back if thats who you're talkin bout.

Berlioz97
03-16-2004, 08:57 PM
sorry to be a jerk about the zine, but could everyone wait untill around April 7 to submit stuff for a may issue.

My girlfriend just broke up with me, and she gives me **** about everything all day. She told alot of people that I beat her (which is false) so alot of people don't talk to me anymore that used to, so I'm having a hard time a school. I'm also having trouble finding motiviation for a lot of things, so I'm gonna try and motivate myself again.

I'm going to Texas for springbreak and things will hopefully get better after that. Hopefully this summer at Kutz I'll meet a nice girl or I'll meet someone in England.

Sorry about this... I'm just not doin so well.

Don't worry dude. You can always move over here to California and you an dyour band can be the house band over at Zapp's Park and open up for us on our monthly shows at that little bar that we've kind of made our home at and started having regular punk shows there....(haha, like when you told me about Alabama, remember?)
Our CD comes out in a couple months. It'll be for sale on our site. It'll make you feel better! :D

whyvern
03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Don't worry dude. You can always move over here to California and you an dyour band can be the house band over at Zapp's Park and open up for us on our monthly shows at that little bar that we've kind of made our home at and started having regular punk shows there....(haha, like when you told me about Alabama, remember?)
Our CD comes out in a couple months. It'll be for sale on our site. It'll make you feel better! :D

yeah definetaly dude.

I can't wait to get that CD.

Hey Tarakany! is gonna try and do a US tour next summer or this summer, I don't know what their exact plans are, but the lead singer has mentioned stuff about it with me. How cool would it be if you guys played with them?

Berlioz97
03-16-2004, 11:27 PM
yeah definetaly dude.

I can't wait to get that CD.

Hey Tarakany! is gonna try and do a US tour next summer or this summer, I don't know what their exact plans are, but the lead singer has mentioned stuff about it with me. How cool would it be if you guys played with them?
Well, ask him if he's hitting the west coast.
Especially the San Francisco, Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, San Diego areas.

We might travel down to north hollywood in May.....:D

Berlioz97
03-16-2004, 11:28 PM
oh by the way whyvern, maybe you could review us in your zine one of these days when our CD is done.

whyvern
03-16-2004, 11:31 PM
oh by the way whyvern, maybe you could review us in your zine one of these days when our CD is done.

They'll definetally do the whole west coast, they want a national tour!

And we'll definetally review your CD, good luck in Hollyweird.

Berlioz97
03-16-2004, 11:47 PM
They'd better come to Fresno. Then I'll try and book them, or at least try to get the opening spot.....

whyvern
03-17-2004, 12:16 AM
They'd better come to Fresno. Then I'll try and book them, or at least try to get the opening spot.....

I'm going to say it's safe to say they will probably come to Fresno, if they are comming to Huntsville, Alabama.

But they are comming here inbetween two big cities and they wanna see what a smaller town in America is like too.

I don't know where they'd play though... the Flying Monkey may get an AGE LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the last really good all ages venue. But my mom knows this guy who's trying to turn this amusement park thingy into an all ages, no-alchohol venue.

Maybe kids won't drink at this one and **** **** up with beer like they do at every other venue.

Berlioz97
03-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Fresno is between SF and LA. So we'll get them. ANy place I can hear mp3s?

MiDDiE06
03-17-2004, 06:34 PM
i dont know if anyone cares, but in a few days, we will but a few videos of our live performance on our website, the site is www.skepticyouth.cjb.net

Publicservices
03-17-2004, 07:46 PM
I shuch an idiot. I practly have a recording studio in my garage!

Berlioz97
03-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MiDDiE06
i dont know if anyone cares, but in a few days, we will but a few videos of our live performance on our website, the site is www.skepticyouth.cjb.net

I care. That sounds awesome. :cheers:

MiDDiE06
03-17-2004, 09:27 PM
^dude, i just listened to LOS CREEPERS, and they are amazing, everyone here should check them out..they have a cool original sound, once i get the money, im gonna buy one of their cd's (and once their merchendise page will start working)

Berlioz97
03-19-2004, 12:49 PM
yeah...they are cool guys. and funnier than sh<e>it on stage.

timetraveller02
03-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I think my Band's going for a London venue tour following the release of our single (Chemical Imbalance / I'm not yours)

I was thinking throwing t-shirts into the audience or something. And goody bags with stickers, picks, condoms (you can actually get those printed with your band's logo on) patches and the single or something...

Dan R
03-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I care. That sounds awesome. :cheers:

hehe yeah I am the one that is makeing the DVD :cheers:

ABEC100
04-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Punto-G (g spot :rolleyes: )

http://www.puntog.tk/

Samy tiene un borreguin (Samy has a little lamb)

http://www.samytieneunborreguin.tk/

ok, so there you go two good mexican local punk bands. check them out, even though you might not understand them :p:

madfingers
04-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I've been finding a lot of good street and hardcore bands from around the Toronto area recently, so although that's not where I live I thought I'd tell you guys about it anyways.

Action-I already made a thread about these guys.

www.actionpunks.com

The Hidden-Another good street/hardcore band from the same area. Their site has some mp3's on it.

www.thehiddenoi.cjb.net

The Antics-Not a whole lot of you will like these guys. They are VERY hardcore street, only recommended for that avid street fans.

www.antics.tk

I'll have more later

Enjoy

whyvern
04-06-2004, 06:04 PM
I've been finding a lot of good street and hardcore bands from around the Toronto area recently, so although that's not where I live I thought I'd tell you guys about it anyways.

Action-I already made a thread about these guys.

www.actionpunks.com

The Hidden-Another good street/hardcore band from the same area. Their site has some mp3's on it.

www.thehiddenoi.cjb.net

The Antics-Not a whole lot of you will like these guys. They are VERY hardcore street, only recommended for that avid street fans.

www.antics.tk

I'll have more later

Enjoy

You'll like Career Suicide too.

Try and find the Sars 7"

madfingers
04-06-2004, 06:07 PM
You'll like Career Suicide too.

Try and find the Sars 7"

Do they gotta website?

Nevermind, I got it.

http://www3.telus.net/marfar/cs/

Just to show other people.

Berlioz97
04-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Local Bands from Fresno, CA worth checking out-

The Victims- http://www.the-victims.tk
The Lost Boys- http://www.thelostboys.tk
A Bleeding Youth- http://www.ableedingyouth.com
Toxic Shock- http://www.toxicshock.org
The Velisha- http://www.velisha.com
Disgruntled Hippos- http://www.disgruntledhipposdh.com

There's some more but I can't remember their site addresses.
Just look around links sections and stuff.

MuchTheSame
04-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Against Me - http://www.againstme.net/
First Class - http://www.firstclassrocks.com/
Ashlen - http://www.ashlenrock.com/
Last Second - http://www.lastsecondmusic.com/
Break The Silence - http://www.break-the-silence.com/
Dear You - http://www.dearyouonline.com/
Eleanors Fault - http://www.eleanorsfault.com/

MuchTheSame
04-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Myopia - http://www.myopiaonline.com/
One Trick Arsenal - http://www.onetrickarsenal.com/
Much The Same - http://www.muchthesame.com/

madfingers
04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Ok fellas, I have a wonderful announcement.

We all know whyvern has been trying to get a zine together for a long time but was unable to really get it going. So we were talking and I got the idea for me and him to do an online zine.

It's still a progress in the works and we need to talk about exactly how it's gonna happen but the main jist of it is that we get anyone who want to, to write a band review, show review, editorial, WHATEVER, as long as it relates to punk. Then me and whyvern will decide which ones can make it into the final draft. We're gonna try and make it a monthly thing so we have time to get it together.

We're also gonna need everyone's email address that wants a copy. Like I said, we still need to talk about it so it's not exactly a complete thought yet.

So just let me know if any of you are interested, my AIM and email address is oogordo@aol, whyvern should be posting his later.

:cheers

Berlioz97
04-13-2004, 04:37 PM
I want a copy. berlioz96@hotmail.com maybe ya'll can review the new Velisha album once it's done...

MiDDiE06
04-13-2004, 05:40 PM
i want a copy, ill tell you my e-mail when you are on AOL

also, i can write a review, i know alot of people will do bands and Cd's, so i was thinking i could doa review on the BOOKS: American Hardcore and Salad Days :cheers:

MiDDiE06
04-13-2004, 05:49 PM
^also, my AIM is UnseenJoo

madfingers
04-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by MiDDiE06
i want a copy, ill tell you my e-mail when you are on AOL

also, i can write a review, i know alot of people will do bands and Cd's, so i was thinking i could doa review on the BOOKS: American Hardcore and Salad Days :cheers:

Yeah that sounds like a good idea.

I've added you to my list.

whyvern
04-13-2004, 10:06 PM
My e-mail is: thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com
AIM: wyvern433
MSN: thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com

So I'm international, by the way I'm encouraging as many people from outside of America, Britan and Canada to e-mail as many things as possible! Like if you live in a 3rd world country (like our good friend from Myanmar), and AWESOME article would be average life as a punk in your country, and this doesn't pretain just to kids in 3rd world countries, others write what a day in the life of your scene is like. That would be awesome!

madfingers
04-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I would like to encourage as many overall scene reports as possible also. So if you can't tink of anything to write, do a scene report including venues, bands, people, and hangouts.

I'm excited for this.

MiDDiE06
04-13-2004, 10:57 PM
is there a dead line for when the articles are do?

whyvern
04-13-2004, 11:01 PM
In 2 weeks.

sargasm
04-14-2004, 08:32 PM
I'd like a copy

jordypoo8@hotmail.com

Mabye ill review the next show i go to... but that probably wont be till mid-may so i guess it'll be for next month's issue

pyschoscooter
04-14-2004, 09:28 PM
"fingers" says that i gotta write an article, i dunno if the scene where i live is quite punk rock.. but oh well

you guys can get ahold of me on my AIM name: KrunchyBuns

Berlioz97
04-15-2004, 01:46 AM
I wrote an article for a zine once and I was banned from ever writing in that zine ever again for all the hate mail the zine recieved regarding my article.....but I'm still here and that zine only put out 1 issue....(maybe its on its 2nd issue that is supposed to come out, but I doubt it....haha)

abd kid
04-15-2004, 01:47 PM
lol.........what the HELL did you write?

Berlioz97
04-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Basically a scrutinization of the entire punk way of life and the contradictions of it as well as my perspective on those who criticize it and ended the article with a semi-irrelavant comment by the late great joe strummer.

abd kid
04-15-2004, 02:08 PM
lmao.........very nice

Berlioz97
04-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Yah....it was called "Common Misconceptions of a Punk Rocker"
It takes a lot to be banned from writing in a zine.

sargasm
04-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey you know, I could draw a comic for it if someone helped me write it

i can draw comics... but not write them

Im thinking of something fearuring a rude-boy character

Rebelw/outaCord
04-16-2004, 01:25 PM
If any band ever makes a stop in Rochester, New York here's where to contact to find a gig:

PUNK/HARDCORE SCENE
http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=731892977&cpv=1

EMO/ACOUSTIC/INDIE SCENE
http://www.b2g5.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=RochesterScenster

Major Venues in the area- Steel Music Hall, Waterstreet Music Hall, the Penny Arcade, The Bug Jar, Brighton Town Park, Genesee town park, basically any park where you can rent a lodge or any outdoor area.

descendent1
04-17-2004, 05:54 AM
hey, my band is called the One-Armed Waiters and we're from Carmel, CA. its in like central CA. one and a half hours south of san jose. anyway, i dont have any venue names, we usually just play at some youth center or some place like that, but if any bands want to play with us, PM me and i can hook something up. we play pop punk, but not like good charlotte. more like descendents and screeching weasel. our site (http://www.onearmedwaiters.com)

next time someone does a compilation cd, let me know, cause our band would like to be on it.

Berlioz97
04-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by descendent1
hey, my band is called the One-Armed Waiters and we're from Carmel, CA. its in like central CA. one and a half hours south of san jose. anyway, i dont have any venue names, we usually just play at some youth center or some place like that, but if any bands want to play with us, PM me and i can hook something up. we play pop punk, but not like good charlotte. more like descendents and screeching weasel. our site (http://www.onearmedwaiters.com)

next time someone does a compilation cd, let me know, cause our band would like to be on it.

Hey...I have actually heard of you guys before somewhere.
Have you ever played in the Fresno area?

I know I've seen you guys on some flier or heard about you somewhere before....

descendent1
04-17-2004, 11:22 PM
dude, thats awesome, considering the fact that we've never played more than 20 minutes away from our houses. no, we've never played in fresno, we're still trying to get our **** together at home before we hit the road

whyvern
04-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by descendent1

dude, I'm putting a comp out soon!

drunk in public
04-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Yay, we're starting a zine around here. Its called The Recycle. More info to come.

sargasm
05-16-2004, 03:10 PM
calgary ska/punk

hogpuncher

http://www.hogpuncher.com

I cant believe i havnt heard of them till now. Theyre awesome! im gonna go see them as soon as they play a god damn all ages show

RancidMan989
05-16-2004, 07:34 PM
a very good band from killeen is called Nikafittes...my friend alex plays bass and sings for em they are pretty good...if you like the exploited you'll love these guys.....(*killeen is next to fort hood an hour and a half north of the state capitol (Austin)*)

B-wiZe
05-17-2004, 08:14 PM
dude, I'm putting a comp out soon!

you are? through moronic records im assuming?

whyvern
05-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by B-wiZe
you are? through moronic records im assuming?

well, I was, I'm kinda looking for bands to be on it now. I plan to release it in the Fall sometime.

Ya' know let the summer wave of bands come in!

xATR3YUx
05-19-2004, 10:00 PM
I just hafta say...

Some rapper i know was talkin to me and he knows i skate and he's like "Oh yeah, you listen to 'skater' music"

I said "No, I listen to music that would make you cry!"

sargasm
05-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Thats cool

once I was talking to some hardcore kid and he had a bandana on his face and I was like "so dude whats with the bandana" and he was like "It makes me look like a cowboy"

so we had homo cowboy sex

It was hot

Wyldey Rhodes
05-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey up here in canada, waterloo/kitchener/cambridge, in ontario, that big land mass across from detroit, the scene is awesome, off the top of my head some awesome bands are: the charge, revolver, war against amy, handheld, the code, asher, and this crazy band that no one likes but i think is cool : iron ***** face, theres a bunch of shows around i dont wana get the whole list and address but if someone from around here wants to add do it, albert macormic, the registry, the shwauben club, slc (u of w) and all sorts of other places put on good shows

Lead4Tardigrade
05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
well, I was, I'm kinda looking for bands to be on it now. I plan to release it in the Fall sometime.

Ya' know let the summer wave of bands come in!

My band's recording this summer. So, if you don't still hate me, I'd like to be on this comp of yours. We're not really punk tho more like hard rock grunge kinda stuff but I think we'd fit in well. We're just not very fast or screamy. So just let me know the details about it if you'd let me be on it...

TiMaRmStRoNg101
05-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sargasm
Thats cool

once I was talking to some hardcore kid and he had a bandana on his face and I was like "so dude whats with the bandana" and he was like "It makes me look like a cowboy"

so we had homo cowboy sex

It was hot

BASTARD.. not one call.. not one e-mail.. not one message.. was I just some random cowboy hardcore kid to you???

*Cries*

although, it was really hot.

Berlioz97
05-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Hey kids,

The Velisha's new full-length album "Last Soldier" comes out June 11th.

Check on our website and we should have it for sale on interpunk in a few weeks.

http://www.velisha.com

We are distributing it DIY biznatches through our own label "Punkrocklabel".

Lead4Tardigrade
05-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey kids,

The Velisha's new full-length album "Last Soldier" comes out June 11th.

Check on our website and we should have it for sale on interpunk in a few weeks.

http://www.velisha.com

We are distributing it DIY biznatches through our own label "Punkrocklabel".

My band's first real gig is on June 11th. Anyways where can I get a copy of this?

punkah
05-30-2004, 08:51 PM
where is the biggest local scene in the us?

Hauptb&d
05-31-2004, 01:44 AM
i'd say south california

punkah
05-31-2004, 11:22 PM
SoCal sean. its called SoCal

madfingers
06-01-2004, 03:42 PM
You can't really judge what local scene is the best until you've been to dozens of them at least.

Plus different strokes for different folks.

punkah
06-01-2004, 08:40 PM
i said biggest, not best. i dont think there is a 'best' DIY scene. if it is true DIY, then it's great.

madfingers
06-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Even so, I still think you can't really judge scenes until you've been to a lot of them. Whether the best or the biggest.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM
I'd say Newfoundland.. Don't mess with the newfie punk scene!!

..oh wait, you said US.

Troy Simple
06-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Most local scenes or DIY bands are just like bands on labels. Not good and not doing anything new. Doesn't mean some aren't talented. Being a talented band and being a good band are two different things.

Local scenes are interesting things to study. At least around my area growing up because you get such a wide variety of sounds and bands and after a while other bands influence other bands in the area and yeah i just find Local/DIY scenes hilarious. Because of these bands (like most bands in general) don't go anywhere and really the only DIY bands i can respect are the ones that didnt start their band to become famous. You would be suprised how many so called DIY bands actually just want money and fame. Because thats how we are. Thats how I started out when I first picked up a guitar. Then after a few years i figured out i actually liked making music - go figure......

pyschoscooter
06-26-2004, 12:55 AM
Kensington Burglar Brigade= Good ska from my area.. fun and catchy music www.kbbska.com check those dudes and dudettes out

TheLuminousFish
07-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Eurasia from Centerville, Ohio. They are jazz fusion-esk post-rock. They really have nothing to do with punk at all.

pidevice
07-05-2004, 08:37 AM
A few pages back, I posted how punks here have been using community access cable for promotion; I found another example- The Creeping Cruds! They are affliated with a CAT channel show called Dr,Gangrene and they are awesome Misfits style horror punk. I've gone to see them twice now and will again as soon as I can.
All of them are fantastic musicians who really know how to put on a show.
Using cable access rocks, I'd love to do something like Dr.Gangrene's show which has music videos, film clips, and special guests.

here's Creeping Cruds' site:
http://creepingcruds.com/meetthecruds.htm

TiMaRmStRoNg101
07-12-2004, 11:01 PM
those guys kickass!

KerPlunk
07-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Ok well didn't read enough to see if anyone did SC,

Well New Brookland Tavern is probably the best venue in columbia

For Booking email Johnathan Dunagin at
info@newbrooklandtavern.com

it's located at
122 Gervais Str. West Columbia, SC

There is a new place opening that I'll get back to you about, but of course any places you can get down at the beach are great to play and have more draw than in columbia, and columbia's music scene is really lacking I promise. I'll get back with more when I get all the info

DumbKids
07-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Here's a Delaware venue

The Ground Floor
60 N. College Ave.
Newark DE 19711
(302)-368-2900
http://www.groundfloor.us

This place plays all kinds of rock, including punk. Now here's some Delaware bands.

The Defects
http://thedefects.cjb.net/

Clobbersaurus
http://www.clobbersaurus.com/

72 Inch Freedom
http://www.geocities.com/seventy2inchpunks/

The Radicals
http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/The_Radicals_are_****ing_dead/

Five Shot
I don't think they have a website.

I'll post more venues later.

secret_police
08-12-2004, 02:58 AM
www.sandiegopunk.com

whyvern
08-12-2004, 11:22 PM
for all you southerners:

http://www.geocities.com/thenrasucksreallybad/alabamajihadflyer1.JPG

this is in Huntsville, Alabama by the way.

Verlassen
08-13-2004, 10:01 AM
whyvern didn't you say you know the guys in the Alabama Jihad?

And is that them in the picture with the masks?

And do you have a link to any site with mp3?

Prince
08-13-2004, 12:07 PM
www.alabamajihad.tk

Verlassen
08-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Dman that sucks... the mp3's won't play.

whyvern
08-13-2004, 05:54 PM
http://www.nationofkidsrecords.com/comp

they have a song there.

whyvern
08-14-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.geocities.com/thenrasucksreallybad/lowemillshowaug21.JPG

Another punk rock show for huntsville.

In this thread... please post flyers for local shows in your area.

pidevice
08-15-2004, 08:21 AM
the latest news from Nashville:

whyvern
08-15-2004, 10:47 PM
^ Public Offence still play?

I saw them a few years ago... they were great... they're like Street-Psychobilly!

Cretin1234
08-16-2004, 12:25 AM
anyone know anything about north philadelphia scene? any small towns included. My bands really tryin to get involved but not finding anything

pidevice
08-17-2004, 06:05 AM
^ Public Offence still play?

I saw them a few years ago... they were great... they're like Street-Psychobilly!

here's the Word on that from the Cretin Grims guitarist:

'Its kinda tha same Public Offense. Bill from Random Conflict is in that band also. So he'll be playin on the 21st with RC, and then on tha 22nd with Public Offense'

2 old-school bands inbreeding sounds to me. happens a lot.

whyvern
08-17-2004, 04:49 PM
here's the Word on that from the Cretin Grims guitarist:

'Its kinda tha same Public Offense. Bill from Random Conflict is in that band also. So he'll be playin on the 21st with RC, and then on tha 22nd with Public Offense'

2 old-school bands inbreeding sounds to me. happens a lot.

yeah... my guitar teacher saw Random Conflict with their original lineup back in 1987 when they were huge in the Huntsville scene.

Unseen_hero
08-20-2004, 11:33 PM
I just checked the one link for the jihad (i've still never got a chance to hear them!) and the link didn't work. But "the body electric" are pretty good. They are from florida.

Rebelw/outaCord
08-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Rebelw/outaCord
If any band ever makes a stop in Rochester, New York here's where to contact to find a gig:

PUNK/HARDCORE SCENE
http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=731892977&cpv=1

EMO/ACOUSTIC/INDIE SCENE
http://www.b2g5.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=RochesterScenster

Major Venues in the area- Steel Music Hall, Waterstreet Music Hall, the Penny Arcade, The Bug Jar, Brighton Town Park, Genesee town park, basically any park where you can rent a lodge or any outdoor area.

I figured I should post that again. I have a typo on there too... It's Genesee Valley Park.

Anyway, around here we have a really cool DIY Scene with a lot of grind/crust influences. So many kids come to shows that usually we can give $40+ to touring bands that play, and that is definitely something we're proud of. If any bands need a stop up this way, post on one of those boards and we can hook you up.

Rochester is between Buffalo and Syracuse, NY. It's a good stop on the way to Toronto in Canadia or even Erie, PA.

This summer, there's been a lot of awesome bands that have played here, most recently:

Voetsek, Deadfall, and Black Market Fetus from 6 weeks records; Bruce Banner from SWEDEN; Damage Deposit and others from the midwest; and many, many more from all over the northeast.

Apparently Against Me! played some DIY shows around here back in the day, and Crucial Unit was here sometime within the last year as well.

Anyway sorry about all the shameless plugs... I've been setting up a couple shows lately and I want to help our scene in any way I can.:cheers:

Unseen_hero
08-23-2004, 01:15 AM
my grandparents live in pittsford right outside rochester. My friends and i are going up to cape cod to work next summer. And i'll probably end up visiting my grand parents (a bit out of the way) but maybe we'll check out a show. Or even see if we can play one...

Rebelw/outaCord
08-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Thats awesome, dude. Just drop me a line before you go and I'll give you some info on shows.

pidevice
08-24-2004, 11:39 AM
here's an article I'm working on for some local DIY mofos:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nashville rock and roll vetran and original GK drummer John Knoch is back in the band!
Member of Nashville bands Tommyrot, Party Goblin, Guilt, Paris Green,etc...; in over 25 years of rockin John has opened for such varied artists as Circle Jerks, Chuck Berry (with GK's), Meat Puppets and more.
Since forming in the late 80's, Groove Krickets have played their 80's Punk Rock-influenced tunes for crowds all over the world.
They were one of the first local bands to take advantage of Community Access TV with 'GK's on the Loose' documenting their shows and adventures in Amsterdam, Germany, The Gulf (and I aint talkin The Gulf of Mexico)-their footage of the oil fires during Operation Desert Storm were the first to be seen on American tv, and they were one of the very first American bands to play that part of the world.
Founding member The Fabulous Dave Baker remains as frontman, T.J.Blackmon has been rocking the guitar work for the Groove Krickets since the mid 90's- taking over Dave's former place in the group when Dave stepped up to take Mike Lester's place as frontman- RIP Mike! Joe Gamble has been providing solid basslines for the past 6 years.

With a new cd of tight edgy songs, The Groove Krickets will be coming soon to a venue near you!!

you can hear The Groove Krickets here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/thegroovekrickets.htm
I reccomend "Middle Class Misfortune' and 'Cold Mean B!tch'

there next show will be at The Crossroads in Huntsville AL Sept 19

whyvern
08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
here's an article I'm working on for some local DIY mofos:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nashville rock and roll vetran and original GK drummer John Knoch is back in the band!
Member of Nashville bands Tommyrot, Party Goblin, Guilt, Paris Green,etc...; in over 25 years of rockin John has opened for such varied artists as Circle Jerks, Chuck Berry (with GK's), Meat Puppets and more.
Since forming in the late 80's, Groove Krickets have played their 80's Punk Rock-influenced tunes for crowds all over the world.
They were one of the first local bands to take advantage of Community Access TV with 'GK's on the Loose' documenting their shows and adventures in Amsterdam, Germany, The Gulf (and I aint talkin The Gulf of Mexico)-their footage of the oil fires during Operation Desert Storm were the first to be seen on American tv, and they were one of the very first American bands to play that part of the world.
Founding member The Fabulous Dave Baker remains as frontman, T.J.Blackmon has been rocking the guitar work for the Groove Krickets since the mid 90's- taking over Dave's former place in the group when Dave stepped up to take Mike Lester's place as frontman- RIP Mike! Joe Gamble has been providing solid basslines for the past 6 years.

With a new cd of tight edgy songs, The Groove Krickets will be coming soon to a venue near you!!

you can hear The Groove Krickets here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/thegroovekrickets.htm
I reccomend "Middle Class Misfortune' and 'Cold Mean B!tch'

there next show will be at The Crossroads in Huntsville AL Sept 19

too bad it's a school night :( and crossroads is 21 +... ask them to try and get a show at Lowe Mill or Flying Money... www.flyingmonkeyarts.org

pidevice
08-26-2004, 06:55 AM
I was talking to dude at Crossroads, he was like 'oh yeah you gotta check out Flying Monkey, they stay pretty busy' and said that Saturday they had a show/party thing that lasted til 5:00 am.
GK's are going to try to gig there; they want get some local gigs after the Crossroads show.
I asked him about Alabama Jihad, he was like 'oh yeah I see their posters all the time!' I told him check em out.

whyvern
08-26-2004, 08:25 PM
I was talking to dude at Crossroads, he was like 'oh yeah you gotta check out Flying Monkey, they stay pretty busy' and said that Saturday they had a show/party thing that lasted til 5:00 am.
GK's are going to try to gig there; they want get some local gigs after the Crossroads show.
I asked him about Alabama Jihad, he was like 'oh yeah I see their posters all the time!' I told him check em out.

Guess who puts all those posters up :)

The best thing about the flying monkey is my parents support it, so I can go to just about any show there as long as it isn't on a school nite!

Unseen_hero
08-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Rebelw/outaCord
Thats awesome, dude. Just drop me a line before you go and I'll give you some info on shows.

buzzlikeafridge
09-10-2004, 09:53 AM
DIY Ethic for Middlesborough, UK:

(main) promotors:

Open Season Collective
www.open-season.co.uk

Soundtrack
www.thenewlevyashin.com/soundtrack

venues:

The Acklam
The Arena

bands:
Stories & Comets
www.storiesandcomets.co.uk
www.purevolume.com/storiesandcomets
Exitbyname
www.purevolume.com/exitbyname
www.exitbyname.co.uk
The New Lev Yashin
www.thenewlevyashin.co.uk
www.purevolume.com/thenewlevyashin
Zapped By A Million Volts
www.zappedbyamillionvolts.co.uk
(audio stream on site)
Whalter
www.whalter.co.uk
www.purevolume.com/whalter
Just About Done
www.jadonline.cjb.net
www.purevolume.com/justaboutdone
Shigeru
www.shigeru.me.uk
www.purevolume.com/shigeru
Payola
www.payola.tk
www.purevolume.com/payola
Ask My Cat
www.askmycat.co.uk
(audio download on site)
The Hot Quiche Conspiracy
www.hotquiche.co.uk
(audio download on site)
Burnout In The Capital
www.burnoutinthecapital.co.uk
The Snowfall Report
www.thesnowfallreport.co.uk
www.toddlerrecords.co.uk (download)
An American Obsession
www.anamericanobsession.co.uk
www.purevolume.com/anamericanobsession
What Hope Remains
www.whathoperemains.tk
www.purevolume.com/whathoperemains
The Oxfam Glamour Models
www.theoxfamglamourmodels.co.uk
www.soundclick.com/theoxfamglamourmodels
The Best Deceptions
www.thebestdeceptions.tk
www.purevolume.com/thebestdeceptions
thebestdeceptions.dmusic.com
Jetpacks For Hire
www.jetpacksforhire.co.uk
www.purevolume.com/jetpacksforhire
Days Till Jersey
www.daystilljersey.co.uk
www.purevolume.com/daystilljersey

pidevice
10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
I wrote a review for a show here in Nashville, I have little experience with writing reviews but enjoy doing it. Please PM me with any tips or constructive critisism:

Sunday afternoon was perfect weather for an outdoor show, and the fourth anniversary party for Quest Tattoos was a BLAST!! The stage was set in front of the shop with the Quest logo making a great back-drop. There was a good turn-out; many people enjoying the free food, drinks and fellowship.
Christine got us going with their tight rock, their music is non-formula enough to be unpredictable, makes you pay attention. Guitarist Stevie made a great comeback after breaking her D string, they finished with my favorite songs by them- 'Two Dead Dogs' and 'End of the World'. I've seen this band several times and look forward to the next time, they have a great time rocking and it really comes through to the audience members.
Cretin Grims played next, this five piece punk band formed this year and includes members from Ball Peen Hernia, Children Shouldn't Die, Stupid Americans, and Rally Caps. These guys have the chops; classic punk sounds played with incredible ability- loud and fast the way it oughta be!
The raffle for a $100.00 went off smoothly, only a few good natured cries of 'Arrgh it was RIGGED!!!'
Rain was threatening and the crowd seemed to be flagging a bit when L&N out of Louisville played for us, these guys have a great sound, I'll definelty be checking this band out again; super-nice guys, I hope they come back to Nashville soon.
The sky cleared up and the sun was setting when Joe Buck took the stage. He plays a vintage Gibson and a kick-drum while he sings but has a sound as big as a mountain. There were quite a few people in the crowd who had been waiting for this moment, there were a lot of people suddenly standing in front of the stage and a quiet excitement which EXPLODED when he opened with 'Evil Mother****er from Tennessee'. He played several songs and we screamed for more, if you haven't heard Joe Buck yet check him out!! The only way I can describe Joe BuckYourself is Ministry, The Cramps, Tom Waits, and old field hollers thrown in a blender and sporting a mohawk.
Everyone had a great time, THANK YOU QUEST TATTOOS!!! I'm looking forward to many more of these parties.

Christine bassist and Quest Tattoos operater Drake Crowbar books shows here in Nashville as well:
http://nashvillerawk.com/

TN_BOOTBOY
10-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Damn! that's a good show review.

waterproofpie
10-30-2004, 10:46 PM
November 27th, 2004 (Saturday) Tri-State Terror Fest
@ Oddfellows Gallery, 10 cemetary drive, Stratford CT.
Doors 2pm-12pm $13, All Ages!
With:
Blitz
FED UP!
Sub-Zero
lush life(ex iron cross and forced reality)
The Broken Heroes
The Dead Heroes
The Industry
Signs of Hope
The Midnight Creeps
Drawback
The lovely lads
Copyright Chaos
and More TBA.

I suggest anyone in the tri state area look into this...I sure am

whyvern
10-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Moronic Records is going again!!!!

our current release is straight outta Tel-Aviv:

Evil Weasel
Nice Beaver You've Got There

tracklist:

1. Bumper
2. As Long As You?d Be There
3. Stupid Summer
4. Song for the Animal Rights
5. Looking at You
6. Snorin? Bitch
7. Gone
8. What the Fuck?
9. In Your Ass
10. I Like McDonald?s
11. My Perfect Girl

They sound kinda like Screeching Weasel, Useless I.D., NOFX and a bunch of other pop-punk bands you know and love... e-mail me at thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com for a sample or if you're interested in distro.

also if you want your record released on Moronic or you want us to do an Alabama distro for your record e-mail me as well.

iwannabeyourdog
11-04-2004, 12:40 AM
Black Sails Presents: Try & Tax This!
12th November
Where:
Penrith PCYC, 100 Station St. Penrith.
Bands:
Anarchoi + chaz.h.scally + Hooray For Hate + Insombre + The Mayday Call
Time & Cost:
Doors open at 6:00pm, $6
Info:
All Ages show. Drug & Alcohol free event. This maybe Anarchoi's last show for the year, so try and make it out here. There might also be more bands confirmed for the show. Check out the forum for more updates.

Berlioz97
12-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Fresno, California's punk scene-

http://www.fresnohardcore.net

Most of the bands on that site's links section either never play shows or are broken up.
There's about 4 or 5 bands that regularly play shows. Other bands play less often....but the scene is moderate in my opinion. It is good but can be better.
Check it out for yourself.

waterproofpie
12-09-2004, 11:46 PM
www.bystanderfanzine.com Funny articles, DIY showlisting there, interviews, all that jazz

www.stepuppresents.com Info on the bigger/'ticketmaster' shows here is best found here, being that they post info on shows sometimes 2 weeks before the venues site post it

www.wakeuppunk.com This project used to be more active when the main Punk/Ska/Hardcore shows were at a different venue. But now they sponsor shows at a skate park here

http://www.albanyunderground.com/ Info on local bands.

^Good job reviving this thread, I almost forgot it was here

mtvgetofftheair
12-20-2004, 05:23 PM
my town has avsolutely no venues whatsoever what can i do if NONE of the local buisnesses in my town are willing to cooperate? please, any advice would help, im friggin desperate (ill build my own stage if i have to, just send me plans).

waterproofpie
12-20-2004, 05:37 PM
You don't need necessarily a stage to throw shows.

If you're old enough, do basement shows with flyers handed around. But if you're really dedicated (and mind me, old enough), You could always open your own venue,

TiMaRmStRoNg101
12-30-2004, 01:28 AM
My band played a few basement shows, not many people showed though lol

waterproofpie
12-30-2004, 02:50 AM
Get some mp3s of your bands! I wanna listen.

whyvern
12-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by mtvgetofftheair
my town has avsolutely no venues whatsoever what can i do if NONE of the local buisnesses in my town are willing to cooperate? please, any advice would help, im friggin desperate (ill build my own stage if i have to, just send me plans).

where do you live?

Chances are you have youth centres, Knights of Columbuses, Masonic Lodges, Elk's Lodges and the like... these all can be rented out and you should try and convince touring bands to play your town because it'd be a fun experience. You should have your own PA as well seeing as these places usually don't have them.

The first like five shows I went to were at the Knights of Columbus until they shut it down because some 9th Avenue Punk Rock shithead decided to blow vodka that he had in his mouth into a flaming stick in the middle of the mosh pit... the sherrif shut it down.... that sucked... oh well.

RancidMan989
01-10-2005, 10:35 PM
eeeeeh....^^^^don't know man... pick up the quality a bit and it should sound good....j/k it's great stuff dude

whyvern
01-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Moronic Records now does mailorder.

Evil Weasel's Nice Beaver You've Got There CD is now availible for mailorder WORLDWIDE!

e-mail me at thenrasucksreallybad@hotmail.com , the album is 5 $ US, we only take US cash so that means you'll have to send Cash in the mail. (send us like a CD and put some cash behind it, we'll gladly give you some literature or something in exchange for the mix CD of music you think is the shit... and make sure the bands aren't well known).

sweet. huh?

oh yeah... We're recording the new Sam Lewis album, he's not a punk rocker at all but it's probably gonna come out soudning like some neo-folk album... I'm sure it'll be excelent... Sam's a good friend of ours and is a really cool guy. Look out for the DNS EP this summer... along with an Alex Boyd and his Shakin' Feet Single.

There is also talk of Moronic Records buying the rights to the recordings of the former Alabama Jihad, so we can distribute them worldwide... I'll give you more info when this surfaces. We still haven't e-mailed Joshua Nothing.

johnnynemo
01-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by mtvgetofftheair

Besides checking out Knights of Columbus, Youth Centers, VFW posts and fire halls, you will find many doors open to you if you do a benefit show.

I used to put on benefit shows for the homeless or poor families in the basement of a Unitarian Church. The Unitarians are reallly cool people and if you make it $5 to get in or $4 with canned goods, you help make the Unitarians look good.

So, everyone goes home happy.

You can also try bending the truth.
Get a regular church, if there's no Unitarians near you, to do a "Youth Night" concert and book some Christian band to play with all your punk bands.
The religious guys and/or the church elders will probably hate the music, but you can hit them with Psalms 98 verse 4 which says "make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Make a loud noise" .
If they still have their panties in a bunch, just remind them that in 2nd Samuel chapter 6 verses 14-23, " King David danced naked with all his might before the Lord and was screaming his head off. When a woman complained about it, she was made barren for life."

These tactics really work and I've found that nothing scares the Jesus freaks more then when you use their own Bible against them.

Unseen_hero
01-22-2005, 11:48 PM
:haha

that's awesome, how'd you find that (don't say in the bible)

johnnynemo
01-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Unseen_hero
:haha

that's awesome, how'd you find that (don't say in the bible)

I was forced to go to church until I was 15. I would do one of two things.

1. Sneak out and get caught and get my ass kicked by Pops.

2. Find ways to discredit stupid church dogma, so I could pretend to have a "moral objection" to the teachings of the church. That way I could go to another church with my friends that was much cooler. They just watched movies and stuff while the pastor was babbling.

The church I went to believed that dancing was a sin. I showed them that passage and told them they were wrong about that and a great many things.
It raised some eyebrows, they even debated about it, but ultimately decided to let it stand.
After I stopped going, they got a younger, hipper pastor who did away with all that crap and even let some christian hardcore bands play in the youth center.

punklege
01-29-2005, 01:46 PM
most of these venues are in america, wat about the poor british people?

waterproofpie
01-29-2005, 01:48 PM
If you want venues, put them in here yourself.

color me misery
01-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Thats the god damn problem, people want things but they dont wanna work for anything ever. Its so annoying. When you build somthing with your own hands it makes the completed product even sweeter. Just do it.

anamelessolider
02-03-2005, 09:37 PM
^ true

Jello_Kobain
02-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Ok... I pretty much know how I'm going to do my whole zine hting, but I need to know how to set it up, ie. how long should it be? How do I make it? Do I ned to use special comp programs?

waterproofpie
02-13-2005, 03:40 AM
you can do it by setting up the format on your computer and printing it in portrait form. You print one copy, then you can xerox a bunch of copies. Or you could do it by hand and xerox it. You should make it as long as you need I suppose.

them_sell
02-13-2005, 03:52 PM
my band is supposed to put out a Ep soon.

our website is www.geocities.com/thehoagiespunx

it not finised cuz im a lazy ****er but still..

theres also the panic.

they are recording **** right now. but soem of there members are douches.

you can hear them at www.myspace.com/thepanic

whyvern
02-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Dodgeball tourney in Huntsville to benefit Moronic Records:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/thenrasucks/dodgeballtourney.jpg

RockThe40oz
02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
There's a local band called "The Strap-ons" that I like.. www.thestrap-ons.com

There are a few others like the Monumentals and Tragedies..

www.theTragedies.cjb.net
www.monumentals.cjb.net

There's also Tommy Gun which are OK

www.myspace.com/tommygunpunx

Zombie Squad's not bad either

www.myspace.com/zquad

johnnynemo
02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by RockThe40oz
There's a local band called "The Strap-ons" that I like.. www.thestrap-ons.com

There's a band called the Strap-ons in Austin Tx, as well. Although, I believe they spell it "Strap-Onz".

How many strap-ons are there?

I think we've found a new lesbian party game...

NHGLeadSng
02-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Night Falls in Paris (my band)

Nightfallsinparis.cjb.net (http://www.nightfallsinparis.cjb.net)
Purevolume (http://www.purevolume.com/nightfallsinparis)

heh bastard,
NHG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/nightfallsinparis/flyer.jpg

waterproofpie
02-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Here are a couple fests coming up in the 518 that a lot of people are traveling for...so...if you have a car and are in the tri state area (actually, people from the south are coming up for some of these) check it out! (Yes, I do realize half these bands are considered hardcore, but some of the folks here would like them anywho):

Saturday, May 21st at Valentines in Albany, NY. More info coming soon.
CONFIRMED BANDS:
JERRY'S KIDS
9 SHOCKS TERROR
CAREER SUICIDE
STRAIGHT TO HELL
THE RITES
TOXIC HOLOCAUST
JBA
NO ****ER
SICK AND TIRED
THE JURY

TENTATIVE BANDS:
****ED UP
SKATE KORPSE
PISSED JEANS

Saturday April 16th ***SLUGFEST II***
@ The Shelter Skatepark (35 commerce ave) Albany, NY
RINGWORM
SLAPSHOT
HARLEYS WAR - ALL CRO MAGS SET
100 DEMONS
THE PROMISE
25 TA LIFE
GUNS UP!
DONNYBROOK
THE WARRIORS
IRATE
LAST CALL
SWEAR TO GOD
MURDERS ROW
BRICK BY BRICK
OVERTHROWN
THE TRUTH HURTS
KILLING FLOOR

them_sell
02-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by waterproofpie

Saturday, May 21st at Valentines in Albany, NY. More info coming soon.
CONFIRMED BANDS:
NO ****ER

:eek: i love that band... to bad i live in flordia

waterproofpie
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by them_sell
:eek: i love that band... to bad i live in flordia

Yep they've been around the block in NY. Hah:D

I think I might actually start putting the big punk/ska shows and concerts on here more often:

http://www.hudsonduster.com/images/flyers/april23.jpg

sargasm
02-24-2005, 08:42 PM
In Calgary:

http://www.albertapunk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3778

sargasm
02-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Tomorrow:

http://www.albertapunk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1954

germ
03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
hey theres a show in denver colorado with a band called recklesse ending on the 15th. check em out on myspace.

but really i wanted to do this.

http://c.myspace.com/00066/57/08/66668075_l.jpg

check out that sexy b<e>itch. can you guess who???

waterproofpie
03-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by germ
hey theres a show in denver colorado with a band called recklesse ending on the 15th. check em out on myspace.

but really i wanted to do this.

http://c.myspace.com/00066/57/08/66668075_l.jpg

check out that sexy b<e>itch. can you guess who???

Hah, I got a PM for this post and everything. I love when people remember things I said so long ago. You gain 20+ awesome points!:D

TiMaRmStRoNg101
03-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Sexy.. sexy

WorkinClassHero
03-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by johnnynemo
There's a band called the Strap-ons in Austin Tx, as well. Although, I believe they spell it "Strap-Onz".

How many strap-ons are there?

I think we've found a new lesbian party game...

Just to add to the list you cant forget "lesbian-tendencies"

Berlioz97
03-07-2005, 02:00 AM
^haha in the band I'm in we play a song called Working Class Hero. Its by the 2 guitar players old band. Just wanted to point that out cuz I'm bored.
I hella don't play guitar anymore. :D I'm a bass player now. Hahaha.

WorkinClassHero
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
lol...Thanks for that bit of info :D

BrianApocalypse
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
^haha in the band I'm in we play a song called Working Class Hero. Its by the 2 guitar players old band. Just wanted to point that out cuz I'm bored.
I hella don't play guitar anymore. :D I'm a bass player now. Hahaha.

your IQ dropped by 100... :(